March 13, 201610 yr I could write for pages about why college basketball is my favorite sport, but I can't come up with anything the players on the court do that is objectively better. Of course you're going to see players still get open shots, and you'll see clips of James Harden standing upright while his man blows by him, watch a game and see the players talking, rotating, and challenging each other. It's basketball at the highest level. Watch a game, it might seem like there is no defense, but look how good the offense is. Also, look at how important analytics are to professional sports today. Everyone is looking for an edge. Teams have some of the smartest people making a ton of money trying to find value. If there was really a lack of defense in the NBA I could go to an NBA franchise with a list of the top defenders and put together a championship squad since there would be such a market inefficiency.
March 13, 201610 yr College defense is overrated. The players in college aren't anywhere near as efficiently offensively as they are in the NBA. There's a reason only 40-50 college basketball players are drafted yearly. It's easy to say they play better defense in college when the truth is that most college players aren't skilled offensively. Did you watch the Lakers hold the Warriors to under 100 points last Sunday? #defense I'm on your side but don't sneak in a Lakers compliment. #kobesucks
March 13, 201610 yr A lot of players can take others off the dribble, that's what help side D is for. It's a big thing in college ball, a lot of teams thrive off playing in your face man to man with help if the defender gets beat off the dribble. Not so much in the NBA. My man your just wrong on this topic. The NBA has the most elite athletes on the planet , playing the best defense in the world. Those defenses are also playing against the best offenses. These guys hit contested shots on a regular basis . Where there are maybe a handful of guys at most in college who can.
March 13, 201610 yr I'm on your side but don't sneak in a Lakers compliment. #kobesucks :lol2: I've been able to compliment the Lakers 4 times this season. Don't take that from me. :lol2:
March 13, 201610 yr I've watched plenty of NBA games this century, I just don't watch it as often as I used to. If someone would get out and get in Steph's face he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. But they just let him shoot, knowing he's one of the best shooters in the world. I call that bad defense, but to each their own. Did you see what Steph did to the best defender on the planted, Kawai Leonard? He tried to get up in his grill and that didn't go so well.
March 13, 201610 yr A lot of players can take others off the dribble, that's what help side D is for. It's a big thing in college ball, a lot of teams thrive off playing in your face man to man with help if the defender gets beat off the dribble. Not so much in the NBA. The NBA has the most sophisticated help side defense on the planet. If it didn't LeBron, Harden, DWade, Westbrook, Durant, etc would average fifty per game. If you want to see the highest level of defense on the planet, tune in during the playoffs. All those shooting percentages you talk about quickly plummet.
March 13, 201610 yr Defense in the NBA is garbage. I will stand by that until someone can prove me wrong lol. I used to love the NBA, I won't even watch it anymore outside of the playoffs. It's just a bunch of dudes that just want to get paid and don't seem to care much about the game. I can't blame them, I'd love to make that kind of money. But as a fan, I can see that the college guys care much more and play the game as it should be. I guess once you are already guaranteed millions you look at it in a different way. Just my opinion. The "they don't play defense in the NBA" mantra was destroyed by this years All Star Game. That is a perfect example of what games would be like if they played no defense. Saying the the defense in the NBA is garbage is either not watching enough NBA games, or just a lack of basketball knowledge in general.
March 13, 201610 yr I've watched plenty of NBA games this century, I just don't watch it as often as I used to. If someone would get out and get in Steph's face he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. But they just let him shoot, knowing he's one of the best shooters in the world. I call that bad defense, but to each their own. You clearly don't watch much if you think nobody is in Steph's face when he makes some of those shots.
March 13, 201610 yr The effort from his whole team today was putrid. I saw him make passes guys his size shouldn't be able to make and his teammates either missed the shot or they didn't take it at all. His coach is horrible and has done nothing for his development and when it comes to his attitude I blame his coach for that as well. It's clear he and Johnny aren't on the same page and Johnny will likely pay for that. I think this season has severely damaged Johnny's career. It's going to make any recruit other than a 2 Star or maybe low 3 star stay away from LSU. Which in most years many of them do anyway, but occasionally they do get the 4's and sometimes 5's. Without quality recruits teams struggle to compete. My guess is his future with LSU is history after the NIT is finished.
March 13, 201610 yr I think this season has severely damaged Johnny's career. It's going to make any recruit other than a 2 Star or maybe low 3 star stay away from LSU. Which in most years many of them do anyway, but occasionally they do get the 4's and sometimes 5's. Without quality recruits teams struggle to compete. My guess is his future with LSU is history after the NIT is finished. It should be IMO. They have enough talent to not look the way they did yesterday. They should have had a better season than what they had.
March 13, 201610 yr College defense is overrated. The players in college aren't anywhere near as efficiently offensively as they are in the NBA. There's a reason only 40-50 college basketball players are drafted yearly. It's easy to say they play better defense in college when the truth is that most college players aren't skilled offensively. Did you watch the Lakers hold the Warriors to under 100 points last Sunday? #defense Once again I said obviuosly the NBA players can play better defense than college players. The difference is you don't see the effort level on defense in the NBA as much as you do in college. Now in the NBA playoffs they do. NBA regular season is boring because of this. NBA playoffs is great. Also the Lakers held the Warriors down because of Curry and Thompson missing shots they usually make lol. They were even missing wide open shots that game.
March 13, 201610 yr Author And thank you both @LRCW and @JDEaston for admitting you have blinders on. I respect that a whole lot. :thumb:
March 13, 201610 yr Once again I said obviuosly the NBA players can play better defense than college players. The difference is you don't see the effort level on defense in the NBA as much as you do in college. Now in the NBA playoffs they do. NBA regular season is boring because of this. NBA playoffs is great. Also the Lakers held the Warriors down because of Curry and Thompson missing shots they usually make lol. They were even missing wide open shots that game. Agree to disagree. I watch NBA games everyday. I see high level defense every game. Even James Harden plays defense better than folks give him credit for. The Lakers forced and caused a bunch of turnovers also. That has to be noted.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.