Adidas Gauntlet Finale-Spartanburg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you be more specific?

Sure. There are three elite programs in KY. Hoop Dreams, Travelers and Louisville Magic. Right now the Travelers has two teams. Hoop Dreams has three and the Magic I think has three also. If you aren't fortunate enough to make it in one of those three programs then you don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to playing at that level. Those three programs lock in on the players they want at the 14U and 15U level. If you aren't part of the program by then you are behind the eight ball. Unless you become one of the top talents in the state before graduation then you likely won't get a chance to play at the same level as those three programs. There are tons of programs across the state but in order to be seen by college coaches consistently you need to be playing for one of these three programs. Other programs throughout the state have proven they can play and compete with these programs but when it comes to opportunities it gets rough. Maybe as time goes on these three programs can become larger and offer more opportunities for more kids but until that time comes you can't blame kids for playing for top notch programs out of TN, IN or OH.

Sure. There are three elite programs in KY. Hoop Dreams, Travelers and Louisville Magic. Right now the Travelers has two teams. Hoop Dreams has three and the Magic I think has three also. If you aren't fortunate enough to make it in one of those three programs then you don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to playing at that level. Those three programs lock in on the players they want at the 14U and 15U level. If you aren't part of the program by then you are behind the eight ball. Unless you become one of the top talents in the state before graduation then you likely won't get a chance to play at the same level as those three programs. There are tons of programs across the state but in order to be seen by college coaches consistently you need to be playing for one of these three programs. Other programs throughout the state have proven they can play and compete with these programs but when it comes to opportunities it gets rough. Maybe as time goes on these three programs can become larger and offer more opportunities for more kids but until that time comes you can't blame kids for playing for top notch programs out of TN, IN or OH.

What I was referencing in my original post was the players who are some of the Top Players in the State, but are choosing to go play with teams in other States. Why not instead stay in KY and be proud of representing the best of the best within KY? In regards to offering more opportunities for more kids to play on the Elite teams in the State, that is a catch 22.... I have seen that go well, but I have also seen it go wrong more often than not. Programs offering 2 teams at each age level often deal with a lot of controversy from parents who believe their kids should be playing on the A team. I have coached in those situations, and would honestly never do it again in a market as small as KY. In terms of Grassroots programs, there is a definite need for more grassroots programs in the Elite Programs, but here is the problem. Many people make the mistake of thinking that just because they play for a shoe sponsored organization, they shouldn't have to pay.... This couldn't be further from the truth. Most sponsorships from Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour are just meant to cover the cost of one age group (typically 17U). In some cases, it covers 17U and 16U. In more rare occurrences, it covers 17U, 16U, and 15U... Therefore if a program has anything under 15U it becomes pay to play, but, surprisingly, people seem to be more willing to pay on non-Shoe rather than Shoe teams.... Go figure! The point I am making is that it can be more difficult to run and maintain a grassroots program with having a Shoe Contract then people may think. Especially with so many Mom and Pop teams in KY.

What I was referencing in my original post was the players who are some of the Top Players in the State, but are choosing to go play with teams in other States. Why not instead stay in KY and be proud of representing the best of the best within KY? In regards to offering more opportunities for more kids to play on the Elite teams in the State, that is a catch 22.... I have seen that go well, but I have also seen it go wrong more often than not. Programs offering 2 teams at each age level often deal with a lot of controversy from parents who believe their kids should be playing on the A team. I have coached in those situations, and would honestly never do it again in a market as small as KY. In terms of Grassroots programs, there is a definite need for more grassroots programs in the Elite Programs, but here is the problem. Many people make the mistake of thinking that just because they play for a shoe sponsored organization, they shouldn't have to pay.... This couldn't be further from the truth. Most sponsorships from Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour are just meant to cover the cost of one age group (typically 17U). In some cases, it covers 17U and 16U. In more rare occurrences, it covers 17U, 16U, and 15U... Therefore if a program has anything under 15U it becomes pay to play, but, surprisingly, people seem to be more willing to pay on non-Shoe rather than Shoe teams.... Go figure! The point I am making is that it can be more difficult to run and maintain a grassroots program with having a Shoe Contract then people may think. Especially with so many Mom and Pop teams in KY.

I agree it is hard to do in KY and I think it is a shame people think they shouldn't have to pay even if they are on a shoe team. And people say this generation of kids is entitled.

It's difficult right now in KY because our market is small and I do think as time goes on and these elite teams get some more years under their belts that it will be easier for them to make deeper strides in KY as far as keeping all of the players in the state.

As for top players going out of state I wonder how much politics and familiarity come into play in those decisions. If Indiana Elite needs a 2018 wing and Hoop Dreams, Magic and Travelers all have their 3 wings on their teams then why wouldn't CJ Fredrick go to Indiana Elite if he has the opportunity?

Kids play AAU ball in order to get looked at by schools. They do not play for state pride nor should they. Go get seen at the best level you can.

Indiana Elite offers that.

Agree!! its working for CJ so more power to him an others. Keep working CJF.

Kids play AAU ball in order to get looked at by schools. They do not play for state pride nor should they. Go get seen at the best level you can.

Indiana Elite offers that.

Travelers

Raymond Spalding- UofL

Cameron Justice-Vanderbilt

Jackson Davis-Butler

James "Beedle" Bolden- West Virginia

Dwayne Sutton- UofL

Carson Williams- Northern Kentucky

Drew McDonald- Northern Kentucky

Brad Calipari- UNiversity of Kentucky

Ben Weyer- Bellarmine

Louisville Magic

DAngelo Russell- Ohio State (NBA)

Quinten Snyder- UofL

Hoop Dreams

Aric Holeman- Mississippi State

Eli Wright- Mississippi State

There are MANY MORE! These are just the ones I can think of off the top. Point I am making is that there are PLENTY of opportunities in State for kids. The main issue I honestly see is parents with "delusions of grandeur". They think their kids are Major D1 or a future NBA player when they should really be playing at UNC Ashville or Belmont or etc....

CJ led the team in scoring with 19 in a first round win in the Adidas summer championships in Vegas. 4/8 from 3.

Jake Walter had 4 and 7 in 19 minutes.

Edited by Clyde

Travelers

Raymond Spalding- UofL

Cameron Justice-Vanderbilt

Jackson Davis-Butler

James "Beedle" Bolden- West Virginia

Dwayne Sutton- UofL

Carson Williams- Northern Kentucky

Drew McDonald- Northern Kentucky

Brad Calipari- UNiversity of Kentucky

Ben Weyer- Bellarmine

Louisville Magic

DAngelo Russell- Ohio State (NBA)

Quinten Snyder- UofL

Hoop Dreams

Aric Holeman- Mississippi State

Eli Wright- Mississippi State

There are MANY MORE! These are just the ones I can think of off the top. Point I am making is that there are PLENTY of opportunities in State for kids. The main issue I honestly see is parents with "delusions of grandeur". They think their kids are Major D1 or a future NBA player when they should really be playing at UNC Ashville or Belmont or etc....

D'Angelo left Louisville Magic for E1T1 after his 15U season.

Jackson Davis is at EKU now.

And again those opportunities for kids are limited to these three programs that you have highlighted. If you aren't considered one of the best of the best with D-1 potential then you won't play for these programs. CJ Fredrick has been largely ignored until this past season. I've seen CJ outplay bigger names on the same court but the bigger name gets all the recognition.

D'Angelo left Louisville Magic for E1T1 after his 15U season.

Jackson Davis is at EKU now.

And again those opportunities for kids are limited to these three programs that you have highlighted. If you aren't considered one of the best of the best with D-1 potential then you won't play for these programs. CJ Fredrick has been largely ignored until this past season. I've seen CJ outplay bigger names on the same court but the bigger name gets all the recognition.

I used those as examples in reference to the comment about playing for Indiana Elite... A kid good enough for I.E. Should be good enough to play for one of our in state shoe teams...

I used those as examples in reference to the comment about playing for Indiana Elite... A kid good enough for I.E. Should be good enough to play for one of our in state shoe teams...

Agreed. How hard did they go after him? Louisville Magic has Fitzgerald, Travelers has Treyvon Faulkner and Hoop Dreams team was set last year.