Open Job: Mercer County

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Kurt Young will be named head coach at Frederick Douglass later today.

I may be behind on this topic but is this a job that you typically would leave MC for or could this be some inside knowledge coach may know about Faulkner next season.

I may be behind on this topic but is this a job that you typically would leave MC for or could this be some inside knowledge coach may know about Faulkner next season.

The new Lexington school has all kinds of possibilities. It's in a great area to pull local kids from. But i also understand that's it's an I20 school. So they can get international kids in.

Since this is a brand new school and will be first season playing athletics, I'm not sure that's a question that has an answer.

However, since it will be a brand new school in Lexington with new facilities and will be garnering a lot of attention early on, I'd say it's probably more "high profile" right now than Mercer is. I'd say it's a very exciting opportunity for any coach.

Also from what I understand it will also house the Fayette Charter School as well. In the past because the Fayette Charter school was not housed in a regular school building so students who attended still played athletics at their home school now if they attend the Charter school they will play for Frederick Douglas sports teams. That could provide a lot opportunities for the school.

I don't think Young had any connection to Mercer, other than serving as an assistant them bumping up to head coach after Cook left. Faulkner will be there next year, but I'd guess he's betting that the long term future is stronger at Douglass than at Mercer.

I don't think Young had any connection to Mercer, other than serving as an assistant them bumping up to head coach after Cook left. Faulkner will be there next year, but I'd guess he's betting that the long term future is stronger at Douglass than at Mercer.

Kurt Young came from Virginia. He wasn't an assistant under Cook.