Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fountain Square erupts in chaos last night

Featured Replies

Use to be downtown, Government Square and above 7th street all the time. OTR not so much in several years. Actually Fountain Square and bus exchange is probably the biggest nuisance in the city...with the exception of the Liberty Street area. For reference, it matters not if it's day or night.

 

The OTR exception, I believe, is because of the commercial traffic around the businesses there. It's the non-business areas where the loitering and trash is happening.

 

I agree with someone who said earlier that this area is a powder keg waiting to explode. The more OTR is built up, the riff raff has to go somewhere. Add to the fact that many in that area see the well to do taking their space. It will happen, just a matter of when IMO.

  • Replies 163
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typically I like to stay south of 2nd street. I used to be comfortable with OTR. I got too comfortable and parked a block over with a couple buddies to walk to Neons. We got jumped and had guns in our face. It took me awhile but I've been back since, though I usually cab/uber it right to the door. I've parked in the garage while it's still light but still was on edge.

I'm down in OTR on almost a weekly basis, and usually after dark, and I've never once felt unsafe. How frequently do those of you who think it's so horrible actually go down that way?

I'm there at least once a month. Mostly after dark. I'm not comfortable and have carried there before. My visits will be decreasing.

Too many other safer options!

I'm there at least once a month. Mostly after dark. I'm not comfortable and have carried there before. My visits will be decreasing.

Too many other safer options!

 

Keep that green in KY my friend...

It is the state of society today. Many things have changed since 2001 would you not agree? Do you think that kids in that generation disrespected authority like they do today?

 

Do you agree with that?

 

Yes I do believe that kids in that generation disrespected authority like they do today...The kids of the 2001 riots were pretty darn disrespectful. Not sure you can determine such a measurable difference between now and then with their behavior. They certainly weren't angels compared to today's kids.

 

I recall many businesses downtown being looted with storefronts busted up pretty good. People being pulled out of their vehicles and being beat up for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That spells horrific anyway you look at it. Police in riot gear was more than needed, where officers took their lives in their own hands trying to restore the peace.

 

The economy of Cincinnati suffered tremendously long afterwards because of the impending threat that that generation of kids placed upon everyday citizens and their confidence about returning downtown.

 

So the 4th of July incident is worthy of a broad statement of cause, yet by comparison the circumstances of the 2001 incident is worthy of discernible dissection and rational reasoning? It's sounds highly unlikely that one incident could have such generalities sum it up, while the other more dissectible terms.

 

On one hand you're capable of seeing various contributors of circumstance, while with the other you can quickly arrive at cause.

 

Is this not an example of one's selective vision and determination possibly based on their slant of political views and position?

 

Nah...it couldn't be that... people don't do that, do they?

With that same logic, then the Cincinnati Riots of 2001 all started in that big white house with the guy who was then the resident?

 

Considering your comment, I suppose you agree with that?

 

No no that was all festering for years under the previous president...

I'm in the OTR area roughly one or two times a month, occasionally after dark. I have felt unsafe in the area, especially during warm weather months. Seems like some of those stop lights stay red forever sometimes.

 

FWIW a local anchor was a theft victim while dining in OTR over the weekend. My visits downtown will likely stay much closer to the river the rest of the summer.

 

I went through the OTR one Saturday night on a friends birthday last fall. We had 4 police officers with us(from ky) and I don't think anyone felt comfortable. But everyone paid attention to their surroundings.

 

Cinci is a place a lot of folks go to "have a good time" but you have to always be mindful of where you're having fun at, what your surroundings are like.

Several years ago 2 adult family members and friends went to ice skate at Fountain Square on a Saturday evening. Teenagers wanted to cut the line and starting making threats. Not one officer was in the area. There were more police officers at US Bank Arena for a country concert directly above our seats.

No no that was all festering for years under the previous president...

 

I share in the amusement of your sarcasm, if in fact sarcasm was your intent here.

 

Jack of all Trades would however likely agree with you in the literal sense.

For us old people, is OTR Over the Rhine?

For us old people' date=' is OTR Over the Rhine?[/quote']

 

Yes

Yes

 

My only experiences with OTR were in the 90's when I worked in Florence. Would go down there quite a bit with friends, always had fun at the clubs. Always remember how strange it was to see Arby's with bars on the windows and doors and police guarding the restaurants. I believe there was a Perkins close that we would eat in at 3 or 4 in the morning, lots of different types of people and goings on there. We would just sit back and take it all in and laugh. Different times, different country.

So one of the officers put in their report that it was basically a racial beating (black guys going after a white guy)...then the police recanted and said they cannot be sure...really??? If this was the other way around, I think they would have been sure immediately...

 

On another note, the success of OTR is hurting Mt. Adams. I was talking to a restaurant owner a couple of weeks ago in Mt. Adams and he told me that it sounds terrible to say but once there are a few more shootings in OTR, people will start to afraid to go there and it might help Mt. Adams to rebound...not sure I agree but found his perspective interesting.

I share in the amusement of your sarcasm, if in fact sarcasm was your intent here.

 

Jack of all Trades would however likely agree with you in the literal sense.

 

While I'm a Republican and apparently not as conservative as I used to be I feel the white house plays little part on any sociology economic psychology. With that said.

 

It seems things have been upped a bit lately regarding race issues. I don't really think it's because of the white house but I can't say it's not.

So one of the officers put in their report that it was basically a racial beating (black guys going after a white guy)...then the police recanted and said they cannot be sure...really??? If this was the other way around, I think they would have been sure immediately...

 

On another note, the success of OTR is hurting Mt. Adams. I was talking to a restaurant owner a couple of weeks ago in Mt. Adams and he told me that it sounds terrible to say but once there are a few more shootings in OTR, people will start to afraid to go there and it might help Mt. Adams to rebound...not sure I agree but found his perspective interesting.

I think the dept. and city officials are trying to downplay it as much as possible. I also think they are wrong in doing so. I get tired of Black on white crimes getting swept under the carpet all the time simply because it isn't Politically correct.

 

Let the truth be out there. Whenever the liberal media has a chance to twist and skew the truth to make an incident look like a racist issue when it is a white man/police vs black man they run with it. Well this is something even more serious than twisting facts like the media has done over the last several years and they are choosing to hide it.

 

I hope they catch the culprits and charge them with hate crimes and lock them up for a long long time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.