2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercer County will be a top 10 this season.

No they won't. Same record as last year, out in the second round of the playoffs. Mercer had big time playmakers last year but that offense wouldn't allow them to produce. I only saw 3 games last year but it was tough to watch.

No they won't. Same record as last year, out in the second round of the playoffs. Mercer had big time playmakers last year but that offense wouldn't allow them to produce. I only saw 3 games last year but it was tough to watch.

3 games isn't enough. I saw 8 games last season. I saw them give the game away to Wayne County and that was before they started playing well.

Most of their defense returns, they still have playmakers on offense, most of their offensive line returns, Coach B has the program going like I have never seen it going before and their schedule next year is much easier than this past year's schedule so they'll have a better record than last season. I didn't say they'll win state. I said they'll be a top 10 team this season and they will be. Too bad they don't play Boyle County. They'd beat them if they played them this year.

3 games isn't enough. I saw 8 games last season. I saw them give the game away to Wayne County and that was before they started playing well.

Most of their defense returns, they still have playmakers on offense, most of their offensive line returns, Coach B has the program going like I have never seen it going before and their schedule next year is much easier than this past year's schedule so they'll have a better record than last season. I didn't say they'll win state. I said they'll be a top 10 team this season and they will be. Too bad they don't play Boyle County. They'd beat them if they played them this year.

3 games was plenty. They have the talent, no doubt. I think they should have made to the state finals last year. Offense is too predictable. I went to one game with a former DC, he literally called almost every play correct before the ball was snapped. Never put their ahletes in a position to make plays.

3 games was plenty. They have the talent, no doubt. I think they should have made to the state finals last year. Offense is too predictable. I went to one game with a former DC, he literally called almost every play correct before the ball was snapped. Never put their ahletes in a position to make plays.

Which game was that? I don't think they got comfortable with their offense until some time in October. Drew Davis was learning his 3rd different offense as QB and I know he struggled mightily learning the new system and it wasn't until the schedule eased up that they began to work things out and gain some confidence in what they were doing. They shouldnt have that problem this year depending on who is the QB. If it is Dustin Baker then that will give them a QB who can tuck it and run it but I think their ability to throw the ball won't be like it was with Drew. I do think they will still be better than last season and a top 10 team throughout the season. 4A is not all that loaded.

Which game was that? I don't think they got comfortable with their offense until some time in October. Drew Davis was learning his 3rd different offense as QB and I know he struggled mightily learning the new system and it wasn't until the schedule eased up that they began to work things out and gain some confidence in what they were doing. They shouldnt have that problem this year depending on who is the QB. If it is Dustin Baker then that will give them a QB who can tuck it and run it but I think their ability to throw the ball won't be like it was with Drew. I do think they will still be better than last season and a top 10 team throughout the season. 4A is not all that loaded.

I went to the North Hardin, Lafayette and Knox Central games. Saying Drew Davis struggled mightily learning the new system is an insult to the kids intelligence. They rarely played past 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. The defenses packed it in becuase they only threw a quick slant, screen or short out pattern. The 1 pass they went down field on Lafayette was a TD and they didn't throw deep until the end of the game against knox central and had success. The success Mercer had was against a stretch of bad teams in their district. Look, I'm not disputing the talent, it's there. I think it's a shame what happen to those seniors last year, they had a ton of talent but weren't put in a position to be as successful as they should have been.

Mercer is top 10, what they have returning with a Hall of Fame Coach, Johnson Central will have all the same problems again they can't throw the ball and they are slow. South Warren is the team to beat, Franklin Simpson will be a lot better and make them earn it. PS just because you know what the other team is going to run doesn't mean you can stop it! Otherwise Belfry would have a lot less championships!

I went to the North Hardin, Lafayette and Knox Central games. Saying Drew Davis struggled mightily learning the new system is an insult to the kids intelligence. They rarely played past 3 yards of the line of scrimmadge. The defenses packed it in becuase they only threw a quick slant, screen or short out pattern. The 1 pass they went down field on Lafayette was a TD and they didn't throw deep until the end of the game against knox central and had success. The success Mercer had was against a stretch of bad teams in their district. Look, I'm not disputing the talent, it's there. I think it's a shame what happen to those seniors last year, they had a ton of talent but weren't put in a position to be as successful as they should have been.

Maybe struggled mightily is too harsh and yeah the competition eased up later in the season but a blind man could see the were outmatched against North Hardin and Lafayette. Watching the season progress you could see Drew getting more and more comfortable with the offense with each game. Regardless of the competition comfort goes a long ways when running a new offense and I know for a fact he wasn't comfortable until around Wayne County game.

Funny you take up for Drew but seemingly want to throw shots at Coach B. If you want to talk about who failed the seniors this year then maybe it should be mentioned that their normal kicker bailed on the team right before the Knox Central game so he could go play in a soccer showcase. As a result they had to throw a kid out there who has never kicked in a game before and have his first ever football action take place in a survive and advance atmosphere. He did the best he could but kicks were missed in that game that the normal kicker would have made and Mercer likely would have won. What Coach B did for that team last year was phenomenal. The fact that he was still able to keep that team motivated after being outscored and flat out demolished their first 5 games was unbelievable. Never put in a position to succeed my butt.

It's always the people who watched 3 games who know everything.

I went to the North Hardin, Lafayette and Knox Central games. Saying Drew Davis struggled mightily learning the new system is an insult to the kids intelligence. They rarely played past 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. The defenses packed it in becuase they only threw a quick slant, screen or short out pattern. The 1 pass they went down field on Lafayette was a TD and they didn't throw deep until the end of the game against knox central and had success. The success Mercer had was against a stretch of bad teams in their district. Look, I'm not disputing the talent, it's there. I think it's a shame what happen to those seniors last year, they had a ton of talent but weren't put in a position to be as successful as they should have been.

I watched quite a few of their games and one thing I remember more than anything else was that this team suffered from dropsies more than any team I have seen in a while. Maybe the confidence to go downfield often wasn't there. It seemed like there were at least 5 drops as a team every game. Some of them were sure fire touchdowns if the catch is made.

I also don't think it is a shame what happened to the team last year. They had much to be proud of after their start with that brutal schedule. They could have quit but they didn't. I think they will be even better this year and can see them in the top 10 sooner rather than later. I think their defense is going to be one of the best defenses in 4A.

Maybe struggled mightily is too harsh and yeah the competition eased up later in the season but a blind man could see the were outmatched against North Hardin and Lafayette. Watching the season progress you could see Drew getting more and more comfortable with the offense with each game. Regardless of the competition comfort goes a long ways when running a new offense and I know for a fact he wasn't comfortable until around Wayne County game.

Funny you take up for Drew but seemingly want to throw shots at Coach B. If you want to talk about who failed the seniors this year then maybe it should be mentioned that their normal kicker bailed on the team right before the Knox Central game so he could go play in a soccer showcase. As a result they had to throw a kid out there who has never kicked in a game before and have his first ever football action take place in a survive and advance atmosphere. He did the best he could but kicks were missed in that game that the normal kicker would have made and Mercer likely would have won. What Coach B did for that team last year was phenomenal. The fact that he was still able to keep that team motivated after being outscored and flat out demolished their first 5 games was unbelievable. Never put in a position to succeed my butt.

It's always the people who watched 3 games who know everything.

I'm not throwing shots at Coach B. I don't know him but I hear he's a stand up guy. Im just making a statement about what I observed. I know some of the juniors and seniors through my kids over the years and I think they are really talented. Just don't think that's the best offense for them, that's all. I root for the local teams, including Mercer. I hope they do well but i just think it will be similar to last year.

I'm not throwing shots at Coach B. I don't know him but I hear he's a stand up guy. Im just making a statement about what I observed. I know some of the juniors and seniors through my kids over the years and I think they are really talented. Just don't think that's the best offense for them, that's all. I root for the local teams, including Mercer. I hope they do well but i just think it will be similar to last year.

I guess I just took it wrong when you kept saying they weren't put in a position to succeed. I think the offense will be better next season now that they have had a year and a true offseason. This is the best offseason the Titans have ever had. They've been working hard since the season ended. I'll be disappointed if they don't improve from last season.

They will be tested in game one versus Central Hardin and they have an athlete in Darius Barbour

Yes they will be but unlike last year they will be better prepared going in to this game compared to last season when they faced North Hardin.