2018 US Open Cup

Getslow

Louisville City FC 3

New England Revolution 2

My voice is just about shot. Crazy up and down game. Referee let them play too. Maybe the most purely fun game Ive ever seen Louisville play from a neutral perspective.

New England rolled out a clear second choice side to start the game and Louisville took advantage. If Louisville hadn’t gifted them a couple goals by a keeper mistake and a missed clearance, Louisville would have dominated. As it was, it was 2-2 at the half, despite Louisville having the best of things and more of the possession.

Louisville tacked on the winner in the 62nd minute; an absolute rocket from outside the penalty area to the far corner of the net. New England tried wrest back control in the second half by putting in some guys with US national team experience — Kellyn Rowe and Juan Agudelo — and pressed like heck for the final 20 minutes but couldn’t find the equalizer.

Louisville moves on to the fifth round for the first time ever.

Congrats @Getslow! I thought about you as soon as I saw the result on Twitter. Solid win for Lou FC.

I obviously don't watch a lot of the game in great detail but it sure seemed like FCC had the ball in Minnesota's end a lot of the game. At times, it felt like Minnesota was just playing for overtime and then the shootout, which they then dominated.

Sucks. A win last night and a lucky coin flip could have gotten me lots of money haha!

I obviously don't watch a lot of the game in great detail but it sure seemed like FCC had the ball in Minnesota's end a lot of the game. At times, it felt like Minnesota was just playing for overtime and then the shootout, which they then dominated.

Sucks. A win last night and a lucky coin flip could have gotten me lots of money haha!

That’s definitely a tough way to go out. I wasn’t on board with the “Mitch Hildebrandt is the best keeper in America” vibe that seemed to be going around in Cincy a bit last year, but the guy is GREAT at facing down a penalty kick and he was sorely missed last night.

Fifth round draw set for 11 am today. Remaining 16 teams put into four groups based roughly on geography, then a blind draw determines the matchups within the group. Louisville’s group:

Louisville City FC

Nashville SC

Atlanta United

Chicago Fire

Its weird that Orlando got shipped north to play New York, Philly, DC. But Kansas City was making problems putting together a Midwest group with the Texas Teams and Minnesota. Someone that should have been in the southeast was going to get shipped out.

Louisville City FC 3

New England Revolution 2

My voice is just about shot. Crazy up and down game. Referee let them play too. Maybe the most purely fun game Ive ever seen Louisville play from a neutral perspective.

New England rolled out a clear second choice side to start the game and Louisville took advantage. If Louisville hadn’t gifted them a couple goals by a keeper mistake and a missed clearance, Louisville would have dominated. As it was, it was 2-2 at the half, despite Louisville having the best of things and more of the possession.

Louisville tacked on the winner in the 62nd minute; an absolute rocket from outside the penalty area to the far corner of the net. New England tried wrest back control in the second half by putting in some guys with US national team experience — Kellyn Rowe and Juan Agudelo — and pressed like heck for the final 20 minutes but couldn’t find the equalizer.

Louisville moves on to the fifth round for the first time ever.

It would be awesome to have Atlanta United come into Louisville. That is the ONE team that I would drive to Louisville and pay to watch.

It would be awesome to have Atlanta United come into Louisville. That is the ONE team that I would drive to Louisville and pay to watch.

They have an amazing amount of talent. I’m not an MLS guy, but under that system, Atlanta is a model for how to operate a new franchise.

I saw that Andrew Carlton scored in their cup match last night. One of the most exciting young players attached to an MLS team right now.

That’s definitely a tough way to go out. I wasn’t on board with the “Mitch Hildebrandt is the best keeper in America” vibe that seemed to be going around in Cincy a bit last year, but the guy is GREAT at facing down a penalty kick and he was sorely missed last night.

He was definitely missed last night. I think a lot of the "Mitch being the greatest" also came from the fact that he just seemed like a really good dude too. Very likeable.

Plus the Bailey probably helped his popularity with the "Mitch Says No" chant they always did.

Louisville's card comes out second.

Mid-East Regional, likely on June 20:

Louisville City FC (USL) hosts Nashville SC (USL)

Atlanta United (MLS) hosts Chicago Fire (MLS)

The winners of those two games to play quarterfinal in either Atlanta or Chicago in early July.

• 1 month later...

Down to the final eight. All these games are tonight, July 18. Louisville is the last non-MLS team standing.

Louisville City FC at Chicago Fire

Orlando City SC at Philadelphia Union

Portland Timbers at Los Angeles FC

Sporting Kansas City at Houston Dynamo

WMYO TV will be airing the Louisville game locally but I believe all four games will be streamed at US Soccer’s website.