Carson Williams and Larry Bird

As a high school player? Absolutely. I saw Larry in high school. I did not say NBA Larry Bird. Did you see Larry play in high school?

Will Carson ever be as good as Larry?

I cannot say, but I don't have any problems with your comparisons, and it's painful that so many others seem to forget that Larry once played HS ball while they all act like they're experts on the topic in their attempt to make you look stupid.

All the greats started somewhere, and not all of them were even great HS players.

Carson is a strong player, and though we don't know what the future brings, what you're saying doesn't seem nearly as far fetched as others are making it out to be.

It all makes for interesting and worthy discussion, and more so than the ridicule you're receiving that you don't deserve, I tend to see it more as their lack of vision.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Carson ever be as good as Larry?

I cannot say, but I don't have any problems with your comparisons, and it's painful that so many others seem to forget that Larry once played HS ball while they all act like they're experts on the topic in their attempt to make you look stupid.

All the greats started somewhere, and not all of them were even great HS players.

Carson is a strong player, and though we don't know what the future brings, what you're saying doesn't seem nearly as far fetched as others are making it out to be.

It all makes for interesting and worthy discussion, and more so than the ridicule you're receiving that you don't deserve, I tend to see it more as their lack of vision.

Agreed. Steph Curry is another example of someone who wasn't highly touted or recruited out of high school but became a much better player at each level he ascended to.

One thing this thread has done in a short time is to get Carson's name out there and to make people take note of him. That's good PR work.

I think NKU got a "Gem". Initially, I thought he could go to a bigger program, but now I'm leaning that this is a good fit. Carson should make an impact immediately, will have a chance to play all four years.

I mean if we really want to break it down Larry's numbers suggest he was a slightly above average jump shooter and I'm thinking Carson is more athletic than Larry Legend.

Huh? Slightly above average? He is one of the best shooters ever...he was in college and in the NBA. The fact that he averaged 31 in HS makes me think he could really shoot it VERY well then as well.

And one of the very best passing big men ever.

Being a small college coach I must say I LOVE .. LOVE .. LOVE hearing about these athletes who turn down a power 5 conference team to play at a Midway , Thomas Moore , Rio Grande , Shawnee St etc etc . 99 % of the time its because the athlete settles into exactly where their talent level leads them . NKU level players don't get overlooked by UC , X , or Vandy etc etc .. those schools simply pass on them . Occasionally they get it wrong , but Larry was recruited by top 10 IU , he didn't attend a low level mid major out of HS . And better than Rex ? Hmmm , Could this kid drop 25 plus at UL as a freshman ? I'm not buying what you are selling OP .