14th region

Why don't they change that...Are'nt any of the gyms in the rest of the region suitable to hold the tournament???

That's been debated on BGP several times in the past few years. The arguments usually given are Mason County's seating (6500), and the money that can be generated at the gate. But some of the schools in the western section of the region, such as Clark or Montgomery, may not share those sentiments.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rotation was set by the 14th region policy back in the late '90s. Letcher Central was included last year, and they were suppose to host the region but couldn't get their new gym finished in time.

IMO, the best venues to host the tournament are:

1 Perry Central (seats 4500 and have the parking and their ability to move traffic after the games is very good. Plus, they're the most centrally located host in the region.

2 Knott Central (seats 5000. Has decent parking, but only one outlet after the games, which leads to traffic jams. If not for this factor, they would be number 1).

3 Powell County (seats 3500 and has more than enough parking, with 3 different outlets to move traffic after the games).

4 Breathitt County (seats around 3700, in my estimation, which is enough, but they have horrible parking facilities).

5 Letcher Central (I haven't see their gym but am told that it will seat 3500. My guess is the parking shouldn't be a problem, and it may actually be a tie with Powell for 3rd after future review).

6 Hazard (seats approximately 2400, which is not nearly enough to host a region, and the parking is absolutely terrible. This venue should be taken out of the rotation).

The only thing I would take issue with you on is Powell County. Not the seating nor the parking but IMO the Gym is the worst on the list. The fans set right on the floor and as we have seen in the past that leads to big trouble sometimes with them pouring onto the floor to fight the players. Plus, just to go get a pepsi you almost surely have to walk on the edge of the floor. I just don't like it.

So is it... Knott 06' , Hazard 05' , Breathitt 04' , Powell 03' , Perry 02' , does'nt letcher Central get it sometime?

All schools are in the rotation to host. But in one rotation Breathitt will host it once but it will be hld in their gym 3 times, one is theirs, one is Jackson City and one is Riverside.

That's been debated on BGP several times in the past few years. The arguments usually given are Mason County's seating (6500), and the money that can be generated at the gate. But some of the schools in the western section of the region, such as Clark or Montgomery, may not share those sentiments.

And they're probably closer to Maysville than those in the "northern" part of the region? It's a geographicly BIG region!!

All schools are in the rotation to host. But in one rotation Breathitt will host it once but it will be hld in their gym 3 times, one is theirs, one is Jackson City and one is Riverside.

I think you are confusing the district tournament rotation with the regional tournament rotation. In the district each school has a turn to host (in most districts, anyway) and naturally a school the size of Riverside couldn't realistically be a host i the 55th, so they give their turn to another school. But the region rotaton is not like that. The region rotation is set by the 14th region policy board. The rotation was last set in 1997 (I believe) and the new Letcher school was added to it last year. Each district has the region at least once in the rotation, with both the 53rd and 54th getting it twice. All you have to do to see who will be the host in, say, 2020, is simply look at the rotation that was submitted to the KHSAA. It will stay as it is unless the policy board votes to make a change in the future.

If Hazard can host region I think Leslie could. They have way more parking. The gym is almost as big and recently re-modeled.

I agree.

However, their school administrators have said (at 14th region policy board meetings) that when they hosted the region once before (1985), they discovered that just didn't have a big enough facility to adequately hold the tournament. Therefore, they did not submit their school to be considered in the rotation when the new plan was drawn up the late '90s.

But you're right, Leslie has a much better venue than Hazard to host the region. It's just that Hazard's officials can't seem to see this. All they talked about the last time they hosted the tournament in 2005 was all the "tradition" that was a part of Memorial Gym. Well, they have hosted it more than anyone else, I will agree on that. But only because, until 1965 when Breathitt opened their gym, no one else in the region had a facility big enough to hold the tournament. That's not the case now. At least 5 other schools have a bigger/better venue. They should open their eyes and use a little logic like their neighbors down the road in Hyden have already done.

There's no excuse for fans to have to stand outside in the pouring snow to wait until the first game is over so the gym can empty enough for them to be allowed in the building. That's what happened to many of Owsley and Leslie's fans in during the Friday night semifinal game between Perry and Breathitt in 2005. And in this day and age no school should have to shuttle bus the fans to the site. If they do, then that's a red flag right there that maybe the venue is too small or outdated.

Tradition does not help to make a gym big enough or safe enough and the parking good enough. A tournament should never be played in that old gym at Hazard. You have too many bigger, better places. KCC was running over this past Dis. and Reg. tournaments, and when a game went into 2 overtimes fans had to wait for a seat. There was standing room only inside and people waiting to get in. Lets put a little thought into the comfort and safety of the fans. I'm sure they think tradition at Hazard, but there are fans from other places that don't know or care. I think KCC seats 5500 , way more than Hazard.

Tradition does not help to make a gym big enough or safe enough and the parking good enough. A tournament should never be played in that old gym at Hazard. You have too many bigger, better places. KCC was running over this past Dis. and Reg. tournaments, and when a game went into 2 overtimes fans had to wait for a seat. There was standing room only inside and people waiting to get in. Lets put a little thought into the comfort and safety of the fans. I'm sure they think tradition at Hazard, but there are fans from other places that don't know or care. I think KCC seats 5500 , way more than Hazard.

KCC is the best place to host region IMO. It could use more parking but the facilities are great and has one of the best floors around.

If Hazard can host region I think Leslie could. They have way more parking. The gym is almost as big and recently re-modeled.

That is exactly right. What I dont understand is how they can hold the girls region there but not the boys. They say because of the amount of pople that show isnt as big as the boys would be. The isnt true. At this years regional held at Leslie you couldnt find a seat during either one of the Breathitt vs PCC or Letcher vs Breathitt. I bet there was a godd 100-150 people standing up on the sidelines just to watch.

That is exactly right. What I dont understand is how they can hold the girls region there but not the boys. They say because of the amount of pople that show isnt as big as the boys would be. The isnt true. At this years regional held at Leslie you couldnt find a seat during either one of the Breathitt vs PCC or Letcher vs Breathitt. I bet there was a godd 100-150 people standing up on the sidelines just to watch.

Yes, I was there. It holds almost as much as Hazard and has better parking IMO.

The girls region doesn't draw nearly as many fans as the boy's does, not even close. Leslie's gym only seats around 2500, about the same size as Hazard and Estill's gyms. But 2500 is not enough to host a boy's region.

I think Perry Central is the best facility to host the region. It seats about 500 less than Knott Central, but the parking and exit routes after the games are so much better. And it's is the best location, as far as travel time, for all the schools in the region.

I think you are confusing the district tournament rotation with the regional tournament rotation. In the district each school has a turn to host (in most districts, anyway) and naturally a school the size of Riverside couldn't realistically be a host i the 55th, so they give their turn to another school. But the region rotaton is not like that. The region rotation is set by the 14th region policy board. The rotation was last set in 1997 (I believe) and the new Letcher school was added to it last year. Each district has the region at least once in the rotation, with both the 53rd and 54th getting it twice. All you have to do to see who will be the host in, say, 2020, is simply look at the rotation that was submitted to the KHSAA. It will stay as it is unless the policy board votes to make a change in the future.

You are so right, my bad.