A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg

I was a Fogelberg fan and covered his tunes which was a hit with the wife during the wooing phase. We lived outside of Boulder, CO and his place was in Nederland, just 15 miles up Boulder Canyon and site of the ski area where I learned to ski. People said he would often wander into the local pub and spontaneously play a set for the customers.

Oddly enough, Jimmy Buffet, who covers "Theres a Place in the World for a Gambler" on the album, did the same. He used to show up on the Sun Coast beaches and do impromptu "sessions" all of the time. I was fortunate to be at 2 of them.

"Same Old Lang Syne". By a lot.

Nice song to listen to anytime, but especially this time of year.

We drank a toast to Innocence

We drank a toast to Now

And tried to reach beyond the emptiness

But neither one knew how

We drank a toast to Innocence

We drank a toast to Time

Reliving in our eloquence

Another "Auld Lang Syne "

Nether Lands was the first Fogelberg song I ever heard and is far and away my favorite. The accompanying orchestra, the dramatic lyrics, the great vocal range in the song. Wonderful.

Leader of the Band and Run for the Roses are tied for second.

Dan's father, Lawrence, was a bandleader." Leader of the Band" was a tribute to his dad.

Back in the day Dan Fogelberg debuted Run for the Roses at the Red Barn on UofL’s campus on Derby Eve. I was a student living on campus at the time. My room mate (who introduced me to Fogelberg) went to the Red Barn to attempt to get in. I didn’t chance it because it was to be broadcast live on local TV. I watched on TV and he got in to see it live. I still kick myself.

I actually knew that but thanks. Have you had a chance to listen to the tribute album? What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately, I haven't as of it. Give me another week or two and I will give you my thoughts. Typically, I am not a big fan of covers of great songs/artists because they often pale in comparison to the original. But there are some great artists on this tribute so I am looking forward to listening. I'll check back in with you and we will compare notes.

I bought the album and like most of the renditions. I really like Jimmy Buffet's cover of "There's A Place in The World For A Gambler". I didn't expect that.

However, I don't care for Train doing "Same Old Lang Syne" or Michael McDonld's rendition of "Better Change".