Somerset 14 Harlan 7

The Jumpers took the first possesion and ran it downfield for a score. Harlan sold out shutting down John Cole and I would have thought that we would exploit the rest of the defense but they played a majority of the game with 3 down linemen that gave us fits. Thanks to some good running and decisions by Ross Deaton Somerset went up 14-0. Harlan came back to score before half and then man what a defensive battle. Sloppy conditions made it a sloppy game with a few turnovers and 2 blocked punts by Somerset and a huge blocked punt by Harlan that gave then great field postion late. Somerset's defense grew up and won this for the Jumpers. Cam Jones was a MAN tonight, mnaking huge tackles and a big int. on a second half drive. I will say that I would not want to play the Dragons in 2 weeks at their place so this was just a monstrous win for the Jumpers. What an exciting game. Congrats to both teams and good luck Harlan I really look forward to a rematch in 2 weeks.

That Harlan D must be pretty good, it has been talked about all year. Good win Jumpers.

The Harlan D was good--the field helped them somewhat but they are solid. Somerset missed a chip shot field goal and threw an interception in the end zone on what was just a poor decision by Deaton on a 2nd and 1 from about the 20 yard line as well as having one touchdown pass called back. Harlan did have one really good goal line stand and also stopped Somerset on another 4th and 1 in Harlan's territory. However, I also feel as though a lot of the talk of Harlan being much more physical than Somerset was put to rest tonight. The Jumpers D was every bit as physical as the Dragons. Harlan had 2 big plays on their touchdown drive but was pretty much just shut down other than that. On Somerset's two touchdown drives they pretty much just lined up and ran it right at Harlan's D who did seem to be a bit soft on the corners. Harlan has a solid team and played hard tonight, IMO if they play on a dry field in 2 weeks the Jumpers are about 21 points better. However, another game in conditions like this one and we could be in for another dogfight.

Great win for the Jumpers tonight, our Defense really stepped up tonight and came through and made the plays when they needed to. Michael Hager done a good job filling in for Kenny Hughes late in the game. Cam Jones, Logan Lee and AT Hunter all came through with big plays late in the game for the Jumpers tonight. Offense was able to just line up and pound the ball at the Harlan D early in the game, which we hadnt been able to do a lot this year. Once again, I cant give enough props to the Defense!

The Harlan D was good--the field helped them somewhat but they are solid. Somerset missed a chip shot field goal and threw an interception in the end zone on what was just a poor decision by Deaton on a 2nd and 1 from about the 20 yard line as well as having one touchdown pass called back. Harlan did have one really good goal line stand and also stopped Somerset on another 4th and 1 in Harlan's territory. However, I also feel as though a lot of the talk of Harlan being much more physical than Somerset was put to rest tonight. The Jumpers D was every bit as physical as the Dragons. Harlan had 2 big plays on their touchdown drive but was pretty much just shut down other than that. On Somerset's two touchdown drives they pretty much just lined up and ran it right at Harlan's D who did seem to be a bit soft on the corners. Harlan has a solid team and played hard tonight, IMO if they play on a dry field in 2 weeks the Jumpers are about 21 points better. However, another game in conditions like this one and we could be in for another dogfight.

Harlan's defense stopped a MUCH better offense that the Jumper's D did. According to Coach Cobb, Harlan "whipped" the Jumper's offense after the first 6 minutes. Much of the Jumper offense was moving slow after this game. The Somerset D was able to stop an inept offensive performance by the Dragons, but did not physically dominate, they just played smart D. Harlan's D came up time after time, giving the offense opportunity after opportunity, but the O couldn't step up. The big item put to rest tonight was that Harlan couldn't stop Cole, which they did. But credit where credit's due. To Coach Cobb for a solid game plan, and to an improved Somerset D, that did what they had to to stop a sluggish Harlan offense. Should be another dandy in 2weeks. I don't think there is 21 points difference in these 2 teams. I hate the "wet field" arguement, its football, you play with what you get. One last thing I noticed, nice friendly folks at the field, concessions, tickets, and nice facility. If I gotta come back, (and we gotta) might as well come to the Briar Patch!

Great win for the Jumpers tonight, our Defense really stepped up tonight and came through and made the plays when they needed to. Michael Hager done a good job filling in for Kenny Hughes late in the game. Cam Jones, Logan Lee and AT Hunter all came through with big plays late in the game for the Jumpers tonight. Offense was able to just line up and pound the ball at the Harlan D early in the game, which we hadnt been able to do a lot this year. Once again, I cant give enough props to the Defense!

I was impressed by Hunter, but the prob. early was misalignment in the linebacker corps of Harlan. Hats off to the Jumper's though for taking advantage. Once adjustments were made they were shut down.

Harlan's defense stopped a MUCH better offense that the Jumper's D did. According to Coach Cobb, Harlan "whipped" the Jumper's offense after the first 6 minutes. Much of the Jumper offense was moving slow after this game. The Somerset D was able to stop an inept offensive performance by the Dragons, but did not physically dominate, they just played smart D. Harlan's D came up time after time, giving the offense opportunity after opportunity, but the O couldn't step up. The big item put to rest tonight was that Harlan couldn't stop Cole, which they did. But credit where credit's due. To Coach Cobb for a solid game plan, and to an improved Somerset D, that did what they had to to stop a sluggish Harlan offense. Should be another dandy in 2weeks. I don't think there is 21 points difference in these 2 teams. I hate the "wet field" arguement, its football, you play with what you get. One last thing I noticed, nice friendly folks at the field, concessions, tickets, and nice facility. If I gotta come back, (and we gotta) might as well come to the Briar Patch!

I wasn't making excuses about the field, I said that if playing conditions are similar to this week it will be another close game. If its a fast or even decent track you'll get a chance to see a lot more of the Somerset offense. Most of the passes thrown tonight were either deep or screens. Cole and the other Somerset receivers can really hurt you on passes across the middle and that is the part of the passing game that suffers the most in a quagmire. I felt that really hurt Harlan's game too, they had some receivers break open and just couldn't get the ball to them a couple of times. We hope to see you back in a couple of weeks.

I wasn't making excuses about the field, I said that if playing conditions are similar to this week it will be another close game. If its a fast or even decent track you'll get a chance to see a lot more of the Somerset offense. Most of the passes thrown tonight were either deep or screens. Cole and the other Somerset receivers can really hurt you on passes across the middle and that is the part of the passing game that suffers the most in a quagmire. I felt that really hurt Harlan's game too, they had some receivers break open and just couldn't get the ball to them a couple of times. We hope to see you back in a couple of weeks.

:thumb: Right on target! Both teams suffere from the rain, but after thinking about it, it prob. did favor Harlan. In that case "let it rain"!!! Both teams need to refocus to their 1st playoff games, esp. Harlan, who has to play a Jacket team who is rolling and healthy, and our offense needs some real work.

Sure after the first couple of drives, our offense started to struggle. Harlan scored on what was a defensive blow by one of our corners. Sounds like to me misalignment hurt us both. I believe both offenses were "whipped" by the other defense.

The weather played into each defenses favor. As far as this game proving that Harlan can stop Somerset's offense I would say you are right on a very sloppy field. With that said, if Somerset sees Harlan again in two weeks and it is dry then I think Somerset's offense would open up more. By the way Cole only recieved 7 balls thrown his way and he caught 5 of those for 49 yards with one 48 yard touchdown catch called back on a hold that was not even there. I don't know if you can call that shutting Cole down. Also late in that game, Somerset lost Kenny Hughes due to a real bad gash that he had to get stitches in his arm. That seemed to hurt Somerset's running game a bit.

It was a good old fashioned football game of running the ball in the slop. Somerset ran it 42 times(which is very unusual). If these two teams meet again on a dry surface it will be completely different. Somerset's offense will be able to open up and Somerset's defense once again stop the predictable Harlan offense. I do think that Somerset is at least 21 points better.(should have been 21 points better last night if not for 2 penaltys)

Now all that being said, the boys from both teams last night gave great effort and it was a fun football game to watch. Good luck to both teams in the first round so we can see a rematch.

Chief there was a hold on that play. It was away from the play but our kid did grab I think it was #9. It did not affect the play because he was not going to catch John.

Again I want to give our defense a big thanks!! Somerset fans have kinda been on them all season (including me) so now that they are actually the guys that pulled this one out I want to congratulate them.

The weather played into each defenses favor. As far as this game proving that Harlan can stop Somerset's offense I would say you are right on a very sloppy field. With that said, if Somerset sees Harlan again in two weeks and it is dry then I think Somerset's offense would open up more. By the way Cole only recieved 7 balls thrown his way and he caught 5 of those for 49 yards with one 48 yard touchdown catch called back on a hold that was not even there. I don't know if you can call that shutting Cole down. Also late in that game, Somerset lost Kenny Hughes due to a real bad gash that he had to get stitches in his arm. That seemed to hurt Somerset's running game a bit.

It was a good old fashioned football game of running the ball in the slop. Somerset ran it 42 times(which is very unusual). If these two teams meet again on a dry surface it will be completely different. Somerset's offense will be able to open up and Somerset's defense once again stop the predictable Harlan offense. I do think that Somerset is at least 21 points better.(should have been 21 points better last night if not for 2 penaltys)

Now all that being said, the boys from both teams last night gave great effort and it was a fun football game to watch. Good luck to both teams in the first round so we can see a rematch.

overall a well called game I thought. I really didn't see any "bad calls", however the clock ran out of control end of 4th quarter. Harlan lost at least 25 seconds because refs didn't put time back on the clock after clock keeper went a little wild. Prob. wouldn't have made a diff, but who knows. I think we can all look forward to another good one, but first things first. I doubt Cumberland and the Burg are gonna lay on down so we can rematch.