September 5, 201610 yr I always find this kind of action from police officers interesting and sad at the same time. Do the police officers working the game have to be from the city the stadium is in? This is volunteer work isn't it? Can a different police department from another city work the games? I understand why police officers would feel that way and I understand why they wouldn't want to work the 49ers games until Kaepernick was gone. I've been in that boat where I have had to represent people who can't stand me and would openly put me down every chance they got. At the same time, if I take an oath to serve and protect I will serve and protect even if the people I serve and protect don't like me. I'll serve and protect even if the backup quarterback doesn't like me and won't stand for my anthem. I'll serve and protect because even if I feel the backup quarterback is dead wrong in his words and actions those 50,000 need to be protected. Kaepernick's words aren't hurting anyone. Those 50,000 people in the stadium could do way more damage than anything Kaepernick has said or done. To use that as a bargaining chip doesn't sit well with me. If it is volunteer, then I have no problem with it. If not, then you must do your duty. As far as using it as a bargaining chip, as a union President, I'm sure you would use whatever is legally available to you to get what you want/need for your members.
September 5, 201610 yr If it is volunteer, then I have no problem with it. If not, then you must do your duty. As far as using it as a bargaining chip, as a union President, I'm sure you would use whatever is legally available to you to get what you want/need for your members. Not innocent people's safety. Anything but that and actions that I took as union president backed that up. If someone would have gotten hurt at work and I could have done something to stop it then I would have never been able to forgive myself. Other than that, damn straight I am using anything I can for a bargaining chip. The company sure will. And does. I found that out the hard way. True learning experience that I will never forget and likely never get over. It's a cold world out here.
September 5, 201610 yr You could be wrong about what? I could be wrong about my opinion. Something you dont think you have ever been since I have been reading BGP. As soon as I posted what I thought you immediately told me I was wrong as well as the wife of a person you used as a example and continue to do so and yet you insist she is wrong while you never spent a day or spoke a word to Ali. Thats exactly what I meant being you could not read between the lines. I said this so you would not think I was ignoring you.
September 5, 201610 yr If it is volunteer, then I have no problem with it. If not, then you must do your duty. As far as using it as a bargaining chip, as a union President, I'm sure you would use whatever is legally available to you to get what you want/need for your members. I'm thinking it is volunteer but I'm not sure. Agreed if it is volunteer work and agreed if it is not volunteer work. I just wonder if cops from other cities can work the stadium. Especially if it is volunteer. I know the stadium is in Santa Clara so they may have jurisdiction or first dibs on the OT work.
September 5, 201610 yr These type of things are usually considered "contractual OT" or "moonlighting OT". Meaning it's not paid for by the department or tax payers, but those who are profiting from the event. It's not the tax payers burden to fund OT for a sports team, music group, etc. I'm sure it's voluntary OT, thus it's really the 49ers problem
September 5, 201610 yr I was just looking t see if anyone mentioned this, sadly almost everyone who was complaining about Colin are still only talking about him, and not Megan. And why is this? Hmmm. Instead of people complaining about Colin, maybe they should listen to his reasoning, try and get a conversation with him on his reasonings, attempt to see what can be done to change his thoughts. Playing the game that most are playing only solidifies the "why" part. People have every right to sit if they want to, I don't, but as long as someone around me is quite I don't care what they do. (On a side note, I don't stand when they play God Bless America, it's not the national anthem, great and beautiful song, but it's not the national anthem and I will personally in my view is cheapening the veneration that I give the national anthem.) If people are so upset at what they see as disrepecting not so much the anthem, but what about what they see as disrepecting the flag? Most people don't have a problem with the flag being on clothing, hats, sports uniforms, if one would look at the flag code, all that stuff is wrong too. What about the person who decided to place a small flag at the top of the I-75 south ramp on Kyles Lane about a year ago? Where they being patriotic? Well, the flag is all tattered and still there. Shouldn't they dispose of it properly? As will almost all things, as long as someone is quiet and not bothering others and myself, then most likely I don't pay attention to them. If they aren't standing and all for the national anthem I'm concerned about one thing and one thing only, and that is my attention to the flag as well as my concentration on singing the national anthem. She wants to keep the conversation going. U.S. soccer star Megan Rapinoe kneels during national anthem - CBS News
September 5, 201610 yr These type of things are usually considered "contractual OT" or "moonlighting OT". Meaning it's not paid for by the department or tax payers, but those who are profiting from the event. It's not the tax payers burden to fund OT for a sports team, music group, etc. I'm sure it's voluntary OT, thus it's really the 49ers problem Thanks, I was wondering how that worked. Sounds like if the Santa Clara police department turns down the OT then the 49ers can go find security elsewhere but it may not be as trained and efficient as police officers. Thanks for the clarification.
September 5, 201610 yr As far as the police union and this threat, IMO it's just them wanting or feeling the need to puff out their chest. I'll use Cincinnati as an example. Such duties as at the casino, and many other assignments, the officers get paid not by the taxpayer, but in this example with the casino, those own in the facility pays the officers. The officers sign up for this coveted OT. In fact, about 5-6 months after the casino opened the officers who signed up wee still owed money, and the casino was screwing around with the officers pay. Officers were threatening not to sign up anymore if the problem wasn't fixed immediately. If the officers didn't sign up and something tragic happened I'd blame the casino, as it was due to them not paying the people that were supposed to be there is help with security. Payment is not the issue here in Colin's case. But are the officers and union going to risk something happening and the blame comes quickly at the officers and union for not protecting the public. For Bengals games each officer gets at least $36, $37 per hour! The assignments start at different times, but almost all of them start hours before the game and are on the clock until at least 45 mins after the game. This is a heck of a lot of money for anyone to pass up. But let's say that the police and their union went through with this threat without giving the 49er's a notice long before hand so that they may be able to find suitable replacements. If they didn't give the 49er's enough time to find suitable replacements, and let's say that there is some type of terrorists attack at the stadium, the police and their union will be hit immediately with the blame. If the officers and the union want to come out and say that starting next year the 49er's will have to find suitable replacements, I'd be okay with that plan, as it doesn't put people in immediate danger. I also think that if the 49er's go through with this immediately, that any potential terrorist may decide that they will attempt their attack there.
September 5, 201610 yr Thanks, I was wondering how that worked. Sounds like if the Santa Clara police department turns down the OT then the 49ers can go find security elsewhere but it may not be as trained and efficient as police officers. Thanks for the clarification. Agreed, as I said above, IF the police and union gave the 49'ers enough time to find proper replacements.
September 5, 201610 yr I always find this kind of action from police officers interesting and sad at the same time. Do the police officers working the game have to be from the city the stadium is in? This is volunteer work isn't it? Can a different police department from another city work the games? I understand why police officers would feel that way and I understand why they wouldn't want to work the 49ers games until Kaepernick was gone. I've been in that boat where I have had to represent people who can't stand me and would openly put me down every chance they got. At the same time, if I take an oath to serve and protect I will serve and protect even if the people I serve and protect don't like me. I'll serve and protect even if the backup quarterback doesn't like me and won't stand for my anthem. I'll serve and protect because even if I feel the backup quarterback is dead wrong in his words and actions those 50,000 need to be protected. Kaepernick's words aren't hurting anyone. Those 50,000 people in the stadium could do way more damage than anything Kaepernick has said or done. To use that as a bargaining chip doesn't sit well with me. I believe most, if not all, are volunteers. The 49ers would have to hire other security. It seems that many of the officers disagree with you. Here is the text from the letter to the 49ers organization: Mr. Jed York September 2, 2016 San Francisco 49ers 4949 Marie P. DeBartolo Way Santa Clara, CA 95054 Mr. York, The members of the Santa Clara Police Officers' Association {SCPOA) have a long history of working with the San Francisco 49ers organization. This relationship was greatly expanded with the construction of Levi's stadium. Our officers and 49er employees have worked incredibly well together to create a safe and enjoyable environment for guests and employees. This partnership has made Levi's stadium the premier sports venue in the world as evident in the extremely successful Super Bowl 50 operation. Unfortunately, some recent actions by a 49ers employee have threatened our harmonious working relationship. On August 26, 2016, prior to the start of the 49er pre-season football game at Levi's stadium, on duty 49er employee Colin Kaepernick made the decision to exercise his right of free expression and not stand to honor the National Anthem. This expression caught the attention of the media. Following the game, your employee explained to the media that his actions were an attempt to get public attention to the oppression of African Americans and minorities in the United States by police officers. Your employee then insinuated that police officers are being placed on paid leave for murdering minorities. This statement is obviously insulting, inaccurate and completely unsupported by any facts. On August 28, 2016, at 49er training facility in Santa Clara, Mr. Kaepernick again made the allegation that police officers are getting paid to murder people. Your employee further insulted all law enforcement officers in America by stating, "There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police." Mr. Kaepernick then made inaccurate and untrue statements about the level of training that is required to be a police officer. On August 31,2016, it was learned by the members of the SCPOA that the 49er organization has been allowing Mr. Kaepernick to wear exposed socks with the image of a pig wearing a police hat during practices at the training camp in Santa Clara . Photos of Mr. Kaepernick wearing these socks with the derogatory image have been broadcast nationally. Our membership acknowledges that police officers are human and are not perfect. However, blanket statements that police officers in general, murder minorities is completely false and insulting to the dedicated men and women in law enforcement agencies across America. These intentional acts and inflammatory statements by Mr. Kaepernick are insulting to the members of the SCPOA . It is apparent, that the 49ers organization is aware of Mr. Kaepernick's actions. These actions have occurred while Mr. Kaepernick was acting as an employee of the 49ers and at 49er facilities in Santa Clara. The 49ers organization has taken no action to stop or prevent Mr. Kaepernick from continuing to make inaccurate, incorrect and inflammatory statements against police officers, which include members of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association. Furthermore, your organization has made no statement disagreeing with Mr. Kaepernick's accusations. It is the unanimous opinion of the SCPOA that the 49ers organization has failed to address your employee's inappropriate workplace behavior. The board of directors of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association has a duty to protect its members and work to make all of their working environments free of harassing behavior. SCPOA members have worked thousands of hours at Levi's stadium, 49er training camp and headquarters protecting guests, players and fellow employees. Our officers voluntarily agree to work these assignments. If the 49ers organization fails to take action to stop this type of inappropriate workplace behavior, it could result in police officers choosing not to work at your facilities. Please contact us as soon as possible with the corrective actions your organization intends on implementing. The men and women of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association are sworn to protect the rights of ALL people in the United States, a duty we take very seriously. Our members, however, have the right to do their job in an environment free of unjustified and insulting attacks from employees of your organization. SCPOA Board of Directors Cc: Rajeev Batra Chief Mike Sellers Link
September 5, 201610 yr I could be wrong about my opinion. Something you dont think you have ever been since I have been reading BGP. As soon as I posted what I thought you immediately told me I was wrong as well as the wife of a person you used as a example and continue to do so and yet you insist she is wrong while you never spent a day or spoke a word to Ali. Thats exactly what I meant being you could not read between the lines. I said this so you would not think I was ignoring you. Geezel pete. An opinion by definition COULD be wrong. There's no need to say it COULD be wrong so I don't say it. No one is debating her right to an opinion or whether she truly believes it. The argument, which you missed and tried to cover with telling me what she MIGHT be thinking, is that you can't say someone sitting or the Anthem is unpatriotic YET REFUSING TO GO FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY isn't. To say it a)is asinine b)is self-serving and c)a way to get your name back in the news. Those of you saying Ali's stance was somehow cool and that you wouldn't have KILLED him publicly in 1967 for refusing to serve are LYING to yourselves to somehow make your case against CK seem rational. You're either against both or you're not. And if you had to rank unpatriotic acts Ali wins. Hands down.
September 5, 201610 yr I believe most, if not all, are volunteers. The 49ers would have to hire other security. It seems that many of the officers disagree with you. Here is the text from the letter to the 49ers organization: Mr. Jed York September 2, 2016 San Francisco 49ers 4949 Marie P. DeBartolo Way Santa Clara, CA 95054 Mr. York, The members of the Santa Clara Police Officers' Association {SCPOA) have a long history of working with the San Francisco 49ers organization. This relationship was greatly expanded with the construction of Levi's stadium. Our officers and 49er employees have worked incredibly well together to create a safe and enjoyable environment for guests and employees. This partnership has made Levi's stadium the premier sports venue in the world as evident in the extremely successful Super Bowl 50 operation. Unfortunately, some recent actions by a 49ers employee have threatened our harmonious working relationship. On August 26, 2016, prior to the start of the 49er pre-season football game at Levi's stadium, on duty 49er employee Colin Kaepernick made the decision to exercise his right of free expression and not stand to honor the National Anthem. This expression caught the attention of the media. Following the game, your employee explained to the media that his actions were an attempt to get public attention to the oppression of African Americans and minorities in the United States by police officers. Your employee then insinuated that police officers are being placed on paid leave for murdering minorities. This statement is obviously insulting, inaccurate and completely unsupported by any facts. On August 28, 2016, at 49er training facility in Santa Clara, Mr. Kaepernick again made the allegation that police officers are getting paid to murder people. Your employee further insulted all law enforcement officers in America by stating, "There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police." Mr. Kaepernick then made inaccurate and untrue statements about the level of training that is required to be a police officer. On August 31,2016, it was learned by the members of the SCPOA that the 49er organization has been allowing Mr. Kaepernick to wear exposed socks with the image of a pig wearing a police hat during practices at the training camp in Santa Clara . Photos of Mr. Kaepernick wearing these socks with the derogatory image have been broadcast nationally. Our membership acknowledges that police officers are human and are not perfect. However, blanket statements that police officers in general, murder minorities is completely false and insulting to the dedicated men and women in law enforcement agencies across America. These intentional acts and inflammatory statements by Mr. Kaepernick are insulting to the members of the SCPOA . It is apparent, that the 49ers organization is aware of Mr. Kaepernick's actions. These actions have occurred while Mr. Kaepernick was acting as an employee of the 49ers and at 49er facilities in Santa Clara. The 49ers organization has taken no action to stop or prevent Mr. Kaepernick from continuing to make inaccurate, incorrect and inflammatory statements against police officers, which include members of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association. Furthermore, your organization has made no statement disagreeing with Mr. Kaepernick's accusations. It is the unanimous opinion of the SCPOA that the 49ers organization has failed to address your employee's inappropriate workplace behavior. The board of directors of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association has a duty to protect its members and work to make all of their working environments free of harassing behavior. SCPOA members have worked thousands of hours at Levi's stadium, 49er training camp and headquarters protecting guests, players and fellow employees. Our officers voluntarily agree to work these assignments. If the 49ers organization fails to take action to stop this type of inappropriate workplace behavior, it could result in police officers choosing not to work at your facilities. Please contact us as soon as possible with the corrective actions your organization intends on implementing. The men and women of the Santa Clara Police Officers Association are sworn to protect the rights of ALL people in the United States, a duty we take very seriously. Our members, however, have the right to do their job in an environment free of unjustified and insulting attacks from employees of your organization. SCPOA Board of Directors Cc: Rajeev Batra Chief Mike Sellers Link It's a non-issue now since the work is voluntary.
September 5, 201610 yr It's a non-issue now since the work is voluntary. Agree. I stand with the officers in this. They have every right to refuse to work the game since it's voluntary. Quite frankly, I don't blame them a bit.
September 5, 201610 yr Agree. I stand with the officers in this. They have every right to refuse to work the game since it's voluntary. Quite frankly, I don't blame them a bit. Truth. I think it is petty on their part but I understand their feelings and reasoning. I wouldn't give up that extra money because of what Kap said. I still have a family to feed. The ironic part is that I bet if they interacted with Kap he would treat them with more respect than the people on the streets that they have to serve and protect do.
September 5, 201610 yr You're wrong because knowing how he thought is irrelevant since we're talking about how society judges actions. Put yourself in a time warp and you're back to 1967 and you don't know what Ali's future holds. Is it your contention that you wouldn't have KILLED Ali for refusing to serve while a lot of KY kids that couldn't afford college were dying in Vietnam? That's what we're talking about. CK's actions are no less patriotic than Ali's. Totally agree with the bolded. I don't think either one of their actions are/were all that patriotic.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.