Caldwell County quarterback quits football

Guest fogdog.com

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a really good QB, but given bad advice by his travel ball coach. I'm familiar with the travel ball coach. I had to deal with him all the time.

It's sad these bad travel coaches mess with 17-18 kids. That's why they can't get coaching jobs on high school or colleges.

He's a really good QB, but given bad advice by his travel ball coach. I'm familiar with the travel ball coach. I had to deal with him all the time.

It's sad these bad travel coaches mess with 17-18 kids. That's why they can't get coaching jobs on high school or colleges.

While I agree a travel ball has no business in being involved in this decision, if the kid doesn't love football, or his heart isn't in it, why is not playing a bad decision?? People on the outside telling the kid it's a bad and trying to convince him to play are no different than a travel ball coach telling him not to play.

I know kids that love football, but when an adult tells them, "hey man! If you quit football and go all summer-fall, you will dominate your senior year on baseball."

Again those 6 kids that played at Owensboro Catholic played at Louisville and ALL of them played in the college World Series. With this kid, we're talking about EKU and Murray State. Give me a break!!

Bottom line. A "snake" ( NOT snakesnot) gave the kid bad advice.

I know kids that love football, but when an adult tells them, "hey man! If you quit football and go all summer-fall, you will dominate your senior year on baseball."

Again those 6 kids that played at Owensboro Catholic played at Louisville and ALL of them played in the college World Series. With this kid, we're talking about EKU and Murray State. Give me a break!!

I would speak my feelings on travel baseball but I am sure some would be offended.

Very polarizing topic but some parents (especially at the younger ages) are almost cult like in their beliefs.

It's up to the kid. But if he's a pitcher and he wants to play "year round" he's doing nothing but hurting himself. ALLLLLL of the research says that playing multiple sports makes you better at your "main" sport than if you just play that sport.

NO DOUBT Hoptown B-Ball fan, and AGAIN! This kid is not making the decision. It's his travel ball coach.

Do you know for a fact that a baseball coach told him to not play and focus on baseball? Or is that just what you think happened?

Again, why is it bad advice? Why does he need to play football?? If he doesn't love it or want to play, what is to be gained by playing??

Because I know travel ball coaches that tell them if they don't play they won't get a scholarship. My advice to the kid is simple. I have 6 reasons on page 1 that tells him why he should play. Nothing against Murray State, but UL and WKU are better baseball programs and those guys excelled in those programs. Also, those guys were told by his SAME travel ball coach to not play football. Those kids didn't listen to him. He also told them they would lose their scholarships. UL coach said don't listen to that guy. THe REALLY SUCCESSFUL baseball coaches in college and MLB want football kids. The reason is they believe they can fight through pain as a opposed to a kid not use to it.

This kid loves football, hell he has thrown for thousands of yards and before the "Scholarship" offer he loved it. Why now does he not love it? I've done this for 18 years. I deal with travel baseball coaches who can't get coaching jobs in high school. This kid is being told bad advice. AGAIN, the decision was not his.

It's just not travel baseball coaches either. I've seen AAU basketball coaches say the same thing before football season. Here's the kicker....The kid quits football cause they "don't want to get hurt", then they get hurt in basketball and baseball. Weird!!!

Because I know travel ball coaches that tell them if they don't play they won't get a scholarship. My advice to the kid is simple. I have 6 reasons on page 1 that tells him why he should play. Nothing against Murray State, but UL and WKU are better baseball programs and those guys excelled in those programs. Also, those guys were told by his SAME travel ball coach to not play football. Those kids didn't listen to him. He also told them they would lose their scholarships. UL coach said don't listen to that guy. THe REALLY SUCCESSFUL baseball coaches in college and MLB want football kids. The reason is they believe they can fight through pain as a opposed to a kid not use to it.

This kid loves football, hell he has thrown for thousands of yards and before the "Scholarship" offer he loved it. Why now does he not love it? I've done this for 18 years. I deal with travel baseball coaches who can't get coaching jobs in high school. This kid is being told bad advice. AGAIN, the decision was not his.

It's just not travel baseball coaches either. I've seen AAU basketball coaches say the same thing before football season. Here's the kicker....The kid quits football cause they "don't want to get hurt", then they get hurt in basketball and baseball. Weird!!!

Don't know the kid, the travel ball coach or the situation. Just saying as a guy who's kid made a similar decision, I get it. I can understand why a kid would give up his secondary sport after receiving a D1 offer in his favorite sport, the sport he plans on playing in college. It doesn't matter what those guys you mention did..different situation, different people. And regardless of how great he was in football, with his college future already secured in another sport, there's really nothing to be gained for him playing football. It sounds like the risk isn't worth the reward to him. I get it.

I don't disagree with the fact there is bad advice being given, and that many kids specialize too early and unnecessarily.

Once again do you know for a fact a summer coach told him to quit football. Have you actually talked to the kid himself and asked? Has he told you he still loves football but thinks it's best to focus on baseball? I assume your close with him, since you say you know he still loves football?

I don't know the kid. Do you?

I've dealt with this a 100 times.

How many times have you? None probably.

You don't be a starter since sophomore year and pass for all those yards and just quit.

Again! Someone(travel coach) has given him bad advice. He was going to play until a week before the dead period. Why quit now? Oh the travel coach told him.