Carson Williams and Larry Bird

I like the premise of the thread. Having not seen Larry Bird play in high school I am intrigued by the opinion of the original poster. We all know stories of guys that were amazing high school players that disappeared on the big stage of college basketball. No reason why the same can't happen in reverse. I like this thread. I'm very interested.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Carson was a Sophomore, my friend (high basketball IQ) told me he was better than Boone County's Dave Dinn at the same age. I thought that was a great compliment. I saw Carson play last year against the Juggs, had a solid game.

I can buy Dave Dinn, but Larry Legend is a different atmosphere.

I mean if we really want to break it down Larry's numbers suggest he was a slightly above average jump shooter and I'm thinking Carson is more athletic than Larry Legend.

Larry was effective from every range at putting the biscuit in the basket. Every range. That's not the case for Carson, or 99.9% of all high school players in the nation.

It's crazy to start a thread with a title like this one. A lot has been said about making that type of comparison. To Purple Pride's point, I am just going to focus on the comparison of their games at the levels we've all seen them play (high school vs NBA).

Why the Bird comparison? They both play/played for small high schools and had great careers. They both played as hard as you'll see anyone play. They were both well-liked in their home states. Those are the similarities.

Bird was a 6'9" wing that was known for his great perimeter shooting and passing and, while he played hard, he was a finesse player. He was less than athletic. Williams is an undersized power forward that is really strong and powerful and is very athletic. Very good when receiving the ball in transition. Their skill sets are radically different.

So, if you want to talk about similar players, the MUCH better comparison is Charles Barkley. Nothing wrong with that one and it makes much more sense. He's a top 50 and is one of my favorite players of all time (and is definitely my favorite NBA analyst).

I might start a thread comparing NewCath's Ben Weyer to NewCath alum and Boston Celtic great Dave Cowens, but it wouldn't be fair to Mr. Cowens since he didn't play basketball at NewCath until his junior year. :lol2:
Exactly, it would be like us comparing you to this guy:

fedex-castaway-tom-hanks-brand-story-1024x550.png

Larry was effective from every range at putting the biscuit in the basket. Every range. That's not the case for Carson, or 99.9% of all high school players in the nation.

No argument there. How good was Larry in high school though? We all know high school and college Michael Jordan wasn't anywhere near NBA Michael Jordan. Isn't it possible for Carson to be further along than Larry Legend as a high school player but never comparable in college?

No argument there. How good was Larry in high school though? We all know high school and college Michael Jordan wasn't anywhere near NBA Michael Jordan. Isn't it possible for Carson to be further along than Larry Legend as a high school player but never comparable in college?

Sure. I like when you play devil's advocate. You know my affinity for him better than most. Larry is a top 10 player of all time. ALLLLLLL TIIIIIIIIME

In the last two days on this site I've read that Carson is better than Skal, Briscoe, the Harrison Twins, Rex Chapman and on par with Larry Legend.

Yeah, I think we are doing a great job of keeping things in perspective.

You forgot Charles Barkley...