Class 1A State Championship: Pikeville 42 Beechwood 28

theguru

It's pretty simple really when looking at the loss of Stringer and Soward. What impact would it have on Pikeville if they played the game without Pugh and Blake Charles?

If Pikeville is missing those two I still don't say Beechwood automatically wins because Pikeville has a lot of other good players and is a well coached team. You have to play the game with who you have. But clearly the loss of those two would make it a bigger challenge for Pikeville.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough schedule. It's the weakest Beechwood schedule in a long time..

... I know! isn't it crazy that it is one of BW's weakest schedules in a long time, yet in comparison to most other 1A schools it was still one of the toughest?

It's pretty simple really when looking at the loss of Stringer and Soward. What impact would it have on Pikeville if they played the game without Pugh and Blake Charles?

If Pikeville is missing those two I still don't say Beechwood automatically wins because Pikeville has a lot of other good players and is a well coached team. You have to play the game with who you have. But clearly the loss of those two would make it a bigger challenge for Pikeville.

I dont think that is a fair comparison to play Devil's Advocate

If it were Slusher and Stringer maybe you could sue that....

You are talking about potentially the second best individual player in 1A and probably one of the Top 10 guys overall.

The more even question would be, "If Pikeville were without Charles and Jarrell.."

I dont think that is a fair comparison to play Devil's Advocate

If it were Slusher and Stringer maybe you could sue that....

You are talking about potentially the second best individual player in 1A and probably one of the Top 10 guys overall.

The more even question would be, "If Pikeville were without Charles and Jarrell.."

Both Stringer and Soward started on both sides of the ball. Stringer was ahead of Pugh in the 1A rushing stats when he got injured and was also a key performer on defense. Soward was the starting fullback and linebacker. There was a noticeable drop in size and strength in the replacements for those two.

Both Stringer and Soward started on both sides of the ball. Stringer was ahead of Pugh in the 1A rushing stats when he got injured and was also a key performer on defense. Soward was the starting fullback and linebacker. There was a noticeable drop in size and strength in the replacements for those two.

If that's the case, I submit to you the reason Beechwood lost then, is not the absence of Stringer and Sowards, he failure to develop depth behind them that didn't result in such an immense drop in size/depth behind Stringer.

Look, we can debate the ifs and buts all off season. At the end of the day, Beechwood had more players on the roster than Pikeville did, so in theory, they should have been better able to absorb the loss of a player or two due to injury than Pikeville would. So you've got a disparity in impact immediately there. Then factor in that they were without Stringer for 4 weeks I believe? That's a failure of coaching to not have been better able to adapt to the loss.

Pikeville won, it's time to drop the talk (by both sides) of "if so and so weren't out". Congratulations to Beechwood on an outstanding season. They were extremely worthy opponents and I have a ton of respect for them and the program.

Daric Pugh is listed as being 19 years old. Just curious as to how close he is to being 20. I am thinking of a Logan Castleman, a 9th grader, who is maybe 15?, trying to tackle this guy who is a beast of a runner.
Listed where?

By rule, if he is 19, he had to have turned 19 after August 1 or he wouldn't be eligible.

I dont think any Beechwood fans are taking anything away from Pikeville...they won the game. I especially aplaud the gut check shown when Beechwood took the lead and had the momentum on thier side.... With that being said... Beechwood being without Stringer is one thing...they had adapted to that for 3 weeks and were able to win while showing some creativity on the offensive side of the ball. The big loss comes from loosing Soward. As the starting fullback he was a viable option out of the backfield...running catching and blocking. Defensively he was a linebacker with primary responsibility in stopping the run. Beechwood had not been able to adequately address that loss. Yes....they had more kids dress because off a bunch of freshman. These are not excuses. Just facts. Pikeville was able to win the game and they were the better team that night Pikeville deserved to win and my hat goes off for them. They were able to adapt and overcome the adversities that arise during a championship run. The 3rd down play late in the 3rd quarter was the key. Beechwood blitzed and Pikeville caught them in it with a swing pass which went about 70 for a score. Everything changed after that play. Truely a classic game.

If that's the case, I submit to you the reason Beechwood lost then, is not the absence of Stringer and Sowards, he failure to develop depth behind them that didn't result in such an immense drop in size/depth behind Stringer.

Look, we can debate the ifs and buts all off season. At the end of the day, Beechwood had more players on the roster than Pikeville did, so in theory, they should have been better able to absorb the loss of a player or two due to injury than Pikeville would. So you've got a disparity in impact immediately there. Then factor in that they were without Stringer for 4 weeks I believe? That's a failure of coaching to not have been better able to adapt to the loss.

Pikeville won, it's time to drop the talk (by both sides) of "if so and so weren't out". Congratulations to Beechwood on an outstanding season. They were extremely worthy opponents and I have a ton of respect for them and the program.

Daric Pugh is listed as being 19 years old. Just curious as to how close he is to being 20. I am thinking of a Logan Castleman, a 9th grader, who is maybe 15?, trying to tackle this guy who is a beast of a runner.

Castleman looked fairly stout to me. No sense using this as an implication or a way of "throwing shade" when Pugh wasn't being tackled very well by even bigger guys. He just turned 19 recently.

Lol! If you want to use that excuse, our QB, who is only15 through three tds on your defense so that theory is out the door. Then, if you want to consider our starting OT was out mid season forward . Would he have scored tds? Not likely, however, he certainly would have done his part for Daric Pugh, and other backs to score. The fact is, the coaching staff took up the slack by replacing him. Also consider one of our Wr was out with an injury. would he have scored points and done his part? Very likely. The point is, it's a Beechwood problem. Pikeville adjusted to those discrepancies through the remainder of the season, and went on to win the 1-A championship. Some of you Beechwood fans can whine and make excuses from now til next season and beyond. Pikeville lined up and played what was put in front of them and won. These are the facts.

Lol! If you want to use that excuse, our QB, who is only15 through three tds on your defense so that theory is out the door. Then, if you want to consider our starting OT was out mid season forward . Would he have scored tds? Not likely, however, he certainly would have done his part for Daric Pugh, and other backs to score. The fact is, the coaching staff took up the slack by replacing him. Also consider one of our Wr was out with an injury. would he have scored points and done his part? Very likely. The point is, it's a Beechwood problem. Pikeville adjusted to those discrepancies through the remainder of the season, and went on to win the 1-A championship. Some of you Beechwood fans can whine and make excuses from now til next season and beyond. Pikeville lined up and played what was put in front of them and won. These are the facts.

Wow. Pump the breaks. I see NOBODY making excuses....maybe still smarting a bit and soothing the soul...nothing but respect given to Pville. Why make it ugly?

I understand this response in light of the Pugh comments. His age is a complete non factor IMO and I don't care about that at all.

However, I do want to point out that the Stringer and Soward discussion all started because a non Beechwood or Pikeville poster asked what the impact of their loss was. No excuses or whining. Just answering the question asked and follow up discussion.

Wow. Pump the breaks. I see NOBODY making excuses....maybe still smarting a bit and soothing the soul...nothing but respect given to Pville. Why make it ugly?

Where's any ugliness? Just trying to put the "what ifs" to rest, and showing facts. Nothing but respect for the Beechwood program, always have. Just got outplayed this time around.