The OSU win should mean a definite and immediate expansion of the playoffs

theguru

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those between 8 and 16, lets meet in the middle and do 12. Top 4 get a bye so you still keep a lot of importance and controversy in the regular season. Power 5 winner is in, but doesn't guarantee a bye.

So this year if we went off the top 12.

1. Bama

2. Oregon

3. FSU

4. OSU

5. Baylor

6. TCU

7. Miss St.

8. MSU

9. Ole Miss

10. Arizona

11. KSU

12. GT

1.Bama plays winner of MSU/Ole Miss

4.OSU plays winner of Baylor/GT

2. Oregon plays winner of Miss St./Zona

3. FSU plays winner of TCU/KSU

The most you would play is 4 games (years with a team like TCU) but for the most part its only 3 extra games. Cut out the Presbyterian games of the season and I think this is doable.

Posted this in the other thread......

Go to 8 teams.

Keep the traditional big four BCS bowls as the first round (Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange)

Have The Semi Final Round

Have the Championship Game

Start the first round the week of Christmas

Semi Finals same as this year (on New Years)

Championship same as this year (week and a half later)

No committee, but a BCS style system that chooses the top 8 teams.

Problem solved.

Posted this in the other thread......

Go to 8 teams.

Keep the traditional big four BCS bowls as the first round (Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange)

Have The Semi Final Round

Have the Championship Game

Start the first round the week of Christmas

Semi Finals same as this year (on New Years)

Championship same as this year (week and a half later)

No committee, but a BCS style system that chooses the top 8 teams.

Problem solved.

I'm not sure the Bowl committees would go for moving them away from new year's weekend. Def can't add weeks to the season because of academics.

Only way 8 works...

First Round on campus, games played two Saturdays after conference championship weekend (third Saturday in December; maybe one game Friday night)

Semifinals at bowl or neutral sites, games played on New Years Day (roughly 1.5-2 weeks rest from first round)

Championship at neutral site, games played second Monday in January (like this year, roughly 1-1.5 weeks from semifinals)

Asking fans to visit three rounds in neutral sites isn't going to happen. Opening round on campus gives strong reason to finish in top 4. Semifinals at bowl games is just like this year, though if a team loses in the first round, do they miss a bowl? Will bowls be content to watch four high quality teams not participate? Lots of questions...

Edited by gchs_uk9

4 is fine IMO. Every team that had a complaint also had a loss. How about don't lose a game? Wasn't that proven this year? Did FSU look better at any point in the year than TCU or Ohio State at the end of the year? I don't think so. But, they won their games and got into the playoff.

When the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC all produce undefeated teams then we can talk. If you want to be the National Champion in college football, control your own destiny. This isn't basketball or baseball, which are much more fluid and conducive to flukes.

TCU blew a 20 some point lead to Baylor in the 4th Quarter. They have no one to blame but themselves.

So every school is going to cut non-conf cupcakes where they makes MILLIONS of dollars so that a handful of teams can makes TENS OF MILLIONS? Let me know how that goes.

I don't know how it'll go it was just a suggestion. Trying to cut back overall amount of games would be the goal if they went to an 8 or more team playoff. I didn't know Presbyterian made millions off 1 game I always thought it was like 300k-600k.

Those between 8 and 16, lets meet in the middle and do 12. Top 4 get a bye so you still keep a lot of importance and controversy in the regular season. Power 5 winner is in, but doesn't guarantee a bye.

So this year if we went off the top 12.

1. Bama

2. Oregon

3. FSU

4. OSU

5. Baylor

6. TCU

7. Miss St.

8. MSU

9. Ole Miss

10. Arizona

11. KSU

12. GT

1.Bama plays winner of MSU/Ole Miss

4.OSU plays winner of Baylor/GT

2. Oregon plays winner of Miss St./Zona

3. FSU plays winner of TCU/KSU

The most you would play is 4 games (years with a team like TCU) but for the most part its only 3 extra games. Cut out the Presbyterian games of the season and I think this is doable.

I don't like byes.

Home field is such a tremendous advantage in college that giving home field is enough of a first round advantage.

I can't get behind any model that allows automatic bids to one conference without allowing them to all conferences. Remember how bad the Big East was toward the end of their football tenure? I hated giving that team an automatic bid in the BCS over teams that clearly earned an opportunity on the field over that Big East representative.

I am going to keep plugging the 16 team model outlined by Dan Wetzel until I am blue in the face because, IMO, no alternative that has been offered is better.

So every school is going to cut non-conf cupcakes where they makes MILLIONS of dollars so that a handful of teams can makes TENS OF MILLIONS? Let me know how that goes.

Every school has a choice, you are either in it for the money, or in it to win a championship (or in some cases both).