Chad Wants Bolder Offense

Don't get me wrong. I understand that he is frustrated. I understand that he thinks enough passes aren't coming his way.

HOWEVA

You don't call out the playcalling and you DON'T call out your quarterback in public, no matter how subtle it was. Is he yelling at the OC on the sidelines like TO? No. Is he being loud about it? No. However, it's still the same thing no matter what approach is taken.

Address the problems behind closed doors and shut your trap. He should have known better than to let the media bait him like that.

I see you point BUT, no one is making a big deal out of it except for this thread on BGP.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was picked up as a story by the Associated Press and disiminated across the country. I'd say someone thought his comments warranted a story, even going as far as asking the head coach what he thought of Johnson's comments.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that he is frustrated. I understand that he thinks enough passes aren't coming his way.

HOWEVA

You don't call out the playcalling and you DON'T call out your quarterback in public, no matter how subtle it was. Is he yelling at the OC on the sidelines like TO? No. Is he being loud about it? No. However, it's still the same thing no matter what approach is taken.

Address the problems behind closed doors and shut your trap. He should have known better than to let the media bait him like that.

But I think he did it in a professional manner. There was no Keyshaun "Get me the darn ball" demands. There was no I am your playmaker tirades. It was this was our mindset before and we have to get back to that mindset again.

I for one have been impressed with how he has handled himself with the 1 catch game and the struggles. He has shown himself, UP TO THIS POINT, in being different than a TO.

And I think he has something. LY, they had something to prove and could take chances. So what if they finished 8-8 again, it was the Bengals. Let's take chances and do it.

Now they are towards the top and have something to lose with reckless playcalling.

When you are trying to get to the top, you can afford to be reckless.

But it is VERY easy to get conservative when you are at the top and have something to lose.

HOWEVA

This pains me..... but

good post!!

"We have to call it and they have to trust us as receivers," Johnson said. "The quarterback has to trust his receivers to make the plays for him, regardless of what they line up in. We can't allow teams to dictate what we can do. We need to start dictating what we want to do."

Sounds like he's also calling out Palmer as well.

I think Marvin had the best comment.

"We need to take care of the football. We need to make sure we run the right route -- OK? All right?"

HOWEVA

I got this from Bengals.com

“They’re not that far off … and I was getting doubled and tripled before,” Johnson said. “All it is is about opportunity. I would like more opportunities to make plays and based off what they’re doing coverage-wise we’re staying away from that and other people are making plays. Which is good, but we’re still not putting up the kind of points we need to win not only the division but to beat some of the other opponents we’re playing this year.”

Johnson wouldn’t call out the reshuffled offensive line (“I never put it on one particular unit,” he said.) and he insisted he and quarterback Carson Palmer are on the same page despite some incompletions that would suggest otherwise.

“Everyone continues to say that we’re not. I think we’re fine,” Johnson said. “We will get where we have to be very soon. We stay after practice and work on whatever we work on. Trust me, we’ll be all right.”

See I think you are making alot bigger deal out of this than it really is. You say how he puts Carson down in that quote, but I dont think so at all. As from this comments from him, they are just fine. Also what he said in the public about being more aggresive is not that big of a shock because I think we are know as fans that this team on offense hasn't seemed to be as agressive this year. I think some people on here keep trying to Chad to be the same kind of guy like a T.O. or Moss, when really he is not. Shockey went off earlier this year, but the way he did it was not good because of the way he said it. Chad though was really calm about it, and just said what most people already know, so I dont see what the big deal about this is that you are making. All kinds of players come out and give suggestions when the media asks them. I know Bret Favre has done it some as well in the past, these things happen. As long as you dont go about it the wrong way its really not that big of a deal. I mean Chad even talks about how teams are doubling and tripling coveraging him, and other receivers are making plays and that is fine with him. He just suggest that they should be even more aggresive on offense, and sometimes coming out like this would maybe get your team to try harder and be more aggresive like he said. So I think him coming out and saying that is not a bad thing at all, if he did it a bad manner or tone then yeah it wouldn't be a good thing, but he was really calm about it. So I dont think it was a bad thing at all like you have suggested...

If I scream at you and say "You're a no-count loser!!!" then five seconds later in a montone voice say "You're a no-count loser!!!", haven't I really said the same thing. (That wasn't mean't as a personall attack by the way. Just the first analogy that I could think of to prove the point.)

It doesn't matter how the message was delivered, you have to look at the text, not the delivery.

Plus, do you really think Bengals.com is going to run a critical story of Johnson and the Bengals. Did their story have Marvin Lewis' reaction to Chad's comments? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking)

If I scream at you and say "You're a no-count loser!!!" then five seconds later in a montone voice say "You're a no-count loser!!!", haven't I really said the same thing. (That wasn't mean't as a personall attack by the way. Just the first analogy that I could think of to prove the point.)

It doesn't matter how the message was delivered, you have to look at the text, not the delivery.

Plus, do you really think Bengals.com is going to run a critical story of Johnson and the Bengals. Did their story have Marvin Lewis' reaction to Chad's comments? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking)

I'm pretty sure the Chad comments are from the same interview. The article did lead us to speculate trouble. I don't think this is a big deal. It's a deal, but you'd at least call if it was poker. Chad isn't TO or Moss. He isn't demanding the ball and demanding changes. He's been very grown up and mature about the entire situation and year. You are right though that he shouldn't subtly place blame on Carson and Marvin. However, in the same interview he says, it's everyone's fault and refuses to blame the injuries. This being said, I've been screaming throw the ball down field for weeks. When we do only good things happen. I'd like to see the Bengals utilize the PA more and throw overtop 3-6 times a game. The deep ball opens up their offense.

"We have to call it and they have to trust us as receivers," Johnson said. "The quarterback has to trust his receivers to make the plays for him, regardless of what they line up in. We can't allow teams to dictate what we can do. We need to start dictating what we want to do."

From Johnson's perspective, that means throwing deep.

Until his 51-yard catch in the fourth quarter of a 14-13 loss at Tampa on Sunday, Johnson didn't have a catch longer than 18 yards. Defenses are dropping safeties deep in coverage this season, forcing Palmer to throw shorter passes to other receivers.

Johnson wants him to air it out anyway.

"That's what we did before, all the time," Johnson said. "Carson didn't care what defensive back or what safety was over the top. For what? Care for what? Just go make the play anyway."

It's very subtle but in there he does blame the play calling. Since Carson is so involved in play calling and audibling he is blaming his QB and coaches to an extent. I do think it's not that big a deal and we could have much bigger problems in the reciever core (CH?).

A lot of the reason that they aren't throwing the ball deep is because Palmer isn't throwing good right now, and he doesn't have anywhere near as much time as last year to throw. CJ was wrong in calling out anyone because he isn't exactly doing a pro-bowl job (and I know he said we're all doing bad), but it is understandable for him to be frustrated.

A lot of the reason that they aren't throwing the ball deep is because Palmer isn't throwing good right now, .

No it's because teams are stacking safeties overtop to prevent it. What Chad is saying and most recievers say is throw it up there and I'll go catch it; regardless. They certainly haven't ran anything to protect Carson. If they did I'm sure we'd see more shotgun.