Carson Williams and Larry Bird

I think people keep missing the high school comparison and keep looking at the Hall of Fame, Larry Legend, greatest Celtic ever comparison.

I agree with you here. Knowing what Bird eventually became makes the comparison with Williams downright silly, but the comparison is not Williams to the NBA legend. It's to the high school Larry Bird. It's still a bad comparison, simply based on the schools that recruited Bird vs. those that recruited Williams, but not nearly as out there.

It's like my long-held belief that Michael Jordan is not the greatest college basketball player who played at North Carolina. Include his pro career and he's the best of all-time, but just look at his UNC career and he's not #1.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful here. No offer from X. I don't think he had offers from Vols nor Butler.

I think he picked NKU over Miami (O), EKU, and schools at that level.

He said being 55 miles from home was a big factor for NKU.

isn't EKU about the same distance from Owenton?

But that's where he was recruited out of high school, where this thread is planted.

True. But again it brings to mind that sometimes folks get even better at the next level. Think of all the kids who were better high school basketball players than Steph Curry. I don't see why the comparison can't be the same with anyone against high school aged Larry Bird.