Decision Day. What will she do?

LRCW

What will Kim Davis do today?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What will Kim Davis do today?

• Continue to deny marriage licenses, and go to jail.
    • Resign
    • Close her office
    • Issue Licenses
    • Other. Please explain

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the Motion for Contempt filed by the Plaintiffs. Interestingly, they did not request incarceration as a remedy. They requested significant and increasing fines to encourage compliance.

Q: does she owe the fines personally? Suspect no insurance the County has would cover this (and if it did, how would you ever get her to comply since she was feeling no pain)?

Q: if she has basically infinite resources from like-minded souls via GoFundMe and similar to pay her fine, how do fines alter her conduct

I think she ends up in jail for 2 reasons: 1 - to compel compliance with the law; 2 - her "absence from the job" would seem to allow the Judge Executive to begin issuing marriage licenses based on the job descriptions.

NOTE: although as an elected official she can't be fired, Conway is currently looking at criminal charges for official misconduct. Very tricky political move for Conway right now, but clearly the right thing to do as AG.

From the U.S. Attorney Manual

Tests for Distinguishing Between Civil and Criminal Contempt—Nature of Relief Sought

A contempt is criminal when punishment by way of fine or imprisonment is deemed imperative to vindicate the authority of the court. In contrast, civil contempt is remedial rather than punitive, serves only the purpose of the party litigant, and is intended to coerce compliance with an order of the court or to compensate for losses or damages caused by noncompliance.

In a contempt proceeding, the court must exercise the least possible power to obtain the desired result. This rule requires that the trial judge expressly consider the feasibility of obtaining acceptable relief through the imposition of civil contempt before resorting to criminal contempt. Although such a consideration is required, the judge need not in fact impose civil penalties prior to the imposition of criminal penalties.

That's the cost the county attorney said it would be for the residents of Rowan County to have his office defend the several lawsuits she has caused..

Plus the legal fees of the people suing her and Rowan, when, and there is no if's about it, so when she loses, Rowan Co will be paying a huge chuck of cash to settle. I hope they are prepared in Rowan to lose a few county jobs or services for a bit so they have enough money to pay for the settlements.

I just watched on the news where Kim Davis and the gay couple wishing to be issued a marriage licenses had an exchange of words today, and at the risk of sounding stereotypical, am I the only one who finds a homosexual male having a hissy fit a bit disturbing as it is humorous?

It seems there is a lot of bigotry and hatred in this thread with peoples comment and with some folks making fun of someone who doesn't believe like them.

The double standard is disgusting.

I see her no different fighting for her right to not have to sign something she doesn't believe in. She is not trying to stop those two men from marrying each other. She is only fighting for her right to not have to sign something she cannot believe in. There is NO DIFFERENCE between her fighting for her right, the same as the two men are fighting for their right. YET many choose to spit venom to her and it is a DOUBLE STANDARD.

I will stand in the quiet majority on this. If anyone is proud of two men fighting to get married, standing up for their so called right, not being deterred and bullied, then we can be just the same, proud of her for standing up for what she believes in. She made it clear...she cannot put her name on a marriage certificate with two of the same sex. She has a right to religious liberty, and those rights do not go away just because she is an elected official. Those two fellows can still get hitched if they want to, she is not stopping them. She is just standing for her religious liberty....so good for her. Now let's stop being prejudice, middle schoolers and stop making fun of her.

What if I started making fun of Bill and Bob getting married? Many of you would call me some choice names. To me, the shoe is on the other foot, and it is something what comes out of those who have been preaching acceptance and the such so much.

It seems there is a lot of bigotry and hatred in this thread with peoples comment and with some folks making fun of someone who doesn't believe like them.

The double standard is disgusting.

I see her no different fighting for her right to not have to sign something she doesn't believe in. She is not trying to stop those two men from marrying each other. She is only fighting for her right to not have to sign something she cannot believe in. There is NO DIFFERENCE between her fighting for her right, the same as the two men are fighting for their right. YET many choose to spit venom to her and it is a DOUBLE STANDARD.

I will stand in the quiet majority on this. If anyone is proud of two men fighting to get married, standing up for their so called right, not being deterred and bullied, then we can be just the same, proud of her for standing up for what she believes in. She made it clear...she cannot put her name on a marriage certificate with two of the same sex. She has a right to religious liberty, and those rights do not go away just because she is an elected official. Those two fellows can still get hitched if they want to, she is not stopping them. She is just standing for her religious liberty....so good for her. Now let's stop being prejudice, middle schoolers and stop making fun of her.

What if I started making fun of Bill and Bob getting married? Many of you would call me some choice names. To me, the shoe is on the other foot, and it is something what comes out of those who have been preaching acceptance and the such so much.

I agree that her right to religious liberty should not be impeded. Because of that, she should resign IMO, others have for the same belief, in MS I believe.