Class 1A State Championship: Pikeville 42 Beechwood 28

theguru

Question for 1A fans, is the 5,700 and change fans listed on the box score sheet for attendance a good number for 1A Championships or pretty bad. I would tend to think the latter because of being Thursday night vs Friday morning as many casual fans won't travel on a Thursday night. Just curious

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for 1A fans, is the 5,700 and change fans listed on the box score sheet for attendance a good number for 1A Championships or pretty bad. I would tend to think the latter because of being Thursday night vs Friday morning as many casual fans won't travel on a Thursday night. Just curious

I'm guessing that is paid attendance and not butts-in-seats attendance, but from the feed it looked like there was a pretty solid crowd. I'm sure Pikeville canceling school Thursday and Friday, plus being there for the first time since 1991, played a roll in their nice crowd.

For crowd comparison sake, last year's 1A championship game had a paid attendance of 6,333. It was also played on a Saturday at noon, which is probably the ideal time for a 1A championship game. I'd say this year's attendance stacked up fairly well all things considered.

It was close. Pikeville had a really good crowd. I would say that 5700 number is fairly accurate.

I have been to a lot of 1A state championship games and I would say this was a good sized crowd. Personally, I loved watching them play at night for a change.

If the crowd was down a bit I would say it was because there was only one game played yesterday. Quite often football fans come and watch their team play as well as whoever else is playing.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

Congrats to Pikeville. The better team won. It was a game of momentum swings. I credit Beechwood with getting off the mat after the first quarter...with that being said, Pikeville was also punched in the gut falling behind in the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter begining all tied I liked the Tigers chances but Pikeville adjusted and executed and Beechwood did not. Tough loss for these seniors.

I will say that Pugh is an awesome back and the blocking scheme was dominate most of the night. The Beechwood line could not take control and keep it lastnight. The only other game for them this year where that was the case was a loss.

Great season. This loss will sting for these departing kids... Those who are returning next year shall learn from this one and come back strong

Do they really lose a lot? I would say they lost more talent (in quantity) from 2014 to 2015. Losing Brett Slusher will be a huge hit. I don't think he missed a game his entire career. Having to replace a 3.25 year starter at QB will also be an issue but several of the seniors on this 2015 team were backups in 2014 and they performed well in 2015. This 2015 team also has a good number of underclassman playing so its reloading more than rebuilding.

The cupboard is far from bare in Ft. Mitchell. They'll be fine. Their current freshman class will be the class to watch over the next few years. It's loaded with talent, plus they'll have the depth with the current 8th grade class. As long as those kids stick together and put in the work, they'll be back.

Considering the 2 teams distance to BGreen, playing it on a thursday night and no 2nd game to watch that generally brings a lot of those fans early, I think the 5700 was a really strong turnout.. Had this game on friday at 11:00 as it usually is, you could probably add an easy 1000 to that number..

The cupboard is far from bare in Ft. Mitchell. They'll be fine. Their current freshman class will be the class to watch over the next few years. It's loaded with talent, plus they'll have the depth with the current 8th grade class. As long as those kids stick together and put in the work, they'll be back.

Great point, this years BW freshmen class reminded me a lot of the senior class that just played for a state championship when they were freshmen.

Of course all teams go through the rebuild / reload process, BW will be fine.

Question is can Beechwood win the big game? As of last 7 years answer is no

the first 2 of those 7 Mayfield was a significantly better team, the 3rd was one play/call away from a bw win, and the other 4 the offense has been steered by a qb who panics when one little thing doesn't go "according to plan". BW just hasn't been the best team in 1A in those matchups, because the opponent they were playing was. (except for Frankfort that one year. idk how that happened). The best team has been winning, that team just has not been Beechwood.

Not an excuse, but does anyone else feel something is wrong with television controlling the momentum of a high school championship game? This game's flow was impacted for both teams. IMO KHSAA needs to re-visit. No programs for the fans is another slight that should not exist in a State Championship experience. I guess I am a curmudgeon!

Media has controlled timeouts at games for years. But it is Radio not TV that is doing it.

But they don't call timeouts...All they do is once there is a timeout they ensure the radio is ready for play to resume before the officials allow the ball to be snapped.