Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brent Musburger Calling it Quits

Featured Replies

There has to be a part of him that has had enough after the Katherine Webb outrage thing and then, most recently, Joe Mixon.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is part of a new Vegas sports radio network.

Seems strange to leave one month before the regular season ends.

Musburger has grown on me over the years. Never really liked him that much when he was with CBS way back when, doing The NFL Today studio hosting. However, I thought he did a good job actually calling the games (liked him more doing football than basketball).

Musburger inspired me to get the football out and throw it around with pops... I'll sure miss his calls.

Never been a fan of Mussberger. I wish him well on his retirement and future endeavors though.

Seems strange to leave one month before the regular season ends.

 

Said he was prepared to stay the entire year but then "they" wanted him to do certain things for his last year so decided to end it at the UK game.

Said he was prepared to stay the entire year but then "they" wanted him to do certain things for his last year so decided to end it at the UK game.

 

That makes sense. Sounds like he didn't want to making the games he was calling, about him. Respect.

Like him or hate him his voice will go down as legendary just like Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, etc

A couple of people has said that he may have some serious health concerns and as soon as I heard the announcement, I thought the same. I hope not, always liked Musburger even though at times he will say something that makes a person stop and scratch their head :idunno: about what and/or why he said it. Musburger has been broadcasting for close to 60 years ...that in itself is unbelievable. Should anyone last that long at a job, it's obvious that he's good / well respected at his job. 2 household names in broadcasting have left this past year, Lundquist and now Musburger.....we all have been listening to all of our lives and it will leave big void will be in sports broadcasting.

I like the fact that his last game opening call will be "we are broadcasting live from Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY.".

There has to be a part of him that has had enough after the Katherine Webb outrage thing and then, most recently, Joe Mixon.
I agree. I heard him comment on those and others on a broadcast last week, saying that the one on K. Webb / the Bama's qb fiancé' being the one over all others that was the most unbelievable to him and he thought it was ridiculous.

He's grown on me over the years but I didn't care much about him back in the 1980's.

I could be thinking about the wrong announcer but I believe he is the one who made an erroneous statement either about the UK program or Coach Hall during a game he was doing. Shortly afterwards he discovered he made a mistake. Coach Hall said he got a call at about 2am, which of course woke him from sleep, and the caller asked if it was coach Hall and coach replied it was. Musberger said, "Coach, I was wrong with what I said during the broadcast and I apologize."

Then he hung up without giving Hall time to reply.

I remember Coach Hall telling that story. I always thought it might have been a prank caller but Coach Hall seemed to think it was actually Musberger, and he thought it strange that he didn't give him time say much more than hello and yes.

He's grown on me over the years but I didn't care much about him back in the 1980's.

I could be thinking about the wrong announcer but I believe he is the one who made an erroneous statement either about the UK program or Coach Hall during a game he was doing. Shortly afterwards he discovered he made a mistake. Coach Hall said he got a call at about 2am, which of course woke him from sleep, and the caller asked if it was coach Hall and coach replied it was. Musberger said, "Coach, I was wrong with what I said during the broadcast and I apologize."

Then he hung up without giving Hall time to reply.

I remember Coach Hall telling that story. I always thought it might have been a prank caller but Coach Hall seemed to think it was actually Musberger, and he thought it strange that he didn't give him time say much more than hello and yes.

 

Brent always had some interesting foibles in his career.

 

My first experience with him was the NFL Today on CBS with Phyllis George and Jimmy the Greek.

 

He used to grate on me sometimes but then I began to realize that most of the time I hardly knew he was there which is the hallmark of a good broadcaster.

 

Of course who can forget:

 

I hated it when Musburger called college basketball games. He just never seemed all that interested in the sport nor did he seemed very knowledgeable. I was fine with his coverage of sports like football and boxing, which he seemed to enjoy calling more. With college basketball, it just seemed like he showed up to fulfill a contractual obligation.

He is part of a new Vegas sports radio network.

 

I believe his show will be on Sirus XM channel 95 . He is one of the all time best. But I also like to throw a few bucks on a game and appreciate he did as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.