Covington Catholic 45 Beechwood 9

CovCath is a good team but with playing some many kids both ways they might have a hard time winning 5A.

They play them both ways because they are that good. It's not as if they don't have other capable players. They are stacked in the Junior and Sophomore classes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cord of Wood

"Someone at Cov Cath told me he was worried. That is why I take BW by 8".

Theoldguy wasn't worried at all, he was just not wanting to take the bait and let the team do it's thing. I didn't care if it was by 1 or a 101, or, as it turned out by 34 points, a W is still a W.

BTW Beechwood will win the 1 A State Championship they are a very good team but Ryle, LexCath and Kings all would beat them.

CovCath is a good team but with playing some many kids both ways they might have a hard time winning 5A.

Enough. You now have two measuring sticks to see where SK stands vs CCH in the mythical NKY championship: CCH led Ryle 41-7 at Half, and had a running clock on Beechwood in the 2nd Quarter. If SK can come close to that, or exceed it then we have a conversation. This CCH team is better than some of their state title teams in my opinon.

Enough. You now have two measuring sticks to see where SK stands vs CCH in the mythical NKY championship: CCH led Ryle 41-7 at Half, and had a running clock on Beechwood in the 2nd Quarter. If SK can come close to that, or exceed it then we have a conversation. This CCH team is better than some of their state title teams in my opinon.

We will have several scores to compare

Beechwood

Ryle

Campbell County

Dixie

Highlands

Cooper

Holy cow! We ran into a buzz saw! Congrats to the Colonels!

Keep your kids heads up, they will walk away with the 1A state title! They are a great group of kids, they play hard and didn't quit and I was impressed with the Beechwood fan base, as they stayed until the bitter end and never stopped cheering their kids on! :thumb:

CCH is four TDs better than Simon Kenton but we will never know because SK won't play them

Not arguing with you Zig but where did you get that information from? Because it sounds a lot like the SK WBB being accused of refusing to play Holmes Lady Dawgs. But amazingly Holmes girls coach leaves and this season they play each other. Again, not arguing, just an observation.

SK is no where near Cov Cath. I can assure you that.

You really can't assure anything. A. Have you seen SK play? B. Have they played a common opponent on the same night at the same time? C. Do they play each other? Let SK play out their 6A schedule and CovCath play out their 5A schedule and hopefully, stress hopefully, SK brings it home in 6A, CovCath does it in 5A, Scott does it in 4A, NCC in 2A (Much to my personal dismay), and Beechwood wins 1A. How great would that be for NKY???

The skill position kids for CovCath are extremely good. This is the best CCH team that I can remember. I don't know what's up with Burch but he is not the same kid that I saw play last year. I will say it again get the ball to Castleman!! The kid was hardly targeted in the first half..

I will agree with those saying best Covington Catholic team ever. If there is a better group of skill position players in the state, you will have to show me a lot of proof. Yes, I am including Trinity, St. X, Male and everyone else. Covington Catholic has the best skilled players in the state. A D1 QB, a D1 tight end, a group of WR's that have to be the biggest in the state with speed along with the size and a couple good RB's.

Needless to say a very good Beechwood team was simply overmatched. Anyone who thinks less of Beechwood after this game needs to watch Covington Catholic. It took Beechwood a while to catch up to the Colonels. But that is why Beechwood plays Covington Catholic and other big schools. No one else on Beechwood's schedule will push Beechwood like Covington Catholic. That is how a really good team gets even better. It doesn't happen playing weaker teams and winning by running clocks.

I am sure the Tigers are disappointed in the way they played. Watch the film and take in the learning experience that hopefully will help them get state title #13. If that happens, I guess we can say thanks to the Colonels for helping make the Tigers a better team.

Great post!!! Well said!!!!! This is why Beechwood schedules who they do to prepare them for the playoffs! They had a couple hobbled kids but realized it was t worth risking a worse injury and pulled them. This was a learning experience you can't get by playing inferior opponents.

It's a fair question considering the hype and the thread started this past week.

It was just bad timing on the post for me. It came across as a shot opposed to a legitimate question.

As to where Beechwood ranks among Cov Cath's opponents, the Simon Kenton game will help us determine that. Without looking at them real close, I have a hard time thinking Lexington Catholic beats Beechwood. Ryle and Kings - that is where the Simon Kenton game will give us another benchmark to use and see how Beechwood stacks up.

For what it is worth, calpreps.com has Beechwood ranked as Cov Cath's toughest opponent this morning. That includes last night's games. For those who weren't part of this discussion in the other thread, we are only looking at teams CCH has played so far.