July 30, 201511 yr I am going to make a comparison here to something far less severe/drastic/tragic, but a perfect analogy. I tell my basketball teams every season, DON'T put the referee in a position where he has to make a call at a critical time. Because if you do, he might make the wrong call. For instance, don't run your mouth or look cross at the ref (might get a technical), don't leave your feet and go up and try to block a shot...even if you don't foul the ref might THINK you fouled. Point being is...the victim here stated his car and began to drive off in the middle of a traffic stop, after being told to step out of the car. That was a HUGE mistake. He put the officer in a situation where he had to act in some form or fashion. Is there anyone here who doesn't believe, had Mr. Dubose just stepped out of his car and complied with the directions of the officer, this would just be arrest #76 and none of this would have ever happened? I'm not victim blaming here, though it may seem like it, but you have to admit some of his actions helped propel this situation to it's ultimate outcome. Cop was put in split second situation and he made a choice that he probably now wishes he didn't make. A man is dead and his life is changed forever, sad all around. I have said this several times on other threads...just another reason why being a police officer is so hard and I don't envy any of them that find themselves in this or a similar situation. Before I join this discussion, I want to make it clear that I completely agree with your last sentence. I'm thankful I'm not in the situation where I have to make split second decisions with potential dire consequences and support the vast majority that do an admiral job. With that said, I would like to play around with some analogies too. In the heat of the game when one of your players puts the team in a situation where the ref has to act, and you believe it was a charge or a clean block, do you ever complain to the refs or stick up for your players? If a play happens near your bench but the ref makes a call from the other side of the court is your instant thought that the ref is wrong or that your player shouldn't have went for the steal? When I was much younger my parents found out I was drinking and told me the consequences if I did it again. I got caught again and they held up their end of the bargain. If I would have been beaten and sent to boarding school rather than grounded I think I would have had a reason to be ticked off even though I voluntarily put myself in the position. I get it, I absolutely believe you and agree that the cop was out of line, but life's hard and it's not black and white. I'm not sure what was going through Officer Tensing's mind in that split second, but his decision is completely on him.
July 30, 201511 yr My argument is that there are probably thousands of stops where people don't produce a license where the officer doesn't get agitated and doesn't shoot someone in the head... He didn't shoot him because he didn't have his license. I'm not saying he was right, and I have to be clear about that because I don't want anyone getting confused, but it looked to me like things escalated when the driver started the car back, pulled his door back shut after the officer tried to open it and put the car in drive...
July 30, 201511 yr @theguru - address the police policies/practices of handling a person who flees in a car when they were pulled over for a traffic stop. My guess is with thousands of police departments in the US, you will have thousands of different policies.
July 30, 201511 yr My guess is with thousands of police departments in the US, you will have thousands of different policies. What is the most common policy?
July 30, 201511 yr My guess is with thousands of police departments in the US, you will have thousands of different policies. Any of them include execution???
July 30, 201511 yr Spin' date=' spin, spin....It would be funny if it weren't so sad.[/quote'] People defend the side clearly in the wrong all the time and nothing week change that. This isn't anything new. There are still people in this world who believe Michael Brown was executed by police for no reason.
July 30, 201511 yr He didn't shoot him because he didn't have his license. I'm not saying he was right, and I have to be clear about that because I don't want anyone getting confused, but it looked to me like things escalated when the driver started the car back, pulled his door back shut after the officer tried to open it and put the car in drive... But does the bolded justify shooting a man in the head?
July 30, 201511 yr A few thoughts: 1. In no way can we say this officer is the same as a cold-blooded murderer. Not even close. 2. As a dad, it broke my heart watching this officer's dad walking into the police station to turn himself in yesterday. I can't imagine that walk. 3. The trial is going to be interesting and an interesting study on society and its view of police work.
July 30, 201511 yr Before I join this discussion, I want to make it clear that I completely agree with your last sentence. I'm thankful I'm not in the situation where I have to make split second decisions with potential dire consequences and support the vast majority that do an admiral job. With that said, I would like to play around with some analogies too. In the heat of the game when one of your players puts the team in a situation where the ref has to act, and you believe it was a charge or a clean block, do you ever complain to the refs or stick up for your players? If a play happens near your bench but the ref makes a call from the other side of the court is your instant thought that the ref is wrong or that your player shouldn't have went for the steal? When I was much younger my parents found out I was drinking and told me the consequences if I did it again. I got caught again and they held up their end of the bargain. If I would have been beaten and sent to boarding school rather than grounded I think I would have had a reason to be ticked off even though I voluntarily put myself in the position. I get it, I absolutely believe you and agree that the cop was out of line, but life's hard and it's not black and white. I'm not sure what was going through Officer Tensing's mind in that split second, but his decision is completely on him. As to my basketball analogy it's more about a CRITICAL situation. Up one, few seconds left other team in double bonus, my player tries to steal the ball...no foul but ref THINKS there is a foul. Bad decision by the player, bad call by the ref. Yes I get on my player for making a bad choice and putting the ref in the position to possibly have to make a call. Yes I have a discussion with the ref that no foul was committed. The traffic stop was a critical situation. Mr. Dubose made a bad choice. Prompted the cop to make a split second bad decision.
July 30, 201511 yr Any of them include execution??? Probably several that say execute all minorities as quickly as possible.
July 30, 201511 yr But does the bolded justify shooting a man in the head? I answered that question in the post you quoted. Did you read it?
July 30, 201511 yr What is the most common policy? No clue. I've read about some departments that have basically banned all pursuits, unless someone was murdered, is in danger etc.
July 30, 201511 yr I answered that question in the post you quoted. Did you read it? I did. You said "not saying he was right". Doesn't really say he was wrong as you went on to say how it got that point in your mind. No matter the reason it escalated, discharging a firearm into a guy's head in that situation was the worst way to handle it.
July 30, 201511 yr I did. You said "not saying he was right". Doesn't really say he was wrong as you went on to say how it got that point in your mind. No matter the reason it escalated, discharging a firearm into a guy's head in that situation was the worst way to handle it. If he wasn't right, what's that make him? I tried to be very clear that I was not defending him. Based on the video, he most certainly was wrong to shoot him when he did.
July 30, 201511 yr If he wasn't right, what's that make him? I tried to be very clear that I was not defending him. Based on the video, he most certainly was wrong to shoot him when he did. Fair enough. I was misunderstanding your post. My apologies.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.