Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I'm no NBA or scout

Featured Replies

The example you gave is the one team that does seem to always try to focus on defense and have a star player who first became known because of his defense.

 

The NBA players are very capable of playing great defense and that shows in the playoffs and why I enjoy the playoffs. The regular season leaves a lot to be desired though in the amount of energy they use to try to play defense. In college the players seem to be trying harder to play defense and pack the lane more and do make it harder. That is why people always say for some fast guards once they get to the NBA it will be easier for them because there is a lot more spacing.

 

NBA playoff basketball though is a blast to watch. The best players in the world playing all out on both sides of the ball.

 

College defense is overrated. The players in college aren't anywhere near as efficiently offensively as they are in the NBA. There's a reason only 40-50 college basketball players are drafted yearly. It's easy to say they play better defense in college when the truth is that most college players aren't skilled offensively.

 

 

Did you watch the Lakers hold the Warriors to under 100 points last Sunday? #defense

  • Replies 127
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've already stated I don't watch a ton on NBA games since they decided to go on strike. I have watched every game Booker played in during his college year though. Like I said, he's good, great even. But the fact that he kept similar percentages from his year in college to his year in the NBA (on a terrible team) tells me that the NBA as a whole doesn't play great defense. If they did, his percentages would have taken a hit.

 

False.

Because he really is that good. Imagine how good he would have been if he'd been freed last season instead of playing behind KAT, WCS and the Harrison twins. KAT is the ROY, WCS only plays when Boogie is suspended and I have no clue where the Harrison twins are. And truthfully he had a good January, a horrible February and is off to a great start in March. He didn't see the floor in November and December.

 

I had no idea he was playing behind Towns and Stein last year. That certainly changes things, I imagine his numbers would have been much better if he were playing at the 4 or 5. Most teams wouldn't have a guy that could step out and guard him. Where is Ukfan with his calcantcoach rhetoric when you need him.

The Suns are playing defense right now against the best team on the planet.

I had no idea he was playing behind Towns and Stein last year. That certainly changes things, I imagine his numbers would have been much better if he were playing at the 4 or 5. Most teams wouldn't have a guy that could step out and guard him. Where is Ukfan with his calcantcoach rhetoric when you need him.

 

:lol2: :lol2:

 

I should have known not to engage as soon as you said they don't play defense in the NBA. That told me all I need to know when trying to have a rational discussion about basketball.

I've already stated I don't watch a ton on NBA games since they decided to go on strike. I have watched every game Booker played in during his college year though. Like I said, he's good, great even. But the fact that he kept similar percentages from his year in college to his year in the NBA (on a terrible team) tells me that the NBA as a whole doesn't play great defense. If they did, his percentages would have taken a hit.

 

The conclusion that you are drawing about an entire league based on one player is fallacious in nature.

 

You picked one of the five rookies in the NBA that is averaging double figures in scoring and saying that his performance, offensively, is emblematic of the entire league's lack of defense.

 

How about the other rookies? How come the number two pick in the draft is struggling, offensively?

 

How come only Booker and Towns from UK's team are having offensive success? Based on your logic, Aaron Harrison should be able to score at the same level as he was able to at UK.

 

Watch a game from this century, @JDEaston. You are an intelligent basketball fan. You will see that you premise is wrong and that your statement about NBA defenses is over exaggerated.

College defense is overrated. The players in college aren't anywhere near as efficiently offensively as they are in the NBA. There's a reason only 40-50 college basketball players are drafted yearly. It's easy to say they play better defense in college when the truth is that most college players aren't skilled offensively.

 

 

Did you watch the Lakers hold the Warriors to under 100 points last Sunday? #defense

 

Thanks for saving me the key strokes. Defense rules the day in the college game because as a whole there aren't enough shot makers spread over even the NCAA Tournament quality teams to trend the game towards offense. That's why they are changing every rule in sight to tip the scales the other way.

 

Reality is 99% of the guys in college couldn't score 3 points a game against NBA defense...

:lol2: :lol2:

 

I should have known not to engage as soon as you said they don't play defense in the NBA. That told me all I need to know when trying to have a rational discussion about basketball.

 

:lol2:

To take it even further, I think Booker could have been every bit as good as Murray while in college if he had been able to play as much as Murray.

 

Truth

The conclusion that you are drawing about an entire league based on one player is fallacious in nature.

 

You picked one of the five rookies in the NBA that is averaging double figures in scoring and saying that his performance, offensively, is emblematic of the entire league's lack of defense.

 

How about the other rookies? How come the number two pick in the draft is struggling, offensively?

 

How come only Booker and Towns from UK's team are having offensive success? Based on your logic, Aaron Harrison should be able to score at the same level as he was able to at UK.

 

Watch a game from this century, @JDEaston. You are an intelligent basketball fan. You will see that you premise is wrong and that your statement about NBA defenses is over exaggerated.

 

I've watched plenty of NBA games this century, I just don't watch it as often as I used to. If someone would get out and get in Steph's face he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. But they just let him shoot, knowing he's one of the best shooters in the world. I call that bad defense, but to each their own.

I've watched plenty of NBA games this century, I just don't watch it as often as I used to. If someone would get out and get in Steph's face he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. But they just let him shoot, knowing he's one of the best shooters in the world. I call that bad defense, but to each their own.

 

If they get out on him he has the ability to go by anybody. There is a reason he gets open looks. He's that good

If they get out on him he has the ability to go by anybody. There is a reason he gets open looks. He's that good

 

A lot of players can take others off the dribble, that's what help side D is for. It's a big thing in college ball, a lot of teams thrive off playing in your face man to man with help if the defender gets beat off the dribble. Not so much in the NBA.

I've watched plenty of NBA games this century, I just don't watch it as often as I used to. If someone would get out and get in Steph's face he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. But they just let him shoot, knowing he's one of the best shooters in the world. I call that bad defense, but to each their own.

 

I have seen people close out on Steph Curry. I have seen Steph hit contested shots.

 

[video=youtube_share;MsrRHmJHSrE]

 

Again, I feel your statements are over exaggerated.

A lot of players can take others off the dribble, that's what help side D is for. It's a big thing in college ball, a lot of teams thrive off playing in your face man to man with help if the defender gets beat off the dribble. Not so much in the NBA.

 

Hard to give help when they have other 3 point shooters.

A lot of players can take others off the dribble, that's what help side D is for. It's a big thing in college ball, a lot of teams thrive off playing in your face man to man with help if the defender gets beat off the dribble. Not so much in the NBA.

 

It's a huge thing in college because the players aren't good enough to score on help side defense. The nature of help side defense is defending two to three guys in a tight space. In the NBA all three guys on the help side can and will score. In college? LOL...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.