May 6, 201511 yr I don't like that it goes from no punishment straight to expulsion. If a kid fails more than one drug test they might have a substance abuse problem, especially if he/she knows they are going to be tested and still continued with the drug. I hope they have a plan in place to deal with kids who may have a problem and try to help them instead of just kicking them out of school. Read the program. There is a link in an earlier post. It does just what you are calling for.
May 6, 201511 yr I'm late to this party is this due to events that happened in the last 24 months, or was it already on the table a long time ago?
May 6, 201511 yr I read this wrong initially. I thought it was drug test athletes which I totally agree with 100% because they sign up for the extra curricular so I don't see an issue. Any student is a slippery slope. I am all about trying to combat the drug issues in this state as they have jumped out of control but also the way this is presented and carried out intrigues me. With it being a private school then obviously this is no issue here but I wonder how this would fly if it was presented to all public schools? Does anyone think this would be an issue with an individual's rights?
May 6, 201511 yr I'm late to this party is this due to events that happened in the last 24 months, or was it already on the table a long time ago? My understanding is that it had been under discussion for about five years. There was a lot of study, visits to schools with programs in place, surveys of parents and students etc. In other words, a lot of due diligence. No particular incident, just a general feeling that with all of the pressure on kids today to do the wrong things, anything the school can do to help them do the right things should be done. After reading the letters from the school, the FAQs and the written policy, I think it is an excellent program and should serve as a model for other schools.
May 6, 201511 yr Video | Trinity HS President Rob Mullen speaks about drug testing I think that this video from the Courier Journal website gives a good explanation.
May 6, 201511 yr Trinity is a private school so if they want to do this it is what it is. However how would a public school get away with this? How is this not a 4th amendment issue? How is this any different then police randomly pulling people over and searching their cars for drugs? I mean drugs are illegal right?
May 6, 201511 yr From one of the links in this thread: The first time a student tests positive, he and his parents will be required to meet with school officials, and submit to followup testing every 100 days. A second violation will result in the student losing the right to participate in extracurricular activities, and/or expulsion. If a student tests positive three times, he will be expelled unless he is in a treatment program and in very good standing with the school. ======================= This program definitely appears to have helping students as its number one priority. Think about it, no punishment for a first offense and even a third offense can be overcome if you are doing everything else right. ======================= I also watched the video on the CJ site, I think Dr. Mullen is exactly right on two very important points: 1. The longer a teenager delays using addictive substances the better chance he will have not being addicted as an adult. 2. This is a very effective tool that individuals can use to counter peer pressure. ======================= Considering Trinity is a private school and you have to choose to go there I see absolutely no issue with the drug testing. Finally, whether you agree with the testing or not, it will make Trinity stronger.
May 6, 201511 yr Sorry McPapa, but THS is not an agent of the state. As a private school it has much more ability to act in the best interests of students. I would argue that as a Catholic school it has a duty to act in the best interests of the educational, physical and moral development of the students. This program will benefit all three. Edited May 6, 201511 yr by Trinity alum
May 6, 201511 yr From one of the links in this thread: The first time a student tests positive, he and his parents will be required to meet with school officials, and submit to followup testing every 100 days. A second violation will result in the student losing the right to participate in extracurricular activities, and/or expulsion. If a student tests positive three times, he will be expelled unless he is in a treatment program and in very good standing with the school. ======================= This program definitely appears to have helping students as its number one priority. Think about it, no punishment for a first offense and even a third offense can be overcome if you are doing everything else right. ======================= I also watched the video on the CJ site, I think Dr. Mullen is exactly right on two very important points: 1. The longer a teenager delays using addictive substances the better chance he will have not being addicted as an adult. 2. This is a very effective tool that individuals can use to counter peer pressure. ======================= Considering Trinity is a private school and you have to choose to go there I see absolutely no issue with the drug testing. Finally, whether you agree with the testing or not, it will make Trinity stronger. Thanks Guru. I've tried to read everything I could find about the program. It looks to me like it is exactly what I expect from Trinity. Students first. Well thought out. Well done. Trinity doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem. Kids don't come to school loaded. They don't show up at school functions loaded. Based on that it would be easy for the school to ignore the problem and leave the parents on their own. That would ignore the fact that some Trinity students, just like students at every other school in America, have a problem. This is one more tool to help the student and his family address it while it can still be handled. I know a young man in his mid twenties. He didn't go to Trinity, but that is irrelevant. He is an alcoholic. He cannot hold a job. His Dad tells me he started drinking in high school and that his parents tried everything they could think of. Would earlier identification of the problem have made a difference? We'll never know, but I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt.
May 6, 201511 yr MCPAPA---- I think the world of your opinions (and probably you if I knew you) but I think you're wrong on this one......on a few levels, one of which is "private vs. state action." Edited May 6, 201511 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue Fixing Quote
May 7, 201511 yr I've listened to and read all sorts of opinions on this. I've thought about what I would feel of my son were still at Trininty. In the end: This is 5 years in the making. It's well researched and thought out and gair, in my opinion. We're I a parent worried about intrusion, I would choose another otion for my child's education. I'm sure others will try to capitalize. As mother who had to help 2 of her children who lost friends in high school to drunk driving accidents, and one child through a dangerous path themself as a result of the devastation such events can have on those who love them, I can only be thankful that steps are being taken to identify issues earlier. Drug abuse is often a hidden condition. As is alcohol abuse. To know that an entire community is working together to effect change is really a model. I hope that more schools choose a path like this. At the risk of sharing too much, I had no idea my daughter had an issue until it was bad. There were no overt signs. Good grades, responsible, held a job....testing like this could have prevented a devastating situatuation. Thankfully all that is behind her now. But it took herculean effort on all involved, and a lot of counseling to overcome. I wish it could have happened when she was 15 or 16 instead of 18-19. In the end, if the parents choose to send their kids to a school who tests, it is their choice. It's publicly known, and I don't know how anyone can call it intrusion given that fact. Kids don't have a right to privacy. And parents have the right to decide the best course for their kids. Athletes have been tested forever. I see only equity in including the entire student body. As mentioned before, everyone within the community represents the institution. And eventually staff and Board members will also be included.
May 7, 201511 yr Sorry McPapa, but THS is not an agent of the state. As a private school it has much more ability to act in the best interests of students. I would argue that as a Catholic school it has a duty to act in the best interests of the educational, physical and moral development of the students. This program will benefit all three. Not referring to THS in this instance, but to the apparent movement in public schools.
May 7, 201511 yr Same here. Every school will issue discipline on a case by case basis. I don't care what school it is. It's human nature. I also always question how "random" testing is. I wonder about that too. My son was, I think, the first student to be drug tested at his school when the policy went in to place. He then was "Randomly" selected more than just about anyone on his team over his four years in school. Why? I think because they were pretty sure they would always get a clean test from him. Some kids were rarely picked and they also happened to be kids with reputations that would lead you to believe they may not be able to pass a drug test. I'm not sure how often they tested but it was at least once a semester and may have been 4 times a year. I think anyone involved in extra curricular activities or drove to school were subject to be randomly tested.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.