May 6, 201511 yr It is considered a deterrent, some may argue it isn't, but it is something. It may not even be a good deterrent, but something is better than nothing. Campbell County's take on it was, and I assume still is, if you can save one child, it's worth it. It's been in place for 7-8 years here I believe. I've never heard of the school abusing it, and VERY FEW positive tests during that time period. I've been out of school for 40 years. There were several kids that smoked a joint before school when I was in school, and a few that did hard drugs before school. I have trouble believing that it still doesn't happen. (I didn't go to Campbell County) So my take, anything that may a deterrent, I'm good with it.....
May 6, 201511 yr The bolded statement isn't completely true. There are private schools where students can be and are removed for pregnancy. One thing that you and everyone else need to understand is that every year students at Trinity as well as their parents sign code of conduct statements that clearly state that they represent Trinity 24/7 and can face disciplinary action for actions they take outside of school. If you don't want to abide by that then you don't sign it and you go to anther school. I was just answering your question based on the info in the question. Do private schools offer birth control programs?
May 6, 201511 yr Why are these students different the students in general? I don't know why...... I do know that it's against the law, or it was, to random test all students in public school in Kentucky. Only extra curricular activity students can tested.
May 6, 201511 yr Why are these students different the students in general? Their representation of the school is out there a lot more than a student who doesn't participate in anything extra curricular. Especially if they play basketball or football. We all know and discuss a ton of stories here on BGP and within 15 minutes of the thread popping up most of us are savvy enough to get the story and discuss it without breaking the rules of BGP. At the same time the school is always painted in a bad light based on how they handled the situation. IMO, drug testing the ones who participate in extra curricular activities is a good idea as long as the punishments are handed out equally and fairly.
May 6, 201511 yr The bolded statement isn't completely true. There are private schools where students can be and are removed for pregnancy. One thing that you and everyone else need to understand is that every year students at Trinity as well as their parents sign code of conduct statements that clearly state that they represent Trinity 24/7 and can face disciplinary action for actions they take outside of school. If you don't want to abide by that then you don't sign it and you go to anther school. As I stated earlier I would still send my kid to Trinity without issues. It doesn't mean I have to like or agree to everything they do. Drug testing my kids isn't a deal breaker for me. Unfairly administering the punishments is.
May 6, 201511 yr I was just answering your question based on the info in the question. Do private schools offer birth control programs? I'm sure some do. My answer was aimed at the people that said it was a parents responsibility to make sure their kid wasn't using drugs. I would be willing to bet that many of those same people would have no issues with BC at schools.
May 6, 201511 yr Their representation of the school is out there a lot more than a student who doesn't participate in anything extra curricular. Especially if they play basketball or football. We all know and discuss a ton of stories here on BGP and within 15 minutes of the thread popping up most of us are savvy enough to get the story and discuss it without breaking the rules of BGP. At the same time the school is always painted in a bad light based on how they handled the situation. IMO, drug testing the ones who participate in extra curricular activities is a good idea as long as the punishments are handed out equally and fairly. To me, the weakest argument in favor of testing is the idea that the students "represent the school". We all take pleasure when one of ours does something great. We are all embarrassed when one of ours screws up. This program has to be focused on taking care of our kids and doing everything possible to help them as they mature. It would be easier to just pretend that our kids never screw up and get rid of the ones that do, but if Trinity is serious about the idea of the "Trinity family", then working to help them get it right is the only reasonable course of action.
May 6, 201511 yr I'm sure some do. My answer was aimed at the people that said it was a parents responsibility to make sure their kid wasn't using drugs. I would be willing to bet that many of those same people would have no issues with BC at schools. I'm in favor of birth control programs as well as well as comprehensive drug prevention programs. Random drug testing doesn't bother me if equality and fairness can be promised for failed tests.
May 6, 201511 yr To me, the weakest argument in favor of testing is the idea that the students "represent the school". We all take pleasure when one of ours does something great. We are all embarrassed when one of ours screws up. This program has to be focused on taking care of our kids and doing everything possible to help them as they mature. It would be easier to just pretend that our kids never screw up and get rid of the ones that do, but if Trinity is serious about the idea of the "Trinity family", then working to help them get it right is the only reasonable course of action. So how is kicking them out of school working to help them get right? That seems extreme to me.
May 6, 201511 yr So what do the public schools do if they have a positive tests? I dont see a problem in testing, but do not support testing of only groups of students.
May 6, 201511 yr As a parent, I have no problem with this. If my kid was doing drugs, I would like to know. As someone pointed out, it is designed as a deterrent and not punishment. First offense, nothing happens. We have the drug talk frequently and I don't believe my kids use drugs, but I'm not nieve either. Then why don't you drug test your kids?
May 6, 201511 yr So how is kicking them out of school working to help them get right? That seems extreme to me. If you look at the program, the goal is to NOT kick them out of school. Expulsion is a last resort for kids that won't work on the problem. I was reassured by the quote from the school in Kansas City and just lost their first student to the program. The full program and some information sheets are on the Trinity web site. I took the time to read it all. It is a well thought out, student based program. Trinity High School
May 6, 201511 yr I don't like that it goes from no punishment straight to expulsion. If a kid fails more than one drug test they might have a substance abuse problem, especially if he/she knows they are going to be tested and still continued with the drug. I hope they have a plan in place to deal with kids who may have a problem and try to help them instead of just kicking them out of school.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.