October 26, 201510 yr Given that there are no allegations of ongoing wrongdoing, the need to take swift action is lessened. A thorough investigation and analysis of the facts generated from that investigation can and will be completed. Duke LAX is an imperfect but instructive example. Rolling Stone article on date rape at UVa serves the same purpose - get the facts correct. If you do the full investigation and find that Pitino "knew about" or "ordered" the Code Red, him, Jurich and maybe Ramsey are gone. Program takes a huge hit, championship is taken away and someone is brought in to rebuild a great but broken program. If you do the full investigation and conclusively establish that McGee went "rogue" with his own $ and turned what people thought were parties with co-eds & some strippers into prostitution (potentially with underage participants), but nobody in the UofL basketball program other than McGee knew about the "side action," Pitino, Jurich & Ramsey survive, UofL gets some NCAA sanctions (starting with a self-imposed postseason ban & some scholarships), the banner stays in Yum! and they set about cleaning up a tarnished program. In all likelihood, the investigation reveals something between those 2 extremes. Whatever it reveals, make your decisions then, not now when all that is circulating is questions and partial information.
October 26, 201510 yr In the article I linked by Eric Crawford, Mc Gee asked to pay later several times, paid with tickets some times, and once asked for the money back in exchange for a signed Pitino bottle of Makers. That, to me, along with MgGee utilizing an ATM seems to indicate that he paid on his own dime. And all of that calls into question Ms. Powell's assertion that there were "banded stacks of 100's" (sic)
October 26, 201510 yr 1) Not true. Pitino has had many affairs. He was a rampant womanizer in Lexington but I'm sure that was just Rick Being Rick back then. HOWEVER, many of the details Sypher related ahead of the trial have been refuted by multiple sources and are extremely dubious claims made by a woman looking to save her own backside from prison. 2) No UofL fan in this thread has claimed there were no dorm parties or that illicit things were going on. However, Ms. Powell has yet to give detailed explanations of the inconsistencies in her story and certain events she describes may not have taken place. The truth seems to be hidden inside an insane story that now even the woman herself is slowly backing away from in certain respects. 3) McGee had a relationship with this woman and definitely was up to something. Find me someone here on BGP that claimed McGee is anything other than the perpetrator here. Lots of invented straw men on the part of a few of you. So you agree with me then that the things I stated happened. Notice I never defended the woman in any way nor did I even mention her name in my post. Just because we Don't like what she did doesn't mean the claims made didn't occur.
October 26, 201510 yr In the article I linked by Eric Crawford, Mc Gee asked to pay later several times, paid with tickets some times, and once asked for the money back in exchange for a signed Pitino bottle of Makers. That, to me, along with MgGee utilizing an ATM seems to indicate that he paid on his own dime. And all of that calls into question Ms. Powell's assertion that there were "banded stacks of 100's" (sic) Before I ask this question please keep in mind that I have no idea what actually happened nor do I pretend to know. Why would McGee continue to pay on his own dime even after he left Louisville? I think that is a difficult thing to explain.
October 26, 201510 yr Before I ask this question please keep in mind that I have no idea what actually happened nor do I pretend to know. Why would McGee continue to pay on his own dime even after he left Louisville? I think that is a difficult thing to explain. Theat Blakeney meeting is BY FAR the most troubling. It appears to be the one with the most clear timeline and description in the book, the most verifiable evidence, happened after McGee left the staff, and, of course, involves a recruit and his father. That meeting alone would have caused serious problems for Louisville.
October 26, 201510 yr Before I ask this question please keep in mind that I have no idea what actually happened nor do I pretend to know. Why would McGee continue to pay on his own dime even after he left Louisville? I think that is a difficult thing to explain. I agree with you. I'm just throwing out what has been disclosed thus far. I think Eric Crawford does a fantastic job in the article, trying to lay it all out to try and ascertain the "what we know" and "what we don't know". While I am certain SOMETHING happened, the selective nature of the diclosures and the contradictions of some accounts in one place versus another just leaves me with so many questions. There are so many questions that Ms. Powell either can't or won't answer that, if answered, would connect the dots.
October 26, 201510 yr Before I ask this question please keep in mind that I have no idea what actually happened nor do I pretend to know. Why would McGee continue to pay on his own dime even after he left Louisville? I think that is a difficult thing to explain. No argument there. For all we know McGee may have been trying to simply stay in Pitino's good graces. Had UL gotten Blakeney then McGee would have been able to always remind Pitino that he still delivered for him while working for someone else. That kind of power can be better than money sometimes. I think one could also assume that while McGee was no longer employed by UL he could have still had contacts there and someone could have reached out to him for help with Blakeney. We simply don't know the answer right now so speculation is running rampant. Lots of things could explain it but like you I want to know the explanation.
October 27, 201510 yr I I agree with you. I'm just throwing out what has been disclosed thus far. I think Eric Crawford does a fantastic job in the article, trying to lay it all out to try and ascertain the "what we know" and "what we don't know". While I am certain SOMETHING happened, the selective nature of the diclosures and the contradictions of some accounts in one place versus another just leaves me with so many questions. There are so many questions that Ms. Powell either can't or won't answer that, if answered, would connect the dots. Is Crawford Pro UL or not? Serious question please don't kill me.
October 27, 201510 yr I Is Crawford Pro UL or not? Serious question please don't kill me. I think he is the UL beat writer for the Courier Journal. I know he writes for the Courier Journal.
October 27, 201510 yr I Is Crawford Pro UL or not? Serious question please don't kill me. He's a bit all over the place. Grew up a UK fan. Has covered UofL and UK both in local media. Helped Pitino write his last book.
October 27, 201510 yr I think he is the UL beat writer for the Courier Journal. I know he writes for the Courier Journal. Not anymore. Left the C-J a couple years back and went to WDRB-TV. Does both writing for their website and on camera appearances. It's been interesting to follow WDRB's coverage. As Rick Bozish has continually taken the approach that Pitino should go immediately, Crawford is there on the same page advocating for patience and letting the process play out. WDRB's biggest sports writers have covered both sides. It's not a bad strategy...
October 27, 201510 yr Not anymore. Left the C-J a couple years back and went to WDRB-TV. Does both writing for their website and on camera appearances. It's been interesting to follow WDRB's coverage. As Rick Bozish has continually taken the approach that Pitino should go immediately, Crawford is there on the same page advocating for patience and letting the process play out. WDRB's biggest sports writers have covered both sides. It's not a bad strategy... That's a nice gig right there. I see you Eric Crawford. I see you.
October 27, 201510 yr I think he is the UL beat writer for the Courier Journal. I know he writes for the Courier Journal. The current beat writer for the Courier-Journal primarily covering basketball is Jeff Greer. In my opinion, he is fantastic at his job. I always laugh when I hear the Jurich controls the Louisville media narrative when I look at the comparison between Greer and Kyle Tucker in the CJ.
October 27, 201510 yr The current beat writer for the Courier-Journal primarily covering basketball is Jeff Greer. In my opinion, he is fantastic at his job. I always laugh when I hear the Jurich controls the Louisville media narrative when I look at the comparison between Greer and Kyle Tucker in the CJ. So you're saying Jurich doesn't control the Louisville Media and Tucker is bias toward UK?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.