Matchups This Week - Separation Week

Kentucky Windage

Another scenario...Bama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, and OSU all win out. You think OSU is getting in over Oklahoma?

It’s a debate I think Ohio State will win in the end, so yes. If Oklahoma gets in over Ohio State I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the wrong choice, I just don’t think it will play out that way. That scenario you laid out isn’t exactly a likely one. It’s so easy to say if everyone wins out who gets in, but the odds are heavily against everyone winning out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not their fault but doesn't matter. It's really their bad luck TCU stinks as it took what should should be a great win and made it mostly meaningless. What is OSU's fault is getting smoked by an average Purdue team.

100% and that’s something OSU will have to answer for if they get into a debate for the playoff. I just think if OSU wins out there won’t really be a debate because college football will happen and they will basically have a spot by default.

It’s a debate I think Ohio State will win in the end, so yes. If Oklahoma gets in over Ohio State I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the wrong choice, I just don’t think it will play out that way. That scenario you laid out isn’t exactly a likely one. It’s so easy to say if everyone wins out who gets in, but the odds are heavily against everyone winning out.

History says it's not likely but it shows that OSU does not control their own destiny. They have to win out and hope several other teams lose.

History says it's not likely but it shows that OSU does not control their own destiny. They have to win out and hope several other teams lose.

In theory, OSU doesn’t control their own destiny. History does tell us that if they win out they’ll probably be just fine though. I’m not worried about that right now.

So everyone that’s not in the SEC is trash? If you’re using the SEC in 2018 as the measuring stick then yeah the Big 10 isn’t great in comparison. But in the end what does it matter? Ohio State is still Ohio State, Michigan is still Michigan. It doesn’t matter who they play or who they beat. If they take care of business they are going to be in. Right or wrong, teams that have championship level talent and championship winning coaches have built up the cache and will get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. That’s just the world we live in.

I look at every other 1 loss team (in the P5 outside of WVU) right now, and I see a better resume than Ohio State. Their resume, at this point, is abysmal. Now, if a bunch of those other teams lose, it may not matter.

Just look at the resumes of Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Washington State, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. I think an unbiased look at it would conclude that Ohio State is either at the bottom, or very near it in terms of resume.

I think the OSU loss to Purdue says that Ohio State isn’t playing very good defense and is having difficulty running the ball. Any talk about OSU running the table would imply that OSU improves in both of these areas. It’s impossible for them to win out if they don’t. So if they do win out they will have made the case pretty evident that they aren’t that same team that lost to Purdue. If OSU is that same team that lost to Purdue they won’t win out and this conversation won’t matter.

I look at every other 1 loss team (in the P5 outside of WVU) right now, and I see a better resume than Ohio State. Their resume, at this point, is abysmal. Now, if a bunch of those other teams lose, it may not matter.

Just look at the resumes of Kentucky, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Washington State, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. I think an unbiased look at it would conclude that Ohio State is either at the bottom, or very near it in terms of resume.

As you know it’s not always just about resume. There are coaches in the room. They evaluate the talent each team has and they understand that teams have different ceilings. I don’t think there is much of a question that Ohio State has the highest or at least close to the highest ceiling of any 1 loss team. They also have shown to have a low floor. Resumes matter to certain extent but it’s more than just resume that decides who is in the playoff.

Maybe so, but couldn't you really say that about every 1 loss team right now?

100%. But most of the 1 loss teams play another current 1 loss team or better down the stretch. Georgia/ UK, Oklahoma/ WVU, Ohio State/ Michigan, LSU/ Alabama. Everybody except Notre Dame and Wazzu. So yeah everything I’m saying about Ohio State can be applied to every other 1 loss team besides Wazzu.

Never. If Ohio State wins out it won’t matter, we’re in. Plus it makes the Penn State win look better. No matter who wins this game this weekend it helps Ohio State in some way. So no way in hell am I rooting for Michigan this weekend.

So you’re saying if the top 4 teams in the just released polls all win out OS will pass 1 of them?? Sorry, that’s not happening.

In the absolute worst case scenario it becomes a debate between Oklahoma and Ohio State.

I would argue that if UK beats Georgia, wins the rest of their games then loses a decent game against Bama they would still finish ahead of OS. The blowout loss a few years ago kept them out and it’s going to be hard to overcome again this year, Purdue is very average, really bad loss.