Trump, a modern day Gracchi Brother?

It's interesting to look at the battle between the optimates and the populares in the late Roman republic in light of the Yuval Levin book mentioned in the article. Part of his premise is that both the political right and left are attempting to recapture the spirit of an age now long departed or perhaps that never existed at all, something historians have accused both the Gracchi reformers and Catonian conservatives of doing.

It's interesting to look at the battle between the optimates and the populares in the late Roman republic in light of the Yuval Levin book mentioned in the article. Part of his premise is that both the political right and left are attempting to recapture the spirit of an age now long departed or perhaps that never existed at all, something historians have accused both the Gracchi reformers and Catonian conservatives of doing.

I just finished off "The History of Rome" podcast and took a course on it at Bellarmine when in college. It is definitely an interesting comparison. I just immediately went to the Gracchi brothers after looking at the title of the article. Very interesting read.

I just finished off "The History of Rome" podcast and took a course on it at Bellarmine when in college. It is definitely an interesting comparison. I just immediately went to the Gracchi brothers after looking at the title of the article. Very interesting read.

That podcast series is fantastic. I went through it a few years ago. I have Mary Beard's "SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome" on my bookshelf now and I'm really looking forward to it.

That podcast series is fantastic. I went through it a few years ago. I have Mary Beard's "SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome" on my bookshelf now and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not even going into all the books I have on Rome. :clap:

I saw that. I have a 35 minute commute, so they might get me to Christmas, accounting for listening to new episodes of the three that I already subscribe to. :thumb:

Well I started sometime in April I think and finished it 2 weeks ago. I actually didn't realize how popular it was until I heard 2 other podcasts reference it as part of their inspiration.