Mother of high school athlete who died after collapsing at school files lawsuit

All State Baseball

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - The mother of a high school athlete who died after collapsing at Dunbar High School in April has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against trainers, coaches, the athletic director, the principal, & the Fayette County Public School's superintendent.

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Mother-of-high-school-athlete-who-died-after-collapsing-at-school-files-lawsuit-463411543.html

Tragic loss. Are AEDS required by law to be in all KY schools or was this just a policy for Dunbar?

When softball is in season, we (NewCath) have one at our field, once the season is over it goes back to school. I think we have 4 or 5 of these machines, they run about $1500 each.

Feel bad for this family, and until all the facts of the case are out there, I'll wait to comment.

When softball is in season, we (NewCath) have one at our field, once the season is over it goes back to school. I think we have 4 or 5 of these machines, they run about $1500 each.

Feel bad for this family, and until all the facts of the case are out there, I'll wait to comment.

Agreed. There are likely a lot of variables here.

AEDS are great life savers. Particularly in baseball/softball where a ball hitting someone in the chest can cause an arrhythmia. Electrolyte imbalances, common to athletes can also cause them. Schools should have them and have all adults trained in how to use them. They are pretty simple to operate.

I was wondering from a legal standpoint if high schools were required to have them or if it was the policy of this particular school. Every school should have them, particularly around athletic fields and gyms. Obviously, for whatever reason, this particular child did not get one in time. Sounds like there was understandable panic when the one that was supposed to be there was not. Lots of pain for all involved.