2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercer county will be much better than last year. If what I've been told is true, Gunner Gillis will be at QB. And there are plenty of playmakers still there. They are probably still 2yrs away from making a state run, but I could see them as a top 10 team

I have heard from numerous people inside the program as well as outside the program that Witherspoon will be back and is going to be counted on to play the QB position. With the talent this team has returning as juniors this year and seniors next year, this coaching staff better come together and bring a toughness and discipline to this team or they will miss out on a great opportunity to win a championship.

Who is Gunner Gillis, I don't recall that name? I think they have to make a run this year, cupboard is bare for a few years after this class graduates.

What makes them better this year, just curious?

Who is Gunner Gillis, I don't recall that name? I think they have to make a run this year, cupboard is bare for a few years after this class graduates.

They bring back a ton of experienced players back from last year's team. Adding Gillis at QB allows one of their best athletes in Dustin Baker to play at RB or WR which is probably a more natural position for him than QB. Their defense should be top notch and the entire team has bought in to what Coach B is selling. Mentally they are in a much better place than last September and I think we all know how important that is in all sports. This group believes in themselves more than the past few Mercer County teams and they appear poised to make a good run this season.

Gunner started as a sophomore at QB for Anderson county. He is a 6'4" two sport athlete who also plays basketball. He is moving or has already moved to Harrodsburg with his dad, this summer.

Edited by Blake1978j
Left out content

They bring back a ton of experienced players back from last year's team. Adding Gillis at QB allows one of their best athletes in Dustin Baker to play at RB or WR which is probably a more natural position for him than QB. Their defense should be top notch and the entire team has bought in to what Coach B is selling. Mentally they are in a much better place than last September and I think we all know how important that is in all sports. This group believes in themselves more than the past few Mercer County teams and they appear poised to make a good run this season.

This group believes in themselves more than last years team? Seriously? I think last years team believed in what they could do! Oh and please tell me what coach b is selling? Something different thsn last year i guess,.......a different sales pitch this year?

IMO, mercer will be better, maybe it's the "homer" in me suggesting that they can be a top 10 team.... Idk. All I know is I'm excited to see what product the put on the field. I don't know how you can argue that 1 1/2 years in a new system isn't any better than a few months, but I guess we will have to wait and see! Hopefully they don't stink it up like the first 4 or 5 last year. I'm not sure anything short of a terrible start, is going to sway our optimism..

This group believes in themselves more than last years team? Seriously? I think last years team believed in what they could do! Oh and please tell me what coach b is selling? Something different thsn last year i guess,.......a different sales pitch this year?

It's really not that complicated. After starting 0-5 this team was low mentally. And not just any 0-5 they were getting smacked across the field each game. They doubted themselves big time until they got to district play and picked up some wins and gained some confidence in themselves and what they were doing.

Do I really have to explain to you how people gain more confidence in themselves when they see results? They bring back a lot of key components to last year's success and look to build off of it. Because of the uncertainty they had last year at this time compared to where they are today it is a whole new team. As was stated, they know the system and are way more comfortable with it today than they were at this time last year.

I'll also add that this offseason appeared to be the most successful offseason for any Mercer County team since the Jaggers era.

Everyone is buying what Coach B is selling. He is selling being a complete team from top to bottom and working on yourself as an individual player physically and mentally to help your fellow teammates out. He is selling an infectious feeling of success and breeding success that hopefully will remain at Mercer County for years to come.

IMO, mercer will be better, maybe it's the "homer" in me suggesting that they can be a top 10 team.... Idk. All I know is I'm excited to see what product the put on the field. I don't know how you can argue that 1 1/2 years in a new system isn't any better than a few months, but I guess we will have to wait and see! Hopefully they don't stink it up like the first 4 or 5 last year. I'm not sure anything short of a terrible start, is going to sway our optimism..

Exactly!

Last year he sold patience and trusting the process. He sold to keep fighting and believing in themselves and that they would be successful. He sold fighting for the guy to your left and right. Having the opportunity to hear his pre-game and halftime speeches to the team were inspiring and if my kid went to Mercer County I would encourage him to play football for Coach Buchanan. He is a great teacher of life on and off the football field and I would love for him to play for a coach like Coach Buchanan.