July 30, 201511 yr IMO, the shot was fired way too quick for that to be the case. That's a lot of thinking for about a second of time.True, but unfortunately those split second decisions are made every day. I just think something like that is more probable/plausible than thinking that he just decided to execute him for no reason, as some have said. Of course he could have just freaked out and shot him...
July 30, 201511 yr The officer made several mistake during the stop. One of them was lingering on the fact that he didn't produce a driver's license. None of that justifies what happened. I don't think anyone thinks not handing over the license was a reason to shoot him. What ever happened through that door window is the only thing that matters...the rest is just noise IMO
July 30, 201511 yr Author The officer made several mistake during the stop. One of them was lingering on the fact that he didn't produce a driver's license. None of that justifies what happened. I agree the officer made mistakes and of course none of it justified a shooting. Asking for a license is the first thing that is asked by any officer. You don't make the cop ask 10 times unless you want to go to jail, which for this guy was probably the only option and he knew it.
July 30, 201511 yr I agree the officer made mistakes and of course none of it justified a shooting. Asking for a license is the first thing that is asked by any officer. You don't make the cop ask 10 times unless you want to go to jail, which for this guy was probably the only option and he knew it. Not producing a driver's license is not a reason to go to jail.
July 30, 201511 yr Author Not producing a driver's license is not a reason to go to jail. Is it if you are driving on a suspended license? Or maybe he wanted him to call it in so he could take off to avoid going to jail like he later tried to do. Without proof of ID this cop did not know if this guy was a preacher or a mass murderer on the run.
July 30, 201511 yr I agree the officer made mistakes and of course none of it justified a shooting. Asking for a license is the first thing that is asked by any officer. You don't make the cop ask 10 times unless you want to go to jail, which for this guy was probably the only option and he knew it. And...at what point was lethal force necessary?
July 30, 201511 yr Author And...at what point was lethal force necessary? From what I saw, I don't think lethal force was necessary. I'm assuming the cop felt he needed to. I don't think he wanted to. I think he made a very bad split second decision.
July 30, 201511 yr Question, the suspect starts the car before the altercation happens right? Wouldn't that trigger a possible dangerous situation, or at least that thought by the officer?
July 30, 201511 yr Not producing a driver's license is not a reason to go to jail. Perhaps theguru or somebody else could verify this, but I'm pretty sure that in Kentucky driving without a valid license is a class B misdemeanor which comes with the possibility of up to 90 days in jail. Now if you mean by not producing a driver's license that you did not have it on you, than I believe that you could get the charge reduced or possibly dismissed if you are able to proof that you had a valid driver's license that was issued prior to the traffic stop. I have no actual knowledge but I doubt that anyone would get jail time for simply not having a valid license on them, if they could produce it at a later time, but driving without a license could very well result in some time in jail.
July 30, 201511 yr No question that he shouldn't have shot him, no question. I just don't think it's a clear cut as the prosecutor is alleging. Looks like the guy is trying to make a big name for himself. Once again as I have stated in other threads like this one. Respect the law and those sworn to enforce it and these situations can be avoided.
July 30, 201511 yr Author Perhaps theguru or somebody else could verify this, but I'm pretty sure that in Kentucky driving without a valid license is a class B misdemeanor which comes with the possibility of up to 90 days in jail. Now if you mean by not producing a driver's license that you did not have it on you, than I believe that you could get the charge reduced or possibly dismissed if you are able to proof that you had a valid driver's license that was issued prior to the traffic stop. I have no actual knowledge but I doubt that anyone would get jail time for simply not having a valid license on them, if they could produce it at a later time, but driving without a license could very well result in some time in jail. The link I posted at the beginning of the thread said it was suspended.
July 30, 201511 yr Question, the suspect starts the car before the altercation happens right? Wouldn't that trigger a possible dangerous situation, or at least that thought by the officer? How is starting the car dangerous to the officer when the officer is on the side of the car?
July 30, 201511 yr No question that he shouldn't have shot him, no question. I just don't think it's a clear cut as the prosecutor is alleging. Looks like the guy is trying to make a big name for himself. Once again as I have stated in other threads like this one. Respect the law and those sworn to enforce it and these situations can be avoided. What is the prosecutor alleging that you disagree with that would somehow absolve the officer?
July 30, 201511 yr No question that he shouldn't have shot him, no question. I just don't think it's a clear cut as the prosecutor is alleging. Looks like the guy is trying to make a big name for himself. Once again as I have stated in other threads like this one. Respect the law and those sworn to enforce it and these situations can be avoided. Didn't care for Deters at all. Right or wrong, that smugness from anybody rubs me the wrong way
July 30, 201511 yr What is the prosecutor alleging that you disagree with that would somehow absolve the officer? If you listen to him it sounds like a cold blooded murder. I don't think for 1 second that the officer had intentions of killing anyone. He made a very poor decision, a decision that he should have never been forced to make. If a policeman, even a dumb policeman, asks you to get out of the vehicle then you should get out of the vehicle. How hard is this to understand? You cannot win by disobeying their demands no matter how wrong they are or right you are.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.