Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC cops kills man.

Featured Replies

How close do the keys have to be? I don't have a keyless ignition but I have friends that do. Their keys are typically in the console so they are always close.

 

If the officer sits them on the trunk, will the keyless ignition still work?

 

And even if the officer holds the keys next to the car and you start it. Once you start driving away, will the car shut off once out of range of the keys?

 

Most of the cars, if you shut them off and take the key out of the car it won't start. I've even done it holding my hand out my mom's driver side window and hers wouldn't start.

 

If it's running and someone drives away, the car doesn't shut off, it just won't start again.

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Views 115k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bond set at $1M.

I am going to make a comparison here to something far less severe/drastic/tragic, but a perfect analogy.

 

I tell my basketball teams every season, DON'T put the referee in a position where he has to make a call at a critical time. Because if you do, he might make the wrong call. For instance, don't run your mouth or look cross at the ref (might get a technical), don't leave your feet and go up and try to block a shot...even if you don't foul the ref might THINK you fouled.

 

Point being is...the victim here stated his car and began to drive off in the middle of a traffic stop, after being told to step out of the car. That was a HUGE mistake. He put the officer in a situation where he had to act in some form or fashion.

 

Is there anyone here who doesn't believe, had Mr. Dubose just stepped out of his car and complied with the directions of the officer, this would just be arrest #76 and none of this would have ever happened?

 

I'm not victim blaming here, though it may seem like it, but you have to admit some of his actions helped propel this situation to it's ultimate outcome. Cop was put in split second situation and he made a choice that he probably now wishes he didn't make. A man is dead and his life is changed forever, sad all around.

 

I have said this several times on other threads...just another reason why being a police officer is so hard and I don't envy any of them that find themselves in this or a similar situation.

Is there anyone here who doesn't believe, had Mr. Dubose just stepped out of his car and complied with the directions of the officer, this would just be arrest #76 and none of this would have ever happened?

 

First of all, you're right. It does sound like you're blaming the victim.

 

Also, I've already said that there's no way you can convince me that had he just gotten out of the car the situation wouldn't have escalated anyway. As quick and unnecessarily as it actually played out, no one can say for sure it wouldn't have escalated outside of the car.

They have to be within a few feet.

 

With my car at least, if the car is on, it'll stay on until turned off, regardless of where the keys are.

 

Most of the cars, if you shut them off and take the key out of the car it won't start. I've even done it holding my hand out my mom's driver side window and hers wouldn't start.

 

If it's running and someone drives away, the car doesn't shut off, it just won't start again.

 

Thanks guys. I was sure how it worked.

 

From what Duece said, it sounds like putting them on the trunk lid may work. But that involves the officer walking away a few steps and losing sight of the driver. Unless the drivers hands remain visible on the steering wheel or window frame, it may not be feasible to move the keys.

Thanks guys. I was sure how it worked.

 

From what Duece said, it sounds like putting them on the trunk lid may work. But that involves the officer walking away a few steps and losing sight of the driver. Unless the drivers hands remain visible on the steering wheel or window frame, it may not be feasible to move the keys.

 

I honestly think most wouldn't work if you put the keys on the roof of the car.

First of all, you're right. It does sound like you're blaming the victim.

 

Also, I've already said that there's no way you can convince me that had he just gotten out of the car the situation wouldn't have escalated anyway. As quick and unnecessarily as it actually played out, no one can say for sure it wouldn't have escalated outside of the car.

 

Well, I guess in a way there IS some blame to be placed on the victim. I'm not saying the officer didn't make a mistake in his actions, but Mr. Dubose sure didn't help matters any by starting his car and trying to drive off, and THAT just can't be debated.

 

As to your second part, that is very debatable. Had Mr. Dubose stepped out, been compliant and followed directions, the event PROBABLY goes down like thousands of arrests go down every day, with no issues, and I see no reason that it wouldn't have. Unfortunately that's not how it played out though.

Well, I guess in a way there IS some blame to be placed on the victim. I'm not saying the officer didn't make a mistake in his actions, but Mr. Dubose sure didn't help matters any by starting his car and trying to drive off, and THAT just can't be debated.

 

As to your second part, that is very debatable. Had Mr. Dubose stepped out, been compliant and followed directions, the event PROBABLY goes down like thousands of arrests go down every day, with no issues, and I see no reason that it wouldn't have. Unfortunately that's not how it played out though.

 

My argument is that there are probably thousands of stops where people don't produce a license where the officer doesn't get agitated and doesn't shoot someone in the head...

My argument is that there are probably thousands of stops where people don't produce a license where the officer doesn't get agitated and doesn't shoot someone in the head...

 

And I'm willing to bet there are quite a few incidents a day where someone drives away from a cop during a stop and they aren't shot.

My argument is that there are probably thousands of stops where people don't produce a license where the officer doesn't get agitated and doesn't shoot someone in the head...

 

And I'd say most of those stops don't include the driver being pulled over starting his car in the middle of the stop and trying to drive off. I know I wouldn't do it, if for nothing else for fear that something just like this could happen to me.

And I'd say most of those stops don't include the driver being pulled over starting his car in the middle of the stop and trying to drive off. I know I wouldn't do it, if for nothing else for fear that something just like this could happen to me.

 

NKU already beat me to it, I bet there are thousands of traffic stops where someone drives away from a cop and doesn't get shot.

NKU already beat me to it, I bet there are thousands of traffic stops where someone drives away from a cop and doesn't get shot.

 

I doubt that...some for sure...but I doubt on a daily basis there are very many, especially compared to the number of stops every day.

I doubt that...some for sure...but I doubt on a daily basis there are very many, especially compared to the number of stops every day.

 

Fine. Use whatever measurement you want.

 

Doesn't change the point at all.

@theguru - address the police policies/practices of handling a person who flees in a car when they were pulled over for a traffic stop.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.