Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell Coach

Featured Replies

Has anyone out there heard anything about Russell's coach Dodd not returning next season? I have heard rumors that he is on his way out but you know how rumors are, usually everywhere and not a lot to them.

He should be gone! Man, he's had as much talent as anyone the last couple of years....total underachievers. I mean, 24 freakin points in a high school basketball game???!!!!! :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:

He should be gone! Man, he's had as much talent as anyone the last couple of years....total underachievers. I mean, 24 freakin points in a high school basketball game???!!!!! :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:

To paraphrase a person I heard long ago, "Never has one person done so little with so much" ! ! !

I think a better question might be in regard to the future at Greenup County of Coach Hicks. It is often reported that the "powers" that run matters in Greenup County (those from the very western end of the county, I believe) are wanting to rid themselves of Coach Hicks.

However, I would think that Coach Hick's record this season (63rd District championship, three wins over archrival Russell, best overall record (by far) in the district and one of the better records in the region) deserves the respect of those "powers". If they were as successful in running a school system as Hicks is as a coach, all of Greenup County would benefit.

I don't know Coach Hicks. However, I tip my hat to him.

I does seem like Coach Hicks is swimming against the current at Greenup County.........I agree, he gets more flack from his own fan base than from outside the program..........a lot of "Good 'ole boy politics" going on there.....love him or hate him, he gives everything he has in every game, the boys that play for him give an awful lot of effort also.

I hear he is interested in leaving and getting back closer to his roots. Would not surprise me to see him at Williamsburg next season.

I don't know him either, would not blame him if he wanted to go to where the "home fires were burning".........he doesn't seem to get a lot of love from the Greenup "Power Plant"..........his would be a tough gig !!! He does work hard though.

He should be gone! Man, he's had as much talent as anyone the last couple of years....total underachievers. I mean, 24 freakin points in a high school basketball game???!!!!! :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk: :walk:

Agree. :banana: You got to remember that this Jr. class is the same class when they were Freshman,and he slammed that years senior class, to build this team around this class. But also rumors are that some kids might not be there next year out of this Jr class. With that regards. Is he going to take the rest of the coaches with him. :jump:

I recall when that happened..........he gave up on a pretty good bunch of athletes in order to play the guys that put up 24 pts. against G.C........rumor has that Georgetown, Ky. will get a new Big Sandy Superstore and Scott Co. will get a new shooting guard..........just a rumor, not a fact.....didn't

these juniors start in Ashland then to Rose Hill and now at Russell......you could call them Road Warriors.

 

VanHoose played at Verity went to Rose Hill and then to Russell.The important thing is that he has been at Russell since the 9th grade.Many teams( especially in the 64th )have players who played for different feeder programs than the team(s) they are currently playing for.I really look for Russell to make a strong showing at Morehead-They will be a tough draw for someone.

  • Author
I does seem like Coach Hicks is swimming against the current at Greenup County.........I agree, he gets more flack from his own fan base than from outside the program..........a lot of "Good 'ole boy politics" going on there.....love him or hate him, he gives everything he has in every game, the boys that play for him give an awful lot of effort also.[/quote Politics has always been the problem at G.C., even within the system. It seems like (from the outside anyway) that if you are not in with a certain section of the county that you are out of luck.

I have gotten to know Coach Dodd the past couple of years and he has been a great guy to be around. However, this year's team has underachieved and you got to think if his team does not go far in the region that the Devil faithful will demand his firing. The Dodd squad will propbably have to beat Rowan and Fairview in the region for him to have a chance to keep his job.

I hope his back next year regardless of the outcome in the 16th Region Tournament. 24 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:argue:

  • Author

I know that some are calling for Coach Hick's exit, be careful what you ask for. I too have heard some of that and a name that I have heard thrown around as the replacement is a former coach of two schools in the 63rd district amoung other places and has had trouble everywhere he has been.

VanHoose played at Verity went to Rose Hill and then to Russell.The important thing is that he has been at Russell since the 9th grade.Many teams( especially in the 64th )have players who played for different feeder programs than the team(s) they are currently playing for.I really look for Russell to make a strong showing at Morehead-They will be a tough draw for someone.

 

 

True. Almost every team around has kids who went to different schools. EVERY TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUMORS, RUMORS, RUMORS. Everybody talks about 24 points, 24 points, 24 points. That is just one game. Yes, it was bad but it was just 1 game. I believe this Russell team will put on a strong showing in Morehead. Vanhoose loves the nets at MSU.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.