Cisco violated Russian sanctions?

After Western sanctions began shutting down sales of high-tech internet equipment to Russia’s military and security forces, employees at technology giant Cisco Systems Inc. altered sales records and booked deals under a false customer name, according to internal company documents. The intent, according to a confidential source with deep knowledge of Cisco’s Moscow operations, was to dodge the sanctions by masking the true customers behind more innocuous-sounding straw buyers.

Cisco is an American company with a value of over $151 billion.

IMO, if a company does this, the government should be able to go in and shut the entire company down, and those responsible arrested.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/after-sanctions-cisco-altered-sales-records-in-russia

As long as it's not me lol.

But seriously. They should not get away with it. All involved should be charged, jailed or whatever. Apply heavy sanctions on Cisco. It's not like they sold a bunch of wide screens TVs to them, selling this stuff to their military and their security service that was formerly the KGB is not a good thing at all.

I agree, if true...shut them down and someone or many someones go to prison.

#1 provider in internet infrastructure production. Not going to shut them down. Juniper can not make up all that slack.

Russia is on the ban list? Odd since their troops have been regularly training inside the US.

#1 provider in internet infrastructure production. Not going to shut them down. Juniper can not make up all that slack.

Russia is on the ban list? Odd since their troops have been regularly training inside the US.

Maybe not shut them down, but if someone is selling tech to Russia they aren't supposed to have and knowingly did it in a way to hide it then several people need to go to prison.

Training alongside each other doesn't mean they are going give us their tech and we aren't going to give them all of ours.

Maybe not shut them down, but if someone is selling tech to Russia they aren't supposed to have and knowingly did it in a way to hide it then several people need to go to prison.

Training alongside each other doesn't mean they are going give us their tech and we aren't going to give them all of ours.

I think when my Kaspersky AV licenses expire I will switch the US product - Symantec. Dang Ruskies probably have back doors into that popular product.

Its not hard to violate high tech rules and companies need to be on their toes. But if they went out of the way to set up shadow companies to route sensitive technology that will likely generate an action by justice.

Violations of sanctions carries both civil and criminal penalties. A few years ago, a similar situation occurred at Clark Material Handling in Lexington regarding the sanctions to Iran. People went to jail.

We sell products to Russia, and we had to go to great lengths this past year to investigate the prohibited products/applications lists to assure we would not violate the sanctions. I would rather lose a sale than lose my freedom.