Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity High School to Alcohol/Drug Test Students

Featured Replies

Wow. Really? When did they start? Are they doing urine tests instead of hair tests? Hair tests are the way to go if drug testing is going to be done. Urine tests are easily manipulated.

 

They had a public forum a couple of months ago. Overwhelming community support. I think they are starting next school year. Badly needed.

 

Hair tests are OK for seeing what you have used from 30-90 days ago. Urine screens are needed for recent use. Also, you need urine screens for synthetic marijuana.

 

I don't know how they will treat abnormal or diluted screens. The courts normally have the person retest and then get a hair screen.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that love big government intrusion (and make no mistake, that's where the money is coming from, at least for the public schools), this one is right up your alley.

For those that love big government intrusion (and make no mistake, that's where the money is coming from, at least for the public schools), this one is right up your alley.

 

I'm all for helping kids change their lives before they wind up in the "system" for the rest of their lives.

I'm all for helping kids change their lives before they wind up in the "system" for the rest of their lives.

 

Me too.

 

As far as actually helping, this initiative ain't it.

Me too.

 

As far as actually helping, this initiative ain't it.

I'd be interested in hearing why you think this initiative won't help. I can understand objections based on privacy or overreach, but to say that it won't help needs some reasons why. I have read all of the information on the program. The emphasis is on helping kids, not punishment. It is in addition to robust education efforts.

No issues with this program at a private school. It was optional at my kids school and we signed them up.

It gave them a bit of an out if they were ever put into a situation of 'peer pressure'.

They had a public forum a couple of months ago. Overwhelming community support. I think they are starting next school year. Badly needed.

 

Hair tests are OK for seeing what you have used from 30-90 days ago. Urine screens are needed for recent use. Also, you need urine screens for synthetic marijuana.

 

I don't know how they will treat abnormal or diluted screens. The courts normally have the person retest and then get a hair screen.

 

Okay. Cool. Makes more sense now. I'll be keeping my ears open at work. Do you know if they'll be testing for alcohol also?

 

I've always been a fan of the hair tests over the urine tests but the hair tests are more expensive than the urine tests.

I was part of an information gathering team at Campbell County before their drug testing policy was instituted. At the time, the law only allowed drug testing for extra curricular activities. Sports, daily drivers, clubs, ect..... That is still the policy at Campbell County. I don't really have a problem with it.

I find some of the arguments intriguing. At the risk of taking this thing on a wild ride tangent I'll ask this. For those that say it's a parent's responsibility how do you feel about programs that provide birth control options for students, many in schools?

I guess my main issue is more about the punishment than anything else. Regardless of the school there is going to be a time when the punishment is properly doled out. Could just be the union-guy in me that has a 3 strikes and you're out approach to everything.

I find some of the arguments intriguing. At the risk of taking this thing on a wild ride tangent I'll ask this. For those that say it's a parent's responsibility how do you feel about programs that provide birth control options for students, many in schools?

 

Doesn't bother me. It's much needed. At the same time my kid won't get expelled for getting pregnant or for getting someone pregnant. My issue is with my kid getting kicked out of school for two separate incidents that didn't happen under the school's jurisdiction. Now, these random drug tests wouldn't stop me from sending my kid to Trinity or any school that randomly drug tests. It's just not something being done that I fully am on board with and that has more to do with the punishment than anything else.

I have zero issues with athletes or anyone participating in extra curricular activities being randomly tested for drugs and alcohol. As long as the punishment being doled out is fair and equal.

Doesn't bother me. It's much needed. At the same time my kid won't get expelled for getting pregnant or for getting someone pregnant. My issue is with my kid getting kicked out of school for two separate incidents that didn't happen under the school's jurisdiction. Now, these random drug tests wouldn't stop me from sending my kid to Trinity or any school that randomly drug tests. It's just not something being done that I fully am on board with and that has more to do with the punishment than anything else.

 

The bolded statement isn't completely true. There are private schools where students can be and are removed for pregnancy.

 

One thing that you and everyone else need to understand is that every year students at Trinity as well as their parents sign code of conduct statements that clearly state that they represent Trinity 24/7 and can face disciplinary action for actions they take outside of school. If you don't want to abide by that then you don't sign it and you go to anther school.

I have zero issues with athletes or anyone participating in extra curricular activities being randomly tested for drugs and alcohol. As long as the punishment being doled out is fair and equal.

 

Why are these students different the students in general?

With a kid getting ready to go there, I am THRILLED. Gives kids ammunition against peer pressure. And if there's a student that fails multiple tests then I don't want my son sitting next to him in class.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.