Career Criminal kills police officer.

All Tell

LINK

Since we have posters that want to dissect every police involved shooting I thought I would bring this one up. Backstory, Officer Rodman was killed when his vehicle was struck by a vehicle driven by this career criminal while evading other officers. From the article.

Woods also has pending charges from a September 2015 arrest for drug trafficking and engaging in a organized crime syndicate. He posted a $10,000 bond and was arrested again in October 2015 for drugs.

My question, why was this sleeze bag on the street? He bonded out and was arrested again a month later. Can someone justify the seeming revolving door that allowed this "man" to be out of jail?

The jails are busting at the seams. That is the cold hard fact. I don't like these criminals being out on the streets but there is a push to let non-violent offenders out on a low bail or ROR (released on their own recognizance).

I don't agree with it either. I complain to my County Attorney every time he does it.

The jails are busting at the seams. That is the cold hard fact. I don't like these criminals being out on the streets but there is a push to let non-violent offenders out on a low bail or ROR (released on their own recognizance).

I don't agree with it either. I complain to my County Attorney every time he does it.

This pretty much sums it up.

Until jails aren't packed full of non-violent or non-career criminals, guys like this will continue to be let out.

I'd guess a 1/4 maybe a 1/3 of local arrest are for "Failure to Appear" which means they were released from jail for, in most cases non-violent crimes, yet they never show back up to court. Then when they are arrested later after their ID gets ran at some other call or traffic stop, they go into jail and STAY until their next court date which could be weeks. That is a big reason local jails are full of non-violent criminals.

As far as jails being full of non-career criminals, unless you've committed a major crime...nearly all first time offenders are routinely released within 12-24 hours.

I'd make an educated guess that 1/5 to 1/6 of people in local jails are there for probation violations, meaning again they were released and had every opportunity to stay out of jail. Then THEY screw up and fail a drug test or other condition of their release and right back to jail they go.

Believe it or not the Criminal Justice system, at least in Kentucky, bends over backwards to keep people out of jail. When people are released from jail after an arrest and fail to appear in court or fail a condition of their release, that's on them not the big old evil Criminal Justice System...When they get locked up again.