January 17, 201610 yr Does anyone else notice the similarities between this UK team and the 2013 team? I've been saying it to friends most of the season and have mentioned it on here a couple of times. Seriously though, am I alone on this or does anyone else see the similarities? I see a couple already, although it's not a player by player similarity, just an overall team similarity. I see no similarities. All I see is last years team spoiled everyone so when people look at this team they think they see simply a bad team. When in reality they are not bad but they are just not good in every area like last years team. This is a normal good basketball team that has flaws though. If anything this reminds me of the 2011 team. Look pretty bad in true road games but they are fine usually at home or neutral sites. Which the tournament is played at a neutral site. This team will be fine.
January 17, 201610 yr I'm happy for Poythress that he's got his masters degree because it will definitely come in handy. I don't think basketball for pay is in his future.
January 17, 201610 yr I see no similarities. All I see is last years team spoiled everyone so when people look at this team they think they see simply a bad team. When in reality they are not bad but they are just not good in every area like last years team. This is a normal good basketball team that has flaws though. If anything this reminds me of the 2011 team. Look pretty bad in true road games but they are fine usually at home or neutral sites. Which the tournament is played at a neutral site. This team will be fine. Sorry, but this team is bad. I'd have to go back and check to make sure, but I believe Auburn had lost 5 of their last 6 games prior to this one, on top of that they were missing some guys tonight. This UK team is bad. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a UK fan through thick and thin. I don't consider myself a spoiled fan, but I do know a good basketball team when I see it. This team is not a good basketball team. To put it bluntly, a team that has no post game, can't hit free throws, and is not a good three point shooting team, is a team that is primed and ready for an early ncaa exit. I wear my big blue blinders proudly. But even I can see that this team is not what most would consider a good basketball team. To anyone that disagrees please name one thing they do great, just one thing. Personally I can't think of one thing this team does great.
January 17, 201610 yr Sorry, but this team is bad. I'd have to go back and check to make sure, but I believe Auburn had lost 5 of their last 6 games prior to this one, on top of that they were missing some guys tonight. This UK team is bad. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a UK fan through thick and thin. I don't consider myself a spoiled fan, but I do know a good basketball team when I see it. This team is not a good basketball team. To put it bluntly, a team that has no post game, can't hit free throws, and is not a good three point shooting team, is a team that is primed and ready for an early ncaa exit. I wear my big blue blinders proudly. But even I can see that this team is not what most would consider a good basketball team. To anyone that disagrees please name one thing they do great, just one thing. Personally I can't think of one thing this team does great. You don't have to do anything great to be a good team. I'm sorry but we have to agree to disagree on this team being like 2013. That 2013 team basically had nothing and that is before Noel got hurt. Noel had no inside game, wcs was not wcs yet, they had no guard play, one shooter in Wiltcher and couldn't play defense and was a selfish team. This team has shown more in games this year than that team ever did. This team has actually looked the part in some games. Having a great pg goes a long way come tournament time. They have a guy like Murray who is inconsistent right now but has the ability to take over a game, which that 2013 team did not have that. They have a guy like Briscoe who can drive but also can play right defense on the outside like Ullis. Now inside they are as soft as can be and its going to continue to be a work in process. At the end of the day we have seen many teams who have looked poor in regular season with poor inside play but come tournament time their guard play leads the way. Shoot we have lost to a team like that twice during Cals years in UConn. You can go back and look at those UConn teams and think no way can this team make it to even the sweet 16 based off their regular season play. This team will continue to take lumps on the road but should make progress come tournament time. Imo we are already seeing some progress on the offensive end and Coach Cal is starting to find lineups that work better. Now it's just about continue to fine tune it.
January 17, 201610 yr You don't have to do anything great to be a good team. I'm sorry but we have to agree to disagree on this team being like 2013. That 2013 team basically had nothing and that is before Noel got hurt. Noel had no inside game, wcs was not wcs yet, they had no guard play, one shooter in Wiltcher and couldn't play defense and was a selfish team. This team has shown more in games this year than that team ever did. This team has actually looked the part in some games. Having a great pg goes a long way come tournament time. They have a guy like Murray who is inconsistent right now but has the ability to take over a game, which that 2013 team did not have that. They have a guy like Briscoe who can drive but also can play right defense on the outside like Ullis. Now inside they are as soft as can be and its going to continue to be a work in process. At the end of the day we have seen many teams who have looked poor in regular season with poor inside play but come tournament time their guard play leads the way. Shoot we have lost to a team like that twice during Cals years in UConn. You can go back and look at those UConn teams and think no way can this team make it to even the sweet 16 based off their regular season play. This team will continue to take lumps on the road but should make progress come tournament time. Imo we are already seeing some progress on the offensive end and Coach Cal is starting to find lineups that work better. Now it's just about continue to fine tune it. I hope your right, but I just don't see it that way. We will find out what this team is all about soon enough.
January 17, 201610 yr 2013 started a transfer from Wright State and a walk-on player played significant minutes at PG. They just weren't good enough to compete. What is similar is the Freshman class across the board is weak and UK lost a ton. No interior presence is glaring, but the pieces just aren't fitting well. People have to realize with Murray is that he is a PG, just not on this team. He is used to playing with the ball in his hand. Same with Briscoe, though not as dynamic. People try to make the Goodwin comparison, when I don't think Archie is in the same stratosphere as Murray.
January 17, 201610 yr I'm happy for Poythress that he's got his masters degree because it will definitely come in handy. I don't think basketball for pay is in his future. He will play overseas if he wants to and still make a lot more money than me.
January 17, 201610 yr I do not think there is an overall lack of effort. The current offense dribble drive, pick and pop with Willis, and pick and roll with the other bigs is all the team runs. I would like to see some down screens for Murray, Ulis, Willis and Mulder and back screens on the posts for nothing else to get lobs or create mismatches.
January 17, 201610 yr How about up 5 with about 2 minutes to go...UK comes down calls a time out...out of the time out we get a shot clock violation. Can he not draw up a play or have a go to type of play in that situation? That was horrible and that is all on the coach!
January 17, 201610 yr The late game shot clock violations are happening far to often. And I would agree that when they happen this often the coach gets most of the blame.
January 17, 201610 yr As far as beating Duke, that means about as much as beating USF, as neither are what I would consider a good (sorry swamprat) team. No need to apologize to me. I consider USF about 10 steps below horrible. Besides, Mrs. S and I spoke with Orlando Antigua at the Bulls Club Appreciation event, after the UC game last Sunday. He apologized enough for everybody.
January 17, 201610 yr I'm tired of Cal talking about playing Humphreys and Wynyard. Then do it, they couldn't be worse. Might even get some fight and effort if nothing else. Tough to watch so far this year.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.