Board of Control on Future Hoops Calendar, Regional Alignment & State Advancement

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news / bad news for Woodford.

Good news is that they undoubtedly have a better chance of competing for a possible region title in the 8th Region.

Bad news is that - over the past 12 seasons - the Yellowjackets are 94-88 vs 11th region foes and 13-22 versus 8th Region opponents....

CM

Although I question some of the things the KHSAA does, these re-districting decisions are really tough. It's easy for those of us, for example, in the 8th to say that the Franklin County schools make more sense to be in the 8th region than some of the schools that ARE in the region - but there's the domino effect. At some point, you have to just make all 16 regions look as reasonable as possible, knowing that there are going to be isolated instances where things look askew.

I, for one, honestly don't care much about whether the teams in my county are in the same district or not. I think Ru said it best earlier....it all my teams were in different districts/regions, it gives them all the chance to win a title without knocking out the others.... (in Oldham County, though, all three teams do, in fact, compete in the same district, the 29th)

CM

I could care less who is what Region. What makes me scratch my head

KHSAA talks about travel for schools. Yet this move doesn’t fit that description.

Secondly when a member school has person on the Board of controls and it appears they are the only school to benefit from a move that doesn’t meet my first point. It appears some funny business took place.

They were? I was in HS beginning in 1976-7, and they were in the 8th Region then.... You must be going way, way back....

Perhaps you're thinking of Scott HIGH, not Scott County?

CM

No, he's talking about Scott County. They were in the 10th when they first opened (late 50s/early 60s). They were in a district with Harrison County, Cynthiana, and Georgetown High.

No, he's talking about Scott County. They were in the 10th when they first opened (late 50s/early 60s). They were in a district with Harrison County, Cynthiana, and Georgetown High.

And this is part of the re-alignment problem. 2 of the 4 schools mentioned here no longer exist, G'town and Cynthiana. Everyone is trying their best to only have 4 team districts and only old rivals, which would be great just not feasible. That was not always the case as I remember a time not long ago (1989) that Pike County alone had 10 small high schools. (Belfry, Pikeville, Dorton, Virgie, Elkhorn City, Feds Creek, Johns Creek, Mullins, Millard, Phelps.) They were almost a region by themselves by today's logic.