May 7, 201511 yr I wonder about that too. My son was, I think, the first student to be drug tested at his school when the policy went in to place. He then was "Randomly" selected more than just about anyone on his team over his four years in school. Why? I think because they were pretty sure they would always get a clean test from him. Some kids were rarely picked and they also happened to be kids with reputations that would lead you to believe they may not be able to pass a drug test. I'm not sure how often they tested but it was at least once a semester and may have been 4 times a year. I think anyone involved in extra curricular activities or drove to school were subject to be randomly tested. Agreed. The cross country team at my high school were all pretty nerdy and we were "randomly" tested at a pretty high clip. It was always kind of an inside joke with us as to why. I think that a school like Clay County, which is already hurting for money, could better use their resources elsewhere, but someone would have to be pretty galvanized politically to be the one who spoke out about it because all the Bible-thumpers (or opportunistic opponents) would have a field day with it. At the end of the day, I don't think its a big secret that you can easily beat a urine test anyway.
May 8, 201511 yr Hats off to Trinity for taking on this issue!!!! Not sure how it will pan out, however I do think that it is a good thing! Kinda surprised that THS thought that they really needed this??? I saw on the news yesterday the list of drugs they are testing for, steroids is NOT on the list! Very interesting . . . I hope that it is equally inforced as described. Based on past performance, I think THS has to prove themselves that this is the case and has higher priority than participating in a state championship game. Hope this works out and does not creat a ongoing controversy for THS. The Administration is addressing what they feel is a issue, I think they have made the right steps... now for the implementation!!! Passive-aggressive post.
May 8, 201511 yr Without getting into a long explanation, because with one you have a choice, the other you don't. People have a choice not to drive? I don't like the idea of testing kids just because they go school. For sports I get it because playing sports isn't a right. With Trinity it is a private school so they can do what they want. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I see no way how it could be legal at a public school to randomly test all students.
May 8, 201511 yr There is some evidence that points to this helping swimmers. I would not assume that at all. More than just "some." It's a straight-up fact that no hair on the body decreases drag friction when in the pool. So are all Trinity swimmers exempt? Or will the Trinity swim team see record numbers in the fall?
May 8, 201511 yr Hats off to Trinity for taking on this issue!!!! Not sure how it will pan out, however I do think that it is a good thing! Kinda surprised that THS thought that they really needed this??? I saw on the news yesterday the list of drugs they are testing for, steroids is NOT on the list! Very interesting . . . I hope that it is equally inforced as described. Hope this Based on past performance, I think THS has to prove themselves that this is the case and has higher priority than participating in a state championship game.works out and does not creat a ongoing controversy for THS. The Administration is addressing what they feel is a issue, I think they have made the right steps... now for the implementation!!! And now we hear from the X factor. Stating this as gently as I can, you don't know your rump from a hot rock. I have ZERO concern about fair implementation. If we were concerned about maintaining participation, we might have a policy that says we will ignore teenage drug and alcohol use unless they do it at school and rub our noses in it, then we'll get rid of them and pretend they were never here.
May 8, 201511 yr This boils down to where the leadership of a school wants to have its nose: in the air? or to the grindstone? I cannot applaud T loudly enough for this.
May 8, 201511 yr More than just "some." It's a straight-up fact that no hair on the body decreases drag friction when in the pool. So are all Trinity swimmers exempt? Or will the Trinity swim team see record numbers in the fall? My guess would be neither.
May 8, 201511 yr I guess I just keep going back to the fact that if parents support this that much why aren't they just drug testing their kids on their own? Why does the school need to do it?
May 8, 201511 yr I guess I just keep going back to the fact that if parents support this that much why aren't they just drug testing their kids on their own? Why does the school need to do it? A fair question. When the school decides to test everyone, it isn't a reflection on any individual student. It acknowledges that there may be a few students with a problem. A parent deciding to test one kid (theirs) says that they suspect an individual problem. I think that is a big difference. The school is better positioned to do widespread testing.
May 8, 201511 yr I guess I just keep going back to the fact that if parents support this that much why aren't they just drug testing their kids on their own? Why does the school need to do it? We have become more and more reliant on schools to do our parenting for us.
May 8, 201511 yr A fair question. When the school decides to test everyone, it isn't a reflection on any individual student. It acknowledges that there may be a few students with a problem. A parent deciding to test one kid (theirs) says that they suspect an individual problem. I think that is a big difference. The school is better positioned to do widespread testing. This times a million.
May 8, 201511 yr We have become more and more reliant on schools to do our parenting for us. I don't think that it is asking schools to do the parenting, but it is asking the school to partner with the parents. I always felt that the primary job of educating our kids fell to my wife and I. That didn't stop us from sending them to calculus class.
May 8, 201511 yr I guess I just keep going back to the fact that if parents support this that much why aren't they just drug testing their kids on their own? Why does the school need to do it? I also think a lot of it has to do with the peer pressure of high school. If a kid can use the crutch I may get tested next week and lose out on my extracurricular activity, they may pass. I believe this would help the students on the fence on whether to try it for the first time or not. I don't think this will stop anyone with a serious drug problem.
May 8, 201511 yr I also think a lot of it has to do with the peer pressure of high school. If a kid can use the crutch I may get tested next week and lose out on my extracurricular activity, they may pass. I believe this would help the students on the fence on whether to try it for the first time or not. I don't think this will stop anyone with a serious drug problem. But it could be a huge assist to parents and educators in identifying those with drug problems. Drug users and alcohol abusers aren't as easily identified as many believe. People can be high-functioning and still using and abusing. This could definitely assist in getting these kids help, and identifying other kids who aren't even at the "serious" stage yet, but alter their course and save that heartache.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.