FFL Draft Strategies

NamecipS

Saw this article and figured I'd post it for the rookies in the BGP league. :lol2:

9 tips to draft like a fantasy football professional | USA Today Fantasy Sports

#1 - disagree - must have combined sheet - start with positional, then work on the Big Board

#2 - absolutely - awesome feeling when you find that low risk/high reward guy

#3 - blah - ADP's are just guides and if you strictly rely on ADP list as your Big Board you will not win your league

#4 - mostly agree - depends on scoring and format - but there are only 1-4 who would even be considered 1st round worthy

#5 - kinda disagree - depends on the league - using a late round pick to get a decent bye week coverage QB is ok, but don't reach

#6 - mostly agree - again depends on the league - no need for a backup TE in BGP

#7 - depends - there are 2-3 that separate from the pack - but if you can't get one of those, then wait

#8 - mostly agree - the difference between the top D and bottom D is minimal

#9 - The Godot Rule - if you were drafting a player based on your favorite team, you definitely did the rest of the league a favor because more times than not, you were reaching two to three rounds ahead of where that player was drafted. On the other side, not drafting a player because you hate that team will cost you too. I've passed on Big Ben many times because I hate the Steelers, but man that guy puts up some points.

#10 - my own rule - if you don't talk :poop: in an FFL, you're not having very much fun

Don't worry about bye weeks.

I never really concentrate on bye weeks but it did bight me in the rear this past year. I drafted DeAngelo but didn't have Bell. Bell was still healthy and I had only once WR available, needed two. I cut Williams thinking I would have no trouble using my FA cash the following week to pick him back up. Bell gets injured that week and I was outbid for DeAngelo. Pretty much cost me a few hundred, all for a one point performance from my pickup, Danny Amendola.

#1-somewhat agree- However, I only use ranking sheets as a measure to keep up with who is available. I usually have an idea of who I want before I draft.

#2-agree- but if you don't know who you want before the draft then you are setting yourself up for failure. I'll also add that you never want to have too many risky guys on your draft board

#3-disagree- I don't care what their ADP is and I don't listen to people clowning me for choices I have made.

#4-depends- if a league has a scoring system set up as and stage for QBs then it could be stupid to not take one in round 1.

#5-agree- but if it is a league that starts two QBs then you have to be smart about it. I am assuming with this kind of advice they are talking about standard scoring leagues only. Those leagues are boring and for beginners. :D

#6-agree- wasted to pick to draft a backup TE.

#7-absolutely agree- the kicker in your team should be guaranteed to be waived when his bye week comes. I love when people take kickers before the last round.

#8-disagree- if you wait that late to draft a defense then you are hurting your team. Don't reach for a defense but don't wait until round 15 either.

#9-depends- if your favorite team is the Packers, Patriots or any other high scoring team you'd be stupid to remain impartial. Chances are you know more going on with that team than others in your draft and you can use that knowledge to your advantage.

If I'm close to either end of the draft, I'll try and guess what the other owners between my picks will do and draft accordingly. For example, I need a WR but the other two both have plenty already and need a TE. I take my TE then and get the WR on the way back.