Changing your Church

Thank you for the relevant, non- belittling contribution to the board. I really think that's the answer Thrillville was looking for.

@Thrillville Cardinal51 , I must ask, why is it that you are leaving the Catholic Church, the only Church that can directly trace its lineage back to Jesus Himself?

I'm pretty sure that Protestantism was started be Catholics? So can you not say that all protestant denominations can trace their lineage to Jesus?

Is that not the same as saying the Catholic Church traces their history to "The Way" in the book of Acts, which came directly from Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

@ThrillVille Cardinal51, if you change from Catholic to Protestant and you go to a church that is not as liturgical as the Catholic, Episcopal, and Lutheran churches, be prepared to feel like you did not go to "church" on Sunday. The ceremony and the familiar aspects of the liturgy will be missed. Just hang in there for a while. That was my wife's experience but as she kept attending an evangelical church, the emphases that it had became more precious to her than the aspects of the Catholic liturgy that she missed. The main difference in the Sunday morning experience, to name only one, is that the primary part of the service in the Roman Catholic Church is the Mass and the primary part of the evangelical church is the preaching of the Word of God. Many evangelical churches don't have Communion every Sunday either.

I think to fully understand and appreciate the worship service in a new church, you have to go for a while and give it a chance. Faithfulness to the Bible and placing high value on Scripture is what most commends an evangelical church. A close second is the fellowship among the membership.

Anyone ever switched churches? I'm currently in the process of becoming a member at a local church in Louisville, after being Catholic(ish) for my entire life.

Anyone else ever changed churches? If so why?

You never did say why you are leaving your existing church???

I'm pretty sure that Protestantism was started be Catholics? So can you not say that all protestant denominations can trace their lineage to Jesus?

Is that not the same as saying the Catholic Church traces their history to "The Way" in the book of Acts, which came directly from Jesus.

I was talking about the Papal lineage that began with Peter, to whom Jesus literally said "upon you I build my Church."

Jesus actually did not say that "literally."

Agree to disagree.

But the world was "literally" created in 7 days?

I don't believe so. The world's creation did begin with God, though.

For those getting ready to bash me for stating my beliefs as matter of fact, I am just expressing what the Catholic Church teaches.

I was talking about the Papal lineage that began with Peter, to whom Jesus literally said "upon you I build my Church."

Jesus actually did not say that "literally."

Agree to disagree.

For those getting ready to bash me for stating my beliefs as matter of fact, I am just expressing what the Catholic Church teaches.

I have no problem with you stating what Catholics believe. I'm not asking you to defend it and i have no desire to get into a debate over the interpretation of what Jesus said.

All I ask is that you read the text and you will see that Jesus did not literally say,

"upon you I build my Church" as you stated. He said, "And upon this rock I will build my church." That is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact and we should agree on the facts. See Matthew 16:18 (NAB Revised edition) notice how I referred to a Roman Catholic approved Bible?

Whether "this rock" refers to Peter and anoints him as the first Pope, or Peter and all the apostles, or the affirmation of faith that he made there or whether it referred to Peter as representative of all disciples but in no sense as it has been interpreted to be the beginning of the Papacy is all a matter of interpretation. But what Jesus actually said is a matter of record and it wasn't what you stated.

Just clarifying. :thumb:

Agree to disagree.

I should have quoted OG. My reply was in response to his post.

But the world was "literally" created in 7 days?

My choice of the word "literally" was a direct quote of InItToWinIt. I thought it ironic that he said Jesus "literally" said something that Jesus did not actually say. It was a mistake on his part... I make them too. But it was a mistake that actually shows his bias concerning that text. That is not an indictment of InItToWinIt. I have my biases too. We all do.

It was not in reference to whether Genesis 1 should be taken as a literal statement of how the universe came into existence.