Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Barker Could Be Under Center

Featured Replies

2-0 with a road win at South Carolina. In good with Towles

  • Replies 38
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put a great deal of the Game 1 2nd half struggles on Towles. He was terrible in the 2nd half.

 

I put a great deal of the Game 2 2nd half struggles on either Shannon Dawson or Stoops or whoever had the idea to be ultra-conservative, especially in the 3rd quarter.

 

Starting two drives 1st and 20 deep in their own territory may have dictated that.

Holding call on the first play of both possessions was tough.

 

On 2nd drive they came out with an empty backfield and completed a pass for around 13 yards over the middle but lost it due to another hold call. Putting UK 1st and 20 on the 15.

 

I think those two holds killed momentum for a lot of the half and then the D couldn't get off of the field.

One more thought about the second half play calling...UK had gashed SC running the ball in the first half. If they hadn't come out in the second half and tried to continue to pound the ball everyone would have went nuts.

 

SC made an adjustment and stopped the run...but in case anyone forgot

KENTUCKY WON THE GAME!!!

Starting two drives 1st and 20 deep in their own territory may have dictated that.

Holding call on the first play of both possessions was tough.

 

On 2nd drive they came out with an empty backfield and completed a pass for around 13 yards over the middle but lost it due to another hold call. Putting UK 1st and 20 on the 15.

 

I think those two holds killed momentum for a lot of the half and then the D couldn't get off of the field.

 

Definitely some truth to this and I'm all for going back to the ground game after having so much 1st half success. I still think they play-calling in the 3rd quarter was way too conservative and helped SC get back into it.

 

As others have said, UK won and that's what matters. But it is concerning that in two games, the offense has essentially vanished in the 2nd half.

My thing is Boo has just got his 4th straight 100 yard game, they apparently loaded the box and stopped the run, they were in cover 3 in the first half. So the adjustment has to be made to throw the ball, pretty simple. Bad part is UK was backed up first 2 possessions, they didn't trust Patrick enough on that end of the field plan and simple. South Carolina made the adjustment and we did not execute, whether it be Towles or OC. UK did win the game, and defense/offense made plays when they had to which is something they had not done before. You can bet that Florida is going to load the box, and pash rush hard as they can, if we don't make plays on the edges, we have no chance.

Im not a hard core UK fan. I think that everyone should be absolutely thrilled that UK is 2-0 with an SEC road win for the 1st time since the forward pass became legal!

This team will get some quality wins this year! I agree that they have to clean up their 2nd half issues ( Florida 2014), so it wasn't just these 1st two weeks this year. Both the coaches and players have to learn how to finish teams off. No one at this level rolls over after one half. Most make great half time adjustments and make a run in the 2nd half. Learn from it UK!

Towles is the better quarterback, period.

The coaches have watched both QBs extensively and Towles is 2-0. I'll trust Stoops and company to make the best decision (which they did).

The coaches have watched both QBs extensively and Towles is 2-0. I'll trust Stoops and company to make the best decision (which they did).

 

 

Towles has done nothing to lose is gig.

 

However, if he should falter I feel good about Plan B.

I was listening and I don't think we should read into his comments that much.

 

This ^

I did also. I'm not sure why Stoops is being wishy washy right now. Be a man, Mark.

 

Head games? Trying to light a fire under someone?

I really want to see Barker under center but if he was better than Towles the would be playing already period. PT starting tells me a lot more than saying it was a close battle and Patrick won. Drew was a big time recruit and I feel if he was better he would already be under center to get him the experience he needs and it's always better to have a multi year starter than a 1 and out QB. The way this is going if PT stays after this year Drew may be looking at battling the incoming QB's to get on the field his junior year.

Towles is the better quarterback, period.

 

Not saying it is not true. However you know this based on what?

I really want to see Barker under center but if he was better than Towles the would be playing already period. PT starting tells me a lot more than saying it was a close battle and Patrick won. Drew was a big time recruit and I feel if he was better he would already be under center to get him the experience he needs and it's always better to have a multi year starter than a 1 and out QB. The way this is going if PT stays after this year Drew may be looking at battling the incoming QB's to get on the field his junior year.

 

Maybe or maybe not. Even if them two were completely even in practices during the spring and summer. If they were even, then Towles obviously would be the one who would get the nod, because he has the experience. No one knows including the coaches exactly how Barker would do in a game situation. Shoot just look at UK's last two opponents. It seemed like the backup QB's were actually better than the starters and gave UK a lot more fits. However the coaches probably didn't know that because it took seeing players in an actual game to find out. So people to say that someone is flat out better period is wrong IMO, because no one really knows yet because no one seen Barker play including the coaches. However Barker would have had to complete out play Towles in camp to overtake Towles since Towles has the experience. Coaches are usually more comfortable going with what they know, rather than the unknown.

 

Which by the way I agree with everyone UK is 2 and 0, so Towles should keep starting. He has done nothing to lose the job.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.