Decision Day. What will she do?

LRCW

What will Kim Davis do today?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What will Kim Davis do today?

• Continue to deny marriage licenses, and go to jail.
    • Resign
    • Close her office
    • Issue Licenses
    • Other. Please explain

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some of the people who support gay marriage think their beliefs are right and hers is wrong? Isn't that bigotry?

bigot Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

So, I'm a bigot because I want her to do the job she is paid to do?

Man..... how could I have been so misguided?

Edit: I wouldn't really call actions opposed to a bigot as being a bigot as well. Like, I just have a hard time understanding the people who think that since they aren't allowed to discriminate, and it means that they are being discriminated against. That seems like the argument a child would use when they want to watch more tv or something along those lines.

It's not the same. Not at all, actually.

Edited by thehotsnakes

^ Which specific part of that do you feel allows this women to refuse to do her job, without repercussions, as a result of her religious beliefs?

That was simply a list or description of what religious rights would look like. It is not exhaustive meaning it is not limited to these examples. I thought it captured idea of what religious liberty looks like.

As for your answer, the first amendment works quite well. The first amendment preserves our freedom for each person to follow his own conscience, and gives us the right to exercise our religion as conviction and conscience dictate.

What is crazy about this situation and some of the other comments is this...

HER RIGHT TO HER RELIGIOUS CONVICTIONS IS NOT PREVENTING TWO MEN FROM GETTING MARRIED. Let that sink in.

Her constitutional right to exercise her convictions and conscience IS NOT hindering these two fellows from their right.

No matter how much one hates her and wants her dead and gone, she has a right to religious convictions and the manifestations there of.

Her job is to issue marriage licenses. If she's refusing to do it, for whatever reason she needs to be removed from office or thrown in jail for contempt of court. Not a very difficult concept to grasp.

I guess in your mind @TripleSevens if I decided my religious convictions prevented me from actually showing up for work, I should still draw my salary right?

I am certainly not as smart as ColonelCrazy when it comes to law but here's where I think you are completely off base , @TripleSevens , in your belief that her religious rights are being violated.

The Freedom of Religion does not supersede law. The law says gays can legally marry. When she refuses to allow that to happen she is breaking the law. Do we agree on that?

If so, your (and her)argument that this violates her freedom of religion is completely off base.

Again, I am not a legal scholar. Could be wrong. Doubt it though. Seems pretty straightforward.

What TripleSevens could consider if he is being downright realistic is that yes indeed, right or wrong, she is standing up for her beliefs, but in doing so she is presently breaking the law. He might agree with her stance, but he also needs to understand that agreeing with her doesn't make it legal.

If he can't see this then he holds no credibility in speaking as if he is the authority on the matter.

What befuddles me is that while Christian religious extremist cry for their rights to deny other people theirs, they'd also be the same to cry foul if religious extremists from other religions would act the same way. Shortsighted inconsistent illogical bull crap.

What TripleSevens could consider if he is being downright realistic is that yes indeed, right or wrong, she is standing up for her beliefs, but in doing so she is presently breaking the law. He might agree with her stance, but he also needs to understand that agreeing with her doesn't make it legal.

If he can't see this then he holds no credibility in speaking as if he is the authority on the matter.

What befuddles me is that while Christian religious extremist cry for their rights to deny other people theirs, they'd also be the same to cry foul if religious extremists from other religions would act the same way. Shortsighted inconsistent illogical bull crap.

The bolded is a very tactful way of putting it. Kudos my man. :thumb:

To those people that said..."what is wrong with same sex wanting to get married? It does not effect you."

Well, here is your first answer in real life.

The loss of religious liberty.

There is no longer a right to follow your heart and convictions, and LIVE OUT your faith and religion?

That does effect me and countless born again Christians that have a heart to follow God and honor him.

I never thought I would live to see the day in America where a Christian is so persecuted, possibly put in jail, and even given death threats for manifesting their faith.

Well here we are. On the heels of the supreme court ruling, religious liberties are sucked away.

Have a nice day all...Lord bless you! I have to go to work.