Covington Catholic 8 Ryle 6 (Frosh)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a well-played game.

Lots of turnovers. Neither offense, especially CCH, could get anything going. CCH scored off of a fumbled punt around the 10 yard line to start the game.

Ryle offense moved the ball OK but just couldn't finish. CCH D made plays when they needed them.

Ryle missed a 33 yard FG with about 10 seconds left.

This was a very interesting game. Covington Catholic looked to be the better team in the first half. Then Ryle came out in the second half and totally dominated the game. I will be interested in seeing the yardage totals if The Old Guy has them. My guess is Ryle had 130 yards offense in the second half and Covington Catholic had zero, perhaps even negative yardage. Covington Catholic's defense stepped up in the red zone and Ryle could not get the ball into the end zone. Cusick was very impressive running the ball in the second half for Ryle. Ryle's defense was excellent. Their offense was very limited. Short 5 yard curl routes and Cusick running it.

Ryle tried a 33 yard field goal on third down with 13 seconds to go that was very short. That field goal try surprised me because Ryle's kicker did not look capable of kicking it that far.

The new temporary lights at Covington Catholic are a huge improvement to what was there before. No one should have any complaints about those lights.

I wondered about the 3rd down FG try with 10 or so seconds left. Maybe he was worried about a bad snap?

The kicker looks VERY strong but it appears he gets way under the ball on his kicks. Kickoffs were the same way. Very high. Very short but it didn't appear to be a pooch especially after watching the FG.

I think with a change on where he strikes the ball he can be a good kicker. Really strong.

I wondered about the 3rd down FG try with 10 or so seconds left. Maybe he was worried about a bad snap?

The kicker looks VERY strong but it appears he gets way under the ball on his kicks. Kickoffs were the same way. Very high. Very short but it didn't appear to be a pooch especially after watching the FG.

I think with a change on where he strikes the ball he can be a good kicker. Really strong.

The kicker a freshmen soccer player?

Covington Catholic vs Ryle (Freshmen)

Oct.26 2016

@ CovCath

8-0 CovCath

1st quarter 4:05

Powers 1 yard TD run

Lawrie 2pt conversion Pass from Pwers good

End of the 1st quarter score

CovCath 8 Ryle 0

End of the 2nd quarter and Half time score

Covington Catholic 8 Ryle 0 (Freshmen)

8-6 Ryle

3rd quarter 5:19

Cusick 1 yard TD run

2p conversion run no good

End of the 3rd quarter score

CovCath 8 Ryle 6

End of the 4th quarter and Final score

Covington Catholic 8 Ryle 6

Covington Catholic ends their season with a perfect 9-0 record

I wonder what the final turnover tally was for each team: CCH, I am guessing had to have at least 5....I believe it was 6. The last one was after a nice long run just trying to run the clock out that ultimately gave Ryle the ball back with a couple minutes to go. Ryle with 3 or 4. I think. It was a ugly game.

The wide-open dropped TD pass by CCH in the 1st quarter I thought may come back to haunt them, but it did not. That play worked as a thing of beauty.

Props to the CCH boys for playing touch as they haven't been in many close games, and many of the starters don't come off the field. They had to consistently stop Ryle on their side of the field the majority of the 2nd half.