Barack Obama -- President in 2008

He has repeatedly said that he will not run UNTIL Sunday with Tim Russert on Meet the Press. Instead he said that he is reconsidering and after the 2006 election is over, he will sit down and give it some serious discussion.

Any views of Barack? Can he get the nomination? It was indicated, not by him but by the report, that he is being pushed by those who fear Hilary is going to get the nomination and believe she can't win against a Republican.

Anyone know of any of his stances on issues? Abortion? Marriage Amendment? Taxes?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Abortions should be legally available in accordance with Roe v. Wade."

"I don't think marriage is a civil right, but I think that not being discriminated against is a civil right. I think making sure that we don't engage in the sort of gay-bashing that, I think, has unfortunately dominated this campaign-not just here in Illinois, but across the country-is unfortunate, and that kind of mean-spirited attacks on homosexuals is something that the people of Illinois generally have rejected."

Bush tax cuts help corporations but not middle class

Voted NO on permanently repealing the `death tax`

Tax incentives to create jobs at home instead of offshore

Voted YES on $47B for military by repealing capital gains tax cut.

Voted NO on extending the tax cuts on capital gains and dividends.

Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security.

Voted YES on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship.

Obama supports the folowing principles regarding immigration:

*Continue to extend state-funded welfare benefits for legal immigrants.

*Use state funds to continue some Medicaid coverage for legal immigrants.

Anyone that thinks this guy does not have a chance of becoming the POTUS is not paying attention. While his policies will be part of the equation, he is one of those unique orators who can rally a crowd like few others.

A lot can happen between now and 08 but if President Bush and the Republican party do not get some positive mojo going, it will be a dogfight and this guy will have many new people involved - people that have sat out of campaigns due to disinterest. IMO he will have a JFK type affect should he choose to run.

He has a couple of things to overcome:

1) Name sounds Muslim. (He's not. His father is from Kenya.)

2) He's African-American. This would be an advantage if he was a Republican as it would help him pick up Democrat votes. Otherwise, its an obstacle. (IMO, it should never be an obstacle, but it is.)

3) Will be considered too inexperience, having only served four years in state senate and 4 years in US senate.

2) He's African-American. This would be an advantage if he was a Republican as it would help him pick up Democrat votes. Otherwise, its an obstacle. (IMO, it should never be an obstacle, but it is.)

3) Will be considered too inexperience, having only served four years in state senate and 4 years in US senate.

Isn't that more than William Jefferson and GW had?

Isn't that more than William Jefferson and GW had?

Slick Willy and W had 11 and 6 years respectively running an administration. And yes, I think being a governor is more pertinent experience than being any kind of senator.

Slick Willy and W had 11 and 6 years respectively running an administration. And yes, I think being a governor is more pertinent experience than being any kind of senator.

They addressed that but said that could turn out to be considered a positive as people would view him as an outsider of the DC politics instead of part of the problem.

Just my .02 worth -

I think you'll see a Democratic ticket in 2008 of either Clinton / O'Bama or Clinton / Clinton.

I told a good friend (who is a strong Republican) in late 2001 that if W won a second term (which he obviously did) that he would be the last Republican president for a while.

Time may well prove me wrong, but at this point in time, I'm beginning to think that prediction might well be accurate.

Frances

Just my .02 worth -

I think you'll see a Democratic ticket in 2008 of either Clinton / O'Bama or Clinton / Clinton.

I told a good friend (who is a strong Republican) in late 2001 that if W won a second term (which he obviously did) that he would be the last Republican president for a while.

Time may well prove me wrong, but at this point in time, I'm beginning to think that prediction might well be accurate.

Frances

Rather than time, I think the quality of the Democratic candidate will determine whether we have another Republican President or not.

Not that any of these should keep someone from voting for Obama, but I am sure that one or all of these factors would cost him votes. I am still not convinced that America is at the point where it will elect either a female or an African-American President. I hope I am wrong.

Not that any of these should keep someone from voting for Obama, but I am sure that one or all of these factors would cost him votes. I am still not convinced that America is at the point where it will elect either a female or an African-American President. I hope I am wrong.

Good question, I think is would they more easily elect a female African-American before they would elect a male African-American?

Just my .02 worth -

I think Obama would make a good running mate for the Dem ticket, But not with Hillary. I think she's unelectable. Gore/Obama might be better, if Gore can distance himself from the movie fiction he made.

Also, I believe the XII and XXII amendments block a Clinton/Clinton ticket.

"Abortions should be legally available in accordance with Roe v. Wade."

"I don't think marriage is a civil right, but I think that not being discriminated against is a civil right. I think making sure that we don't engage in the sort of gay-bashing that, I think, has unfortunately dominated this campaign-not just here in Illinois, but across the country-is unfortunate, and that kind of mean-spirited attacks on homosexuals is something that the people of Illinois generally have rejected."

Bush tax cuts help corporations but not middle class

Voted NO on permanently repealing the `death tax`

Tax incentives to create jobs at home instead of offshore

Voted YES on $47B for military by repealing capital gains tax cut.

Voted NO on extending the tax cuts on capital gains and dividends.

Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security.

Voted YES on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship.

Obama supports the folowing principles regarding immigration:

*Continue to extend state-funded welfare benefits for legal immigrants.

*Use state funds to continue some Medicaid coverage for legal immigrants.

The bolded one confused me. Why would we provide welfare benefits for someone that is not a citizen of this country? If they come to this country to better themselves and it is not working, should the thought be to return home, seek citizenship rather than let the government continue to support you until you can make it work.

I think Obama would make a good running mate for the Dem ticket, But not with Hillary. I think she's unelectable. Gore/Obama might be better, if Gore can distance himself from the movie fiction he made.

Also, I believe the XII and XXII amendments block a Clinton/Clinton ticket.

I think Gore has lost all credibility with the race of 2000. I would find it very hard to give him any serious consideration unless the Rep candidate was worse than him.