Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity High School to Alcohol/Drug Test Students

Featured Replies

I wonder how folks would react to this in a public school? Would they be supportive, or claim government intrusion into private family matters?

  • Replies 138
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some schools do testing for any extra-activity students. I believe Bullitt, Oldham, Nelson Co, and WV all have some form of testing.

Add Newport to the list.

I think there is a difference from searching lockers, including using dogs and performing a drug test. School property is one thing, but a medical test is another. Certainly if a school suspects a student is using, they have an obligation to inform the parents, but I don't think a school should have the right to test students, no matter how well meaning.

I tend be here right now. Will have to give it more thought.

For the ones that don't like this, Why?

Drugs are illegal so if they are doing them they should be punished.

For the ones that don't like this, Why?

Drugs are illegal so if they are doing them they should be punished.

 

A couple of reasons.

 

For me, kids are stupid and do stupid things. I'd hate to see a kid kicked out of school for two different incidents that possibly didn't happen on school property. If it happens on school property then do what you have to do. If it happens away from school property and not during school hours then let me, the parent, do what I have to do to fix it. There are all kinds of things I can and would do. Removing my kid from school isn't one of them.

 

They start testing next year, right? What happens when no football or basketball players are tested during their season and then half the baseball team has random tests the first Monday after Spring Break?

 

What happens when a superstar has taken his third random and everyone knows he partakes weekly and the valedictorian is expelled because he hangs with the superstar?

 

Big can of worms IMO. I like random searches and dogs in the school. I don't like the drug testing. Why just drug/alcohol testing? What if a kid has a lead foot and gets more than two tickets for speeding? Speeding can be as bad as doing drugs and you can potentially put more people at risk. Where does the line stop?

^^^

 

I agree with some of your reasoning. They do get 1 free pass. So after that then they know to stop or they will be done. It's pretty simple. Doesn't matter if they are the star player or a bench player. Their talent should not dictate their punishment if it is laid out for them. Like I said drugs are illegal I have no problem with them getting punished.

As a parent, I have no problem with this. If my kid was doing drugs, I would like to know. As someone pointed out, it is designed as a deterrent and not punishment. First offense, nothing happens. We have the drug talk frequently and I don't believe my kids use drugs, but I'm not nieve either.

I won't lie... this is part of what makes me worry.

 

I only attended a Catholic school for three years, but I quickly learned that there are two or three kinds of students to administration: those whose parents/families donate a lot, those whose parents/families donate some, and those whose parents/families don't donate anything.

Some schools do testing for any extra-activity students. I believe Bullitt, Oldham, Nelson Co, and WV all have some form of testing.

 

Clay County as well.

As a parent, I have no problem with this. If my kid was doing drugs, I would like to know. As someone pointed out, it is designed as a deterrent and not punishment. First offense, nothing happens. We have the drug talk frequently and I don't believe my kids use drugs, but I'm not nieve either.

 

I was not naive either when I raised my kids. Drug testing a child should be up to the parents. I don't think it is the right or the responsibility of the school to police this.

I was not naive either when I raised my kids. Drug testing a child should be up to the parents. I don't think it is the right or the responsibility of the school to police this.

 

Agreed.

Still don't think it is right. As well intentioned as it is, I think any school that does this is over reaching.

 

I will respectfully disagree.

 

With the rampant use of drugs in schools these days, this is a step in the right direction to help these kids.

Who are some of them?

 

Mercer County

Mercer County

 

Wow. Really? When did they start? Are they doing urine tests instead of hair tests? Hair tests are the way to go if drug testing is going to be done. Urine tests are easily manipulated.

I guess one (of more than one) reason I have a hard time getting on board with this is that it isn't a deterrent.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.