Best 8th grade boys team in state?

Anchor

Really hard to judge this with out seeing the teams in person. Too many teams with players being moved up to play Frosh and JV. And way too many hold back players. If all school districts allowed for teams to participate in the Middle School state tournament then we could really compare and contrast.

Really hard to judge this with out seeing the teams in person. Too many teams with players being moved up to play Frosh and JV. And way too many hold back players. If all school districts allowed for teams to participate in the Middle School state tournament then we could really compare and contrast.

Who is still holding back players in middle school?

Who is still holding back players in middle school?

Nobody. With eligibility rules, you really can’t hold back kids in middle school, because they won’t be eligible to play in the holdback year. So most “holdbacks” occur in elementary school, and I’d guess many of those decisions are made before the kid even starts school because they have a late birthday. I really don’t consider “holdbacks” a problem anyway. None of these kids are too old under KHSAA rules. And being a year behind in school doesn’t in itself make you a star.

Mostly have just seen Central KY Teams, but some of the teams that I thought were pretty good were Clark Co, N Pulaski, and Boyle. Lexington Middle Schools are just starting this week and No Kentucky always has some good ones. Of course there is Barrett that won state last year as 7th graders, if they are still intact they may be the team to beat again this year. Starting a new thread of KBA State 8th grade and also 7th Grade as it is not too far off

Nobody. With eligibility rules, you really can’t hold back kids in middle school, because they won’t be eligible to play in the holdback year. So most “holdbacks” occur in elementary school, and I’d guess many of those decisions are made before the kid even starts school because they have a late birthday. I really don’t consider “holdbacks” a problem anyway. None of these kids are too old under KHSAA rules. And being a year behind in school doesn’t in itself make you a star.

There are schools still doing it, i know of 3 that have since the regulation took affect, and have allowed the players involved to play during the holdback year. None have been punished by the KHSAA yet for it, probably wont either.

There have been about 10 or so players that have held back and not played per the rules, thats just in football.