Germany's Helmut Kohl dead, aged 87

The chancellor of Germany from 1982 to 1998, he oversaw the end of the Cold War and the reunification of Germany. He was also, along with French President Francois Mitterrand, the architect of the Maastricht Treaty that created the European Union.

His 16-year administration was the longest of any democratically-elected German leader and he was an instrumental force in shaping Europe and the world at large at the end of the Cold War and after the fall of the USSR.

BBC Obituary for Helmut Kohl

We sometimes forget how people from other countries can affect us in the United States. Helmut Kohl was a big deal. The wall coming down was huge for Europe. Ending the Cold War meant an end of the need for so many American military installations in Europe, and especially in Germany.

Never heard of him....:idunno:

If you've never read anything on the fall of the Berlin Wall and subsequent reunification I encourage you to do so. Fascinating time period with issues still unresolved. Kohl plays a major role.

Kohl was a hell of an important role in pushing communism back from Eastern Bloc, and effectively bringing much of European society forward from the 1950s/1960s cultural rut it had been stuck in.

I also think of him (and my AP European history class) each and every time I drive past a Kohl's department store.