UK/Coach Cal/KyKy Tandy

I’d say it’s more of the kid not being worth the baggage that comes with him.

I need to say way more from the kid’s dad to consider him baggage. I remember when baggage used to be kids that had bad grades or bad company. Have the goalposts moved and baggage is now parents? At the college level?

I need to say way more from the kid’s dad to consider him baggage. I remember when baggage used to be kids that had bad grades or bad company. Have the goalposts moved and baggage is now parents? At the college level?

Maybe Lavar Ball is who moved the posts.

Maybe Lavar Ball is who moved the posts.

That’s possible. It’s definitely weird to see KyKy’s Dad be put on the same level as Lavar Ball. I’ll never be convinced that Cal hasn’t been around 10s and 20s of dads just like KyKy’s Dad and that things have been fine or worked out if Cal really wanted the kid. KyKy’s Dad lost a game of chess. KyKy is good enough to play immediately at UK but not good enough to play at UK. As a result KyKy’s Dad looks like a bad guy for stating the obvious. I’d say that’s the last we’ll hear from KyKy’s Dad.

That’s possible. It’s definitely weird to see KyKy’s Dad be put on the same level as Lavar Ball. I’ll never be convinced that Cal hasn’t been around 10s and 20s of dads just like KyKy’s Dad and that things have been fine or worked out if Cal really wanted the kid. KyKy’s Dad lost a game of chess. KyKy is good enough to play immediately at UK but not good enough to play at UK. As a result KyKy’s Dad looks like a bad guy for stating the obvious. I’d say that’s the last we’ll hear from KyKy’s Dad.

As you stated , if Cal really wanted the kid.

I just think it's a simple risk vs reward scenario. If he had John Wall talent it wouldn't matter what his dad said.

Hate that I missed this thread from its genesis. It's been a fun read.

The narrative of "UK/UL/WKU need to have in-state talent on their rosters" is one of the more annoying takes we hear annually for both football and basketball, IMO.

I agree, but it's a good look in general to have a few in football, and 1-2 in hoops, as long as they're capable of contributing somehow. Weigh that against the horrible risk of second-guessing backlash if you miss, especially if it comes back to bite directly.

But based on these comments from his Dad, he's not willing to play at Kentucky.

I would love to hear more of the kid's words.

If Rex Chapman has gone to play out of state would there have been shade thrown?

He wouldn't have gone out of state. He was always said to be a big UofL fan.

Could be. Dad is a UK fan and seems frustrated with the process. I get that. Dad probably also wants his son as close to home as possible. I get that too.

Probably an easier trip from Hoptown to L'ville than Lex. Just sayin'. :sssh:

Like who? Lofton is the only one that I can think of that UK fans say that about. Maybe Hopson but didn't UK offer him and he choose UT? And with Lofton there was no scholarships left for him.

Lofton's snub was seen as a big personal affront to one of the strongest hotbeds of loyal UK fandom there is, and he was a known big-game player who thrived at Rupp. It was pretty hard for those folks to have to trade royal blue for that sickly bright orange for a few years.

Mike Scott, GJ Smith, Dwayne Casey, Todd May, Tim Stephens, et al.

Classic names. Recruiting was far less exact then.

I never understand why fans care if they are Kentucky kids or not. There have been a few who could contribute at UK (Hollingsworth comes to mind), but there aren’t any lottery picks floating around. As a fan, I want Calipari to recruit the best players available who fit the program. I don’t care if they come from Jupiter.

Because you and I both know that we pull a little harder for the Kentucky kid who we've already invested several years in. Don't be obstinate. Same darned reason why Cawood had a half-dozen calls on each show asking when Richie would move into the starting lineup.

I've always just assumed that the further south you go, the crazier they get. NKY seems to have much more rationale UK fans. Wonder why that is.

Less competition down south, so there's few people to challenge crazy views. In NoKy, you run into hoops fans from XU, UC, Ohio St., IU, UK, NDU, and to a lesser degree Miami, Dayton, UofL, NKU, etc. You have to be on your game with that kind of competition.

Because you all still have Cincinnati sports to root for that occupies your time. Once you get further south all people have is that they are emotionally invested in is UK basketball.

Yep.

Great thread. :thumb: