Has the window closed for Highlands?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the window close for Highlands? Did the residents stop giving birth to girls in Ft. Thomas? There is always going to be a pipeline there.

You might be on to something!!! We all know enrollment is tight up there these days and we all know what sport comes first!

Ware is very hard to guard in the open floor and if she would have developed a shot and could shoot off the dribble she would have averaged 20 a game, not knicking her at all she is fun to watch and is a very good player.

I just think starting them early especially in the 7th and 8th grade hurts a lot of them, it seems as if they are the same player just stronger and more mature but as far as the game its seems to be the same, nothing else gets developed in their over all game. I am not saying they arent any good becasue they are, i guess i expect to much as the become junior and seniors.

Ware is very hard to guard in the open floor and if she would have developed a shot and could shoot off the dribble she would have averaged 20 a game, not knicking her at all she is fun to watch and is a very good player.

I just think starting them early especially in the 7th and 8th grade hurts a lot of them, it seems as if they are the same player just stronger and more mature but as far as the game its seems to be the same, nothing else gets developed in their over all game. I am not saying they arent any good becasue they are, i guess i expect to much as the become junior and seniors.

I hear ya, but I really think it goes back to priorities changing for the majority of the girls. Whatever that priority is, they tend to get a different focus. Some really stick with it and continue to keep the drive to get better. But I truly think some start to ask "why". Why continue to work my tail off if my career is coming to an end anyway and there is no "next step" to keep their drive alive. Yes, the next step can be college, but with girls, not every girl is sold on playing in college and not every girl is sold on playing at the highest level, even if their skills would allow them. Again, their focus and priority changes. They will never get paid to play the sport and they start to kinda "move on" earlier than boys. Not all of them, but many do. I've seen girls turn down scholarships to just go to school to be a student.

I hear ya, but I really think it goes back to priorities changing for the majority of the girls. Whatever that priority is, they tend to get a different focus. Some really stick with it and continue to keep the drive to get better. But I truly think some start to ask "why". Why continue to work my tail off if my career is coming to an end anyway and there is no "next step" to keep their drive alive. Yes, the next step can be college, but with girls, not every girl is sold on playing in college and not every girl is sold on playing at the highest level, even if their skills would allow them. Again, their focus and priority changes. They will never get paid to play the sport and they start to kinda "move on" earlier than boys. Not all of them, but many do. I've seen girls turn down scholarships to just go to school to be a student.

My niece did this exact thing. Had multiple offers to play volleyball after playing at NDA; turned them all down. I think she was just tired of it all and wanted to relax and concentrate on her studies.

I agree with you, I just think the you should let the ones who are actually attending the school play for the school, i aslo agree that there a lot of junior high kids that can play high school but if your doing for the competition then that is what AAU at your level is for. Just my thoughts unless your numbers are down then you dont have a choice.

I get what you are saying CAP. Seems like the easy thing to do is push a talented girl up to the high school ranks and a few years later be looking to replace 'them' with younger players. It is a vicious cycle. What happens usually is a kid that may improve with age and maturity gets passed over for the next hot shot youngster and gives up the game entirely. What you then have is a team with few if any seniors because there is always someone younger that is believed to be better.

NJAK, you put it much better than I did.. I talked to a well know college coach not to long ago and i won't mention their name but said the problem with high school coaches is that they bring kids up so early and don't teach and delelop the ones they have. Also most of them don't develop their game becasue they were never made to earn it and recognize there weaknesses.